Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Timbren

Thinking of adding Timbren SES to my Silverado, anyone have any experience with them.
Stonehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have any personal experience with them, but some of the guys here on the forum have used them and are pleased with how they work.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I put them on my previous 2500HD and didn't like them. With a partial load in the bed, they would transition from stock suspension to Timbren assist in the middle of every bump, making for a strange ride. If the truck was totally empty or fully loaded, the ride was ok.

For about the same money, I switched to air bags and suspension behavior was much more consistent because the air bags are always a functioning part of the suspension regardless of road condition, air pressure or load. And with air bags you can adjust suspension stiffness to suit your taste.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hi I added them to my 2013 Ram 1500 and wished I would have went with airbags instead. They work good with the trailer hooked up but they make the truck ride really rough going over bumps when not loaded
tkowalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Look at the Roadmaster Active suspension. No need for air, adjusts automatically when there is a load in truck, rides great when there is and isn't a load.
http://www.activesuspension.com/
Plus it eliminates wheel hop and side to side sway. Took me about an hour to install.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
i have a set of air lift air bags on the rear of my 2006 siverado 1500 quad cab. i love them,you can customize them with different air pressure to get the feel you want. and used the air inlet valves in place of the screws to hold the licsence plate. works great.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Look at the Roadmaster Active suspension. No need for air, adjusts automatically when there is a load in truck, rides great when there is and isn't a load.
Plus it eliminates wheel hop and side to side sway. Took me about an hour to install.

Mark, have you ever run around with a few 100# in the back with out the camper? Just wondering how the ride would compare to the Timbren?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Put those on my 2005 Ford Excursion diesel and they worked WELL for it...

but put a set on my 2012 f250 CCSB diesel and they didn't work out as well on it...

I was very surprised they didn't work out,
but the mfg stood behind their warranty and gave me my money back... just lost the install cost...
Old 06-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Carried cement bags and other heavy items, they worked well. Have no complaints. The key is figuring out how much tension should be on the springs. The manufacturer gives you two different thickness disks. You slide them in between the spring as you tension it. They recommended I use both disks together, and they were correct. I installed them myself.

Since they're Active suspension, they don't engage until there is weight put on the truck. They react proportionally to the amount of weight that they carry.

Johnboytoo, did you install them or have them installed. They are adjustable and maybe the tension on them was incorrect. Maybe all that was need was an adjustment.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We installed Timbrens on our Ram 1500 Laramie. Took the sag right out of the truck when we're hooked up and towing and we haven't noticed a bad ride at all - with or without the camper or a payload. Maybe we're less sensitive than others. We could have installed them ourselves if we had a lift, but instead took them to our mechanic who installed them for free since it only took him about 15 minutes. Great investment on our part!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Yes sir, knew they were adjustable and was surprised the 2nd set didn't work out... just did air bags next...
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I too have recently put Timbrens on our f250 crew cab and LOVE them. Not only did we gain about 3" in leveling, the ride with our 5er is much more relaxed. Drove tractor trailer for over 30yrs so I was really up for air bags, but found them to be expensive luxury. Timbrens does a great job with customer service and although I'm sorry to see johnboytoo had to return his, but as he stated the company was great.
I had heard horror stories of "banging" and "thumping" when not hooked up, but can honestly say the ride and the noise is no different than before install.
I have since talked two other people into this suspension system, one with a 2000 Ford Excursion, and the other a 2011 GMC 3500 dually. They both are extremely satisfied.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Sorry, but I returned the RAS, not the timbrens, they came out right after my needs...
so just never tried the timbrens out myself...
know of them from those on the ford truck forum that tried them...
Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

johnboytoo....Oops, my bad. Didn't notice the quote above your post! Went out camping this weekend and had a blast. Cool part was the campground is only about 20mins from home. Rained here in northern Va on Sat, but a bad camping is better than a good day at home!!
SCT Flash 4X tune
Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADMiller View Post
I too have recently put Timbrens on our f250 crew cab and LOVE them. Not only did we gain about 3" in leveling, the ride with our 5er is much more relaxed. Drove tractor trailer for over 30yrs so I was really up for air bags, but found them to be expensive luxury. Timbrens does a great job with customer service and although I'm sorry to see johnboytoo had to return his, but as he stated the company was great.
I had heard horror stories of "banging" and "thumping" when not hooked up, but can honestly say the ride and the noise is no different than before install.
I have since talked two other people into this suspension system, one with a 2000 Ford Excursion, and the other a 2011 GMC 3500 dually. They both are extremely satisfied.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to give them a try. Figure with such an easy install if I don't like them I can always remove them. Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Stonehunt, let us know how you do. Also, whereabouts in NY...Western NYer myself
SCT Flash 4X tune
Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADMiller View Post
Stonehunt, let us know how you do. Also, whereabouts in NY...Western NYer myself
We are located upstate near the Vermont border, town of Hoosick. On vacation now in Lake George, Will update after I install them.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Stonehunt...very pretty area. I've done Lake Placid and have family on TugHill, but you definitely have great views!
SCT Flash 4X tune
Old 02-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I'm leaning to Timbren over Firestone airbags to install on my 2014 F150. I put on a two inch level kit. So I took away the natural level. And rear end drops really low with Maple Country 300BH on the end.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

almost a two year old thread