Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #21
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I’m sorry. I have to apologize. I guess I’m totally missing your point.
First you tell us the maintenance theory on a diesel doesn't hold water. Then you tell us you are glad you chose the diesel even with the high maintenance cost.???
I know, and I’m sure everyone else does, that you are not trying to talk the OP into buying a diesel.
As far as you hollering foul about the longevity of the V6 or the V8 gas engine when towing. I don’t think that was even mentioned before you brought it up.
I will say tho, if you only put 300k on two diesel trucks and only half of that mileage was towing, that’s not to impressive. Many OTR rigs actually rack up many hundreds of thousands of miles. Many go well over a million. I think any gas rig could manage 75k towing the appropriate sized trailer without needing to be replaced.
Also, it seems to me that most of the auto manufactures have gotten the rotten egg smell from the exhaust under control. I have not noticed to many lately. Most of that was in years gone by. My cousin had a new Chevy back in the 90’s that was absolutely horrible. I have recently noticed a couple of the foreign models that were pretty stout when they passed me. Maybe I just haven’t been out on the road enough to fully observe more.

I have been around diesel engines in tractors, stationary units, semi’s and pickups just about my whole adult life. Consequently I don’t get caught up so readily in the hype and romance of owning or anything related to diesel. They have there place, but right at this point in time, that isn’t in my garage.

Again, I apologize for my lack of ability to understand.
If you'll notice that "expensive maintenance" is now & was meant to be sarcastic!
If you don't want a diesel, don't buy one, as also stated I could care less!
But apparently my opinion on here doesn't count!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
I traded in my 2012 F250 gasser for a 2017 Diesel dually 2 months ago. My 40' 5r was 11200 dry. Add the 1000 to 1500 pounds of "stuff" loaded and I was always on the hairy edge. On long runs, I hated the engine whining in 2nd and 3rd gear on steep longer inclines. Also, whenever any water was loaded in it, you absolutely knew it.

I'm looking forward to pulling the trailer around with the new rig this year!
Your dry weight plus 1500 pounds would have had you over your tow rating not even counting water if you had 3.73s. The power band in a Ford 6.2 is 45k-55k I hardly ever get over 4k but that's probably from the 4.30s I have. I also haven't have the complaint of the loud whining.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #23
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
Lloyd,

I have meticulously tweaked my WD sway control setup. But I'm not talking about normal sway, I'm talking about 15mph direct crosswinds that gust to 25-30mph around me on summer days. It's not sway it's "push". And at those wind speeds, a 5,000lb truck vs 8,000 camper that is a huge sail requires me to slow down to 55 when the wind is that much to make it a more pleasant experience. a heavier truck like a 3/4 ton would allow for a more comfortable experience at a higher speed. That's all I'm sayin. I love this truck for the power and fuel efficiency, just on some days, when the wind is gusting, wish it was a little heavier if I'm on the expressway. Cheers! =)
The Hensley Arrow would be a lot cheaper then a new truck,and would make a huge difference. It's hard to explain how it works but it's a "floating hitch". When it's hooked up to the truck you can push on the side of the trailers nose and move the camper,the hitch pivots. The trailer will go straight no if ands or buts.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you'll notice that "expensive maintenance" is now & was meant to be sarcastic!
If you don't want a diesel, don't buy one, as also stated I could care less!
But apparently my opinion on here doesn't count!

Thanks tt!
You have a good day too!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
I had a 2500 Duramax which I replaced with my present ECO-Boost. This truck is every bit as heavy and big (if not bigger then my old Chevy. It handles my camper just as well.
The curb weight of a F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 3.5L Ecoboost is 4,964 lbs. The curb weight of my Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew cab is 7,294 lbs. By my calculations, that is 2,330 lbs., or 47% more.

I used to have a small TT that I pulled with Chevy TrailBlazer. I gave it to my son when I got my 5er, and he pulled it with an F-150. What I disliked most was the downshifting and high RPM going up hills, though it wasn't as bad with the inline 6 of the TrailBlazer as in my son's V8 F-150 because the TrailBlazer had more horsepower and torque. Riding in my son's F-150 revving 4000-5000 RPM was too much for me and him. He bought a F-250 diesel in 2016.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
The curb weight of a F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 3.5L Ecoboost is 4,964 lbs. The curb weight of my Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew cab is 7,294 lbs. By my calculations, that is 2,330 lbs., or 47% more.
It took a little searching but I did find my scale slips for both trucks.

When I picked up the Eco Boost, I stop and had it weighed.
Hitch was in it, just about a full tank of gas, and I was not in the the cab.
6400#

I remembered the Duramax as being 6450# with 1/2 tank of fuel and the hitch. According to the weight slips I found that's not correct
Slip states--7200#

So I was in error when I stated it was as heavy as the old chevy. According to my calculations the Eco Boost is 800# lighter.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

So if the original poster is still here, he can tell there's definitely lots of opinions on tow vehicles. But this happens on every rv site I've looked at over the yrs, and I suppose all on here can at least agree with that statement. I had an Ecoboost, and thought it would be the tv we'd need. Then my wife found the 5er we now have, ( we compromised, right?)and I didn't think the Eco would handle the chores. The Duramax does an excellent job. Goes to show ya- things can always change...
87_Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the replies!! I do know that I am going diesel and atleast a 3/4 ton truck, considering a =even a 1 ton too. We are looking at Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Their is plus and minus on all of them. We are starting the test drive phase in a couple of weeks. Thanks again!!!
benzesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #29
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzesrule View Post
Thanks for all the replies!! I do know that I am going diesel and atleast a 3/4 ton truck, considering a =even a 1 ton too. We are looking at Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Their is plus and minus on all of them. We are starting the test drive phase in a couple of weeks. Thanks again!!!
Awesome! But a recommendation that most here would probably agree. If you are, or have any future desire to go to a 5'er, I would spend the extra grand 1/2 and get the F-350. Payload on a F-250 Diesel is going to be around 2,400 Lbs. Pin weights on alot of 5'ers will eat alot of that up. A gas F-250 lariat is right around 3,000 lbs.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I think I will weigh in here now.
Tim, if you have the correct hitch and it's set up correctly, I can't imagine that you are feeling the wind shift you around to the point that it gives that white knuckle experience.
I have talked with numerous people who tow with either the Hensley, or Pro-Pride hitch, and they say they hardly know the camper is back there. I have known a couple of then personally.
If your f-150 Eco-Boost is set up like mine is, you should have more truck there then is required for your camper.
I had a 2500 Duramax which I replaced with my present ECO-Boost. This truck is every bit as heavy and big (if not bigger then my old Chevy. It handles my camper just as well.

Now, diesels do cost more to fix. It's a known fact.
They cost more to begin with when you purchase one. Several thousand dollars more. Even some of the most unscrupulous salesmen out there are usually willing to admit to that fact.

Oil changes cost more, fuel filters cost more, and if things haven't changed since I had mine, that fuel filter is very expensive in my view. Ask anybody who has had to change the injectors on their diesel how much it cost them.

Diesel fuel in our area is not 8 to 10 cents a gallon more. It's 40 cents per gallon more. You will have to drive that diesel a long time to ever break even over the extra it will cost you..
The new gas engines will run as long as most people will ever own their new truck. The oils they have out now days are so superior to what was on the markets years back. With proper maintenance, they will rival the longevity of most diesel pick ups.

Plus, I will add, they will do it without the noxious odor emitted by that diesel. I know I know, they will say the new diesel doesn't stink like that any more. My answer to that is—just get behind one when he is pulling his camper up a pretty good grade, or when he steps it to the floor to pass somebody.

Bottom line is—you are the one buying that new truck, get what you want!
Nobody will win this gas vs diesel thread. Buy which ever one you fancy. For me, it is an F-350 diesel. I started with an F-250 gasser so that my wife would not kill me for spending an extra $10K for the diesel. We travel through mountainous areas often and that is where the gasser does not cut it for us. After only one year, we traded that gasser in for an F-350 diesel. We haul a 32 ft fifth wheel with a loaded weight of nearly 13K lbs. Yeah I know, this trade was expensive. I should have bit the bullet from the start.

I do love this truck. After 3 years, my only issue has revolved around the emissions requirements for the diesel exhaust system. This issue sidelined me for a week while the dealer figured out what the problem was as it was sooo new. No recurrences or other issues to report since then.

For commercial users, an annual inspection costs some money but that is really not a bad idea for heavy equipment. I am commercial exempt so that inspection is optional. The truck has 2 fuel filters but otherwise is similar to gas for routine maintenance. I do my own work.

In my area (Central Ontario), diesel fuel is less expensive that gasoline to purchase. As my truck is only 3 years old and well built, I have not had to buy any expensive parts yet. I did mention that up front, my diesel cost me $10K more than a gas counterpart.

Back to you! It's your decision. I made my decision and am very happy with it.

Good Luck
fuzzdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #31
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Now kids play nice
Thank you. To an outsider reading some of these RV forums, it must seem like we're a bunch of grouchy, sanctimonious guys. I Don't understand why people get so emotional about their trucks, tire choices, and weight distribution devices...as though their way is the only way. Aren't we on these forums to learn, have fun and share this great hobby with others?
RoadRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

Paul
I follow this forum to help if I can, and to learn...I try not to be drawn into these arguments about what truck brand is King...That is a personal decision...I have owned a GMC, Chevy, three Fords, and a Toyota...I have had great luck with all of them...They each preformed a particular function that I needed at the time I owned them...That's my story and I'm sticken to it...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #33
New Camper

Exactly! In my world, the best truck ever was a 79 Toyota, 2.2 litre, 4 speed 2WD long bed (no radio, no AC). It couldn't pull a travel trailer, but being my first new car it sure was fun!
RoadRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #34
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRat View Post
Thank you. To an outsider reading some of these RV forums, it must seem like we're a bunch of grouchy, sanctimonious guys. I Don't understand why people get so emotional about their trucks, tire choices, and weight distribution devices...as though their way is the only way. Aren't we on these forums to learn, have fun and share this great hobby with others?
I actually think it helps when you have passionate differences of opinion. It helps you think more critically about choices and do the research on the points people bring up that you may not have been aware of. Plus you get more data to make inferences on topics. Like here, the gas vs diesel debate there is a lot of info just in this thread. But If we were talking about a WD hitch and everyone was split on which they liked, Hensley, Equalizer, Recurve, but all concurred to stay away from "XYZ" WD hitch because it's junk, you could safely assume this to be a pretty accurate statement.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #35
Weekend Camper

new Tow Vehicle

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg Here is my new tow vehicle, 2018 Ford F150 with the 3.5l twin turbo ecoboost. Has navigation plus the new trailer backing and max tow package of 13000 lbs.
benzesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #36
Site Team

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #37
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new F150... the eco boost is a fun little engine, but having one in the shop right now for a very serious repair, I would suggest you research putting a catch-can on it before too many miles... not that one will prevent an issue, but just a preventative as the direct-injection systems have had issues in the past (all mfg's not just ford)...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...catch-can.html
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #38
Site Team

Like Mark, I too am envious. Nice looking truck. Congrats and enjoy!

John's post is something new to me. Never heard of it before, so will have to do some reading and investigating to see just how big or how much of and issue it really is.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #39
Site Team

After talking with my friend at the Ford dealership I use, a local garage, and more reading. I guess I’m not to concerned. Some have heard of the “catch-can”-- nobody I ran across has seen one, or even knows of one in use. In my opinion , I’m not going to worry about it. I still have three or four years of extended warranty left, so it will be Fords fix if there is any issues.
My recommendation for those that are concerned about it, would be to purchase the extended warranty from Ford. It will cover a multitude of issues should they come up while you own the truck. Plus give you a lot more peace of mind.
To me, this is like so many things that can and do pop up on the net. You can justify preventive maintenance to any degree that you want, but a lot of it is something that the most of us will never experience.
Just my $.02 worth.
Enjoy your new truck benzesrule. It’s a beauty!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #40
Site Team

Lloyd, we must be thinkin alike. Check this out at my local Ford dealer. Said he has had no Twin Turbos come in with any problem like that. Check the NHTSA sites and haven't found anything.

Did find this, and it seems the concern has been addressed since the 2nd generation Ecoboost came out in 2017.

Quote:
The approaching year (2017) has some very neat features coming to the F-150. The 3.5L EcoBoost engine has been redesigned nearly from the ground up. This second generation 3.5L V6 EcoBoost will feature a brand-new hybrid fuel system composed of both port and direction injection. By utilizing both methods of fuel delivery, we get the best of both worlds. Port injection will be used for cold starts and low loads whereas the direct injection system will take over once the engine has reached operating temperature or is under high load. Although it is a more complex system (nothing gets simpler these days) the advantages are obvious.
​Maximum power and fuel efficiency, minimal emissions and the elimination of carbon buildup. This motor, set to produce 375 horsepower and 470 ft-lbs of torque, coupled with Ford's (actually co-developed with GM) all new electronic 10-speed automatic transmission should make for one beast of an F-150.
Still have a few years to go on my warranty also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote