Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Smile Tow rig replacement

I currently have an 07 Avalanche Ltz which I love. To me it's the perfect truck, infinitely usable, perfect for my family and fits in my garage. Problem is that it will be at the limit with our new trailer and even though I've done everything I can to upgrade it you can't cheat physics nor will I put my family at risk.

Enter the F250, it's the only large truck I like, BUT I can't decide between the Gas and going all the way in getting the diesel. I've spent months reading the forums about these trucks, know all about the regen issues extra costs etc The MPG difference is negligible when my avalanche struggles to do 16 mpg in mixed driving.

I guess what I want is a truck that I never have to worry about the load again. If we want pull to Florida or British Columbia I don't want to worry about anything other than the fuel bill.

I know that most 1500's will tow near 10,000 lbs but I'm honesty not convinced how well they do that. I guess I've bought into the weight police.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
I currently have an 07 Avalanche Ltz which I love. To me it's the perfect truck, infinitely usable, perfect for my family and fits in my garage. Problem is that it will be at the limit with our new trailer and even though I've done everything I can to upgrade it you can't cheat physics nor will I put my family at risk.

Enter the F250, it's the only large truck I like, BUT I can't decide between the Gas and going all the way in getting the diesel. I've spent months reading the forums about these trucks, know all about the regen issues extra costs etc The MPG difference is negligible when my avalanche struggles to do 16 mpg in mixed driving.

I guess what I want is a truck that I never have to worry about the load again. If we want pull to Florida or British Columbia I don't want to worry about anything other than the fuel bill.

I know that most 1500's will tow near 10,000 lbs but I'm honesty not convinced how well they do that. I guess I've bought into the weight police.
My f150 is rated for 11,300#, and it handles our rig just fine.
If you ever figure on going to a bigger rig you should probably look at the 250s. Diesel or gas would be your choice. Just make sure before you buy one that it's rated for, or above what you want/need.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have always towed fifth wheels due to the improved stability. So I've always used pickups, first 1500, then 2500HD and now the 3500 (1st tow is this week). My crew cab still fits in my garage, just barely, and that is important. Ford was just a few inches too long and Dodge has several inches less clearance for a fifth wheel.

Diesel is not a cost effective answer for many RVers, but I prefer the effortless power and greater range between fuel stops. Towing 11-12K lbs, even I could "get by" without the diesel, but hopefully I won't need to make the choice again for at least 10 yrs.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

THAT is the $64,000 questions (dating myselfaren't I)

What will you tow in the near (or far) future?
Is it a daily driver or primarily a tow vehicle?

IF you decide to go to the 250,
I suggest you do a 350 with the highest gvwr possible, the difference in price is negligible...

I did the 250 and ended up trading it in about a year after "she who must be obeyed" said we HAD to have a new 5er !

the gas or deezle debate has lit up many a forum and I, for one, would rather not indulge, but I decided on the deezle for my own reasons and glad I did --- the new 6.7 from ford is head and shoulders above anything they've offered before...

My ONLY issue with it is the EPA mandated "processing plant" of an exhaust system that makes it sound like a leaf blower or hair drier when towing heavy and powering off with it's 800 lbft of torque. The engine sounds strong, but the exhaust note, not so much - especially for a muscle car raised gear head !
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We bought an F250 gasoline quad cab. We love it.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

My 2-cents is moot compared to the experience on this forum...but...

We plan on going 3/4-ton gas. I would LOOOVE a diesel, but as a daily driver and for what we need, gas is a better, more cost-effective option. Our Zinger is same layout as your 290QB, but a little heavier. I expect to tip around 8000# loaded.

We've considered 1/2-ton, but lean towards 3/4 ton so there is no guess work.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

there are a few things you should think about when you make you choice one is how much you are going to use the truck if using a lot diesel will pay for it self and if not going to use a lot gas is way to go I pull RVs from IN. and all of the guys I work with have diesel no gas if you are going to travel a lot with camper it will cost you less with diesel good luck and happy camping Jim&Carol
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Have you towed with your new trailer yet? I'm betting your avalanche will be fine. You have a fairly light weight trailer and anything built on a 1/4 ton should be fine depending on how you load it. The Avalanche was my 1st choice for a vehicle and the only reason I don't have one is that I don't trust the teeny tiny cross bars with my 16' kayak.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I started with a 3/4 gas and didn't like how it would hunt for a gear and down shift a lot at overpasses and highway speeds, which burned more gas. Then went to a diesel 3/4 then onto a 1 ton. Had I done that 1st I'd be just about paid for.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We tow our 5th ( loaded 9200 lbs.) with a dodge 3/4 ton diesel and driving down the freeway at 60 mph I still get 17 mpg. Along with the ease that it does it we love it.
swannymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannymh View Post
We tow our 5th ( loaded 9200 lbs.) with a dodge 3/4 ton diesel and driving down the freeway at 60 mph I still get 17 mpg. Along with the ease that it does it we love it.
Is that actual figured mileage or from the "Lie-O-Meter?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I'am on flat ground and wish I'd get that without towing. I triple tow at a total of 74' and just under 16k and get 11mpg.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Let me see with my Dodge I will get 10 to 13 mpg depending on winds and right foot while towing. On the highway while not towing I will get 19 to 21 mpg around town right now with winter fuel I am getting about 16 the best in the summer fuel is 1+ but most of the time around 18
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

The truck will be my daily driver until my wife isn't looking and I can buy a bike again. I really want to future proof my purchase as with young kids I doubt I will have the extra funds to upgrade the truck for quite some time. I haven towed the trailer yet with the Avalanche and I expect to use it for at least half the summer before I replace it. One of my neighbours has a suburban XL and tows his 8000lb trailer without issues which does give me some confidence.

Either way I need more space for the family me, wife two kids and the dog the Avalanche will be a squeeze. I really need ford to being the excursion back.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers_dad View Post
The truck will be my daily driver until my wife isn't looking and I can buy a bike again. I really want to future proof my purchase as with young kids I doubt I will have the extra funds to upgrade the truck for quite some time. I haven towed the trailer yet with the Avalanche and I expect to use it for at least half the summer before I replace it. One of my neighbours has a suburban XL and tows his 8000lb trailer without issues which does give me some confidence.

Either way I need more space for the family me, wife two kids and the dog the Avalanche will be a squeeze. I really need ford to being the excursion back.

As many people have said already, I would definitely think long-term on this purchase. If there is any chance you will be getting a fifth wheel in the future, I would highly recommend purchasing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I currently have a 29ft travel trailer, but we knew that someday down the road, we were going to be getting a fifth wheel. So I purchased a 3/4 ton Silverado to pull with. I opted for the gas engine, because I only put about 3000 miles on my truck a year. I could not justify the added expense of buying a diesel, as it would have taken me 15+ years to see the savings in fuel. Most all of the campgrounds that we stay at are within a 45 minute drive of my home (I am very blessed here in Wisconsin to have such great campgrounds around me!).

You need to make the decision that is right for you. Just try not to fall into the "Spiral of Expense" as my wife calls it. It usually goes something like this:

First you get the 1/2 ton pickup with the smaller camper. Then you purchase a bigger camper, but are now at the limit of the 1/2 ton truck, so you purchase a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. But then now you have the bigger truck, so why not get a bigger camper!

You can see where I am going with this, it is a never ending spiral of expensive purchases when you do it that way.

So my advice to you is to sit down and look at where you want to be in the future. Then make the purchase of the appropriate truck to meet your future needs, not just to get by on your current ones.
JeremyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I towed for years with an Expedition, pulling about 8,500 lbs. It was called my "rollscanhardly." It rolled down hills just fine. Could hardy climb the next one!

When we moved to our 32' Cross Terrain 5th wheel, we moved up to an F-250 PSD. Wow, what a difference. Once you've gone to diesel, you don't go back.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

When I bought my F-250 in 2009, I was in the same situation you are in. I was pulling a 34' Flagstaff TT with a 2007 GMC 1500 Z-71 and, while it was rated for it, it was in a grunt pulling in hilly Middle and East Tennessee where we do a lot of camping. I traded for the F-250 4x4 with the 6.4L Powerstroke diesel, and I've never once had a regret. Since then, I have owned a Blue Ridge 40' fiver that weighed 13,200 lbs unloaded, so I figure it was around 14 to 15k loaded, and it pulled it great. The only mod I've made to the F-250 is adding a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags to help level it up when I'm pulling the fiver.

The down side of the diesel (and it's still worth it):
1. Fuel mileage is not great, especially with the exhaust filter regen. I get about 16 unloaded and around 9.5 to 10.5 pulling, depending on terrain and speed.
2. Routine maintenance is expensive. I had the oil, oil filter, and fuel filters changed at the Ford dealer and it was $232.00! I dropped my teeth! I only change the fuel filters every 10k or so, but it does hold 15 quarts of oil, so it's going to be fairly expensive even if you do it yourself.
3. If you keep one long enough, you will have injector problems. I have not had that trouble, but I only have 56k miles on mine so far. I have a friend that had to replace his injectors at around 190k and it set him back $4,400.

Even though they are expensive, I love the peace of mind of not having to worry about pulling in steep terrain. It's not just the power, but having a truck that is intended for pulling heavy loads just drives so much better and you don't feel like you are on the verge of being out of control like I did pulling with that GMC.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Guys thanks again for taking the time to answer a post which has probable been asked a few times before. I stopped in at my local ford dealer tonight and test drove a f250 and then an f350 both 6.7's. The ride was better on the f250 around town which I can't say I'm surprised about. I was surprised by how much larger both trucks felt compared to my Avalanche. The dealer was really great and agreed that I could test tow any truck on the lot after my trailer arrives. When I was leaving I noticed a two tone 2500 ram across the street that I might have to consider as well. As with everything these seems to be a never ending series of choices.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
As many people have said already, I would definitely think long-term on this purchase. If there is any chance you will be getting a fifth wheel in the future, I would highly recommend purchasing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I currently have a 29ft travel trailer, but we knew that someday down the road, we were going to be getting a fifth wheel. So I purchased a 3/4 ton Silverado to pull with. I opted for the gas engine, because I only put about 3000 miles on my truck a year. I could not justify the added expense of buying a diesel, as it would have taken me 15+ years to see the savings in fuel. Most all of the campgrounds that we stay at are within a 45 minute drive of my home (I am very blessed here in Wisconsin to have such great campgrounds around me!).

You need to make the decision that is right for you. Just try not to fall into the "Spiral of Expense" as my wife calls it. It usually goes something like this:

First you get the 1/2 ton pickup with the smaller camper. Then you purchase a bigger camper, but are now at the limit of the 1/2 ton truck, so you purchase a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. But then now you have the bigger truck, so why not get a bigger camper!

You can see where I am going with this, it is a never ending spiral of expensive purchases when you do it that way.

So my advice to you is to sit down and look at where you want to be in the future. Then make the purchase of the appropriate truck to meet your future needs, not just to get by on your current ones.
I would have to agree with you on your Gaser. I have 2008 F250 CC V10 with air bags and pull CR 31RK 33 footer,
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

It is always a tough question. When we moved up to the F250 (6.4L PSD) from the armada we were originally looking at 3/4 ton passers, primarily the Chevy. I learned with the gasser I wanted a larger rear (4.10 in the Chevy). It was really hard to find and we didn't want to order. We began talking about used vs New and decided to go used. Once we decided on used diesel made more sense because of the longer life span of a diesel (a good diesel can live to be 300,000-500,000 miles vs maybe half that on a gasser). We stumbled on our truck by chance and it was huge (22 ft long with crew cab and long bed). We purchased it without checking all the specs. Apparently there are still some,diesels out there with low pAyloads and we found one. Check the specs for that individual truck.... gas or diesel before buying. By the way, gassers are lighter so you get better payloAd but diesels do a better job of towing and being able to use the engine for braking. I love diesel and despite the additional maintenance expense I will always prefer diesel for towing.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote