Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Towing my camper at 10,000ft…..what do I need to worry about?

I’m thinking about towing my 19ft Zinger travel trailer (approx. 4,500lbs loaded) out to Colorado from Missouri with my 04’ Ram 1500 Hemi. With a load distribution hitch, sway control, and Firestone airbags….the truck tows the camper great and seems to have plenty of power.

One thing I’ve never done is tow up in the higher altitudes….we’re thinking about going to Pawnee Campground out by Ward Colorado this summer, where the elevation is around 10,000 feet. I’ve driven small cars up in the mountains in Colorado, and it’s amazing how much power they lose from being in the higher elevations.

It’s around an 800mile trip there….the stretch from Denver to Pawnee gains 5000ft over 50 miles, so it’s going to be a hard haul I think.

What kinds of issues (if any) will I have to deal with when towing through the mountains at higher elevations? Overheating? Loss in power? Overheating transmissions and/or differential? Breaks overheating?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

One thing that I had heard about, so planned for it, when we went that high ( Wolf Creek Pass getting there) is that the Sleep Number bed (and any air filed device) increases in PSI on it's own...
Have heard of some of them ACTUALLY popping

My concern is that you may not have enough engine grunt in a naturally aspirated engine - our cummins with a turbo didn't lose as much since the air is pushed by the turbo...

Just be ready to go slow, put your flashers on, and have a good set of gauges to watch...

going slow allows the driver to watch the beautiful scenery too - We went there in August and both Colorado Springs and Durango were fabulous ! took the Jeep up some HIGH trails - good luck !
Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I see no reason to worry , I did the mountains with and with out a diesel and noticed no difference either way. Your truck is sold in your home town and in Colorado from the same factory and people in colorado pull trailers ok....so I think.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We went over the great divide around 10,000-11,000 feet last year with an F150 3.5 turbo ecoboost pulling about 8,500 lbs. and had no problems. As far a brakes, use low gears going down grades and take your time. I think you'll be fine.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks View Post

What kinds of issues (if any) will I have to deal with when towing through the mountains at higher elevations? Overheating? Loss in power? Overheating transmissions and/or differential? Breaks overheating?
If you are concerned about the Tran., install an auxiliary cooler.
The brakes will over heat if you ride the pedal going down hill. Slow down at the top and use your lower gears to help with holding the trailer back.
I don't think loss of power will be an issue.
Make sure your radiator is clean and the fluid is circulating well and the fins are clean so air can flow thru.
Relax and enjoy your trip. That should be a nice one.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Use your exhaust brakes on the down hills. Lower gears, def don't ride the brakes. If you go slower, you likely don't have to worry about overheating. I wouldn't worry about it, my motorcycle trailer/camper wasn't as big as your camper, but my Hemi did just fine the first season we were out here.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Just before starting up to the higher elevations stop & refuel, fuel in those areas are formulated for the thinner air, also by shutting off your engine the computer will reboot sensing the thinner air, these will help going up, coming down not so much.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I camped at Pawnee this last summer. It was very windy when we were there and was told that was the norm. It is a very nice and clean campground with plenty of trees to shelter you from the wind. The lake is another story as far as the wind goes as is is not sheltered. At that altitude it can really blow. The other thing about the altitude is that it gets cold at night even if the daytime temps were fine. Bring some warm clothes for campfire time.

Hope you made reservations already. You can make reservations up to six months in advance. It fills pretty quickly.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

That's right in my neck of the woods. I would suggest going up to HWY 66 into Lyons, then HWY 7 up to HWY 72. Piece of cake really, no big scary hills. Coming through Boulder is steeper, more curves and more cars.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I see no reason to worry , I did the mountains with and with out a diesel and noticed no difference either way.
You must have had a non turbo older 7.3l or the like?
I can see a regular aspirated diesel not responding compared to a efi gas.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
You must have had a non turbo older 7.3l or the like?
I can see a regular aspirated diesel not responding compared to a efi gas.
was a 2013 6.6 chev diesel vs 2015 6.0 gas chev

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote