Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I've been RVing for several years now, but have never had this problem before. I sold a 2011 Blue Ridge fiver and bought a used 2007 Cruiser fiver. The smaller and lighter weight camper suits our needs better, but the doggone thing is towing nose high. I have already lowered the hitch as far as it will go. I have anywhere from 6 1/2 to 7" clearance from the bottom of the trailer to the top of the bed sides, so there really isn't much room for further adjustment of the pin box without sacrificing the needed clearance.

Things I have checked:
1. Axles are already mounted below the springs.
2. The spring mounting shackles are already in the lower hole.

This camper has the Lippert suspension. The tires are ST225/75R15 Load Range D. I thought going to a taller tire, but I just bought this set new right after I got the camper.

Have any of you had any experience with lifting a fifth wheel? If so, how did you do it? Do they make a kit for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really want to sink too much more in this thing, but it is loading the back tires pretty badly when I'm towing.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Site Team

How much out of level are you? When you're hooked up ready to go and on a flat level surface, have you ever measured from the frame to the ground on the front of the camper and the same in the rear so you know exactly how many inches it differs?

Actually, if you have 61/2-7 in. clearance to the box and you can move either the hitch or the pin box another hole, I would do it if it was me. That's only one in. and you should be able to squeak by with that for clearance. I know I"m going to get some flak for this but like I said I would do it on mine.
I'm about 1 in. high in the nose with the new truck and I can't move anything any more to level it. I have "about" 6 in. clearance. I have been thinking about going to 16 in. tires.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had to lower the hitch all the way down and raised the pin box all the way up and I have about 5.5". I am still just a bit nose high but not enough to concern me. I don't have any issues except on a very big ditch going into my Dad's driveway (and then I just make it). On normal speed bumps, driveways etc, I don't come close to hitting. If you have another hole for the pinbox, I would raise it and see how level you are.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

It would help if we knew how much you are nose high. On level ground what is the difference between frame to ground at the rear of the trailer and the front of the trailer when hitched?

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have an 09 Cruiser I'm also a little nose high. I have lowered my pin on my camper and lowered my hitch. I bought a new truck this year and only had 4.5 inches of clearance between the bed rails and camper so I raised my hitch back up one hole. I think I will just have to live with it until I need new tires. I don't think it hurts anything to be a little nose high. I would think it would be better to be a little nose high then not enough clearance from the bed rail to where you could damage your truck or camper.

Edited by: longhauler

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the advice. I will try raising the pin box one more hole before I try to lift it. I've read some on the internet about it and have come to the conclusion thatweldinga 2" to 3" square tube to the frame rails and then re-mounting the spring hangars might be the best option if it has to be lifted. Any experience on here with that?

I did measure from the top of the bedsides to the bottom of the camper, but I have not measured from frame to ground. I will pull it out of the garage this week and check it. It is enough nose high to be obvious with the naked eye.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

"...come to the conclusion thatweldinga 2" to 3" square tube to the frame rails and then re-mounting the spring hangars might be the best option if it has to be lifted. Any experience on here with that?"

For 2" go to lippert website and find the Correct Track alignment kit. You may have to search but there is a video with it. It will raise you 2". Although you may not need the kit, it will give you another idea about how to get that 2". Mine is currently at shop getting raised 2".
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I raised my camper with longer spring hangers and blocks between springs and axles. I have had no problems in 25,000 miles. That being said if I had to do it again I would build a sub frame for the spring hangers.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2010 29RK that was too high in the front. When I bought it I had already planned on going to 16" wheels so I could get LT tires. To achieve enough room for the larger wheels/tires, and to raise the front end, I lifted the trailer 2".

At that time my trailer was still under warranty and Lippert said they had to do the modification to keep the warranty intact. I went along with it and their tech welder did a good job. He put a piece of 2" square tubing between the hangers and the frame then welded the hangers back to it. He then ran a piece of 2" tubing across the trailer to the corresponding hangers to beef it up.

After all was done, and with the 16" wheels it lifted the trailer about 3 1/2". Rides level and I have about 8" between trailer and truck rails. I can't imagine how anybody lives with less than 6" here.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
I have a 2010 29RK that was too high in the front. When I bought it I had already planned on going to 16" wheels so I could get LT tires. To achieve enough room for the larger wheels/tires, and to raise the front end, I lifted the trailer 2".

At that time my trailer was still under warranty and Lippert said they had to do the modification to keep the warranty intact. I went along with it and their tech welder did a good job. He put a piece of 2" square tubing between the hangers and the frame then welded the hangers back to it. He then ran a piece of 2" tubing across the trailer to the corresponding hangers to beef it up.

After all was done, and with the 16" wheels it lifted the trailer about 3 1/2". Rides level and I have about 8" between trailer and truck rails. I can't imagine how anybody lives with less than 6" here.

What did Lippert charge you for the modification?
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007

Sounds good. Lippert is a long way from here, but I would assume any goodtruck/trailershop should be able to do something similar. This camper is old enough that warranty isn't a concern, but I do want to make sure I can find somebody who has done this before and understands the important of trailer tire alignment. The question was asked above about what Lippert charged for this mod. Would you mind sharing that?
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

BTW, I measured and with the trailer hitched on flat ground and 35 psi in my truck's air bags (which levels the truck), I am 26" ground to frame in the front and 20" ground to frame in the rear, so it is way off level. I'm going to raise the pin box all the way up one day this week, see if I have enough clearance between the loft and the top of the truck bed, then re-measure the ground to frame. If I can get it within a couple of inches and still have 5 1/2" to 6" clearance between the loft and bed, I will go with it for a little while and see how it does.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Site Team

WOW!
That is a lot. How many holes have got left on the pin box? Let us know how it works out for you.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Got 2 holes left. I'm anywhere from 7" to 7 1/2" clearance between the bed and the loft now, so I'm not sure I can use them both, but we'll see.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

" I am 26" ground to frame in the front and 20" ground to frame in the rear, so it is way off level."

Mine was 28" front and 18" rear.

I'm not sure but each pinbox hole may be 2" and using the pinbox is

almost tit for tat front to back meaning that 2" inches lower in front will

raise the back up 2". It's different when raising the back--you gain some

in the front but not that much.

Your trailer is not as unlevel as you think. If you do the math, it is probably

about .2" rise per foot. Using one hole, I think that though it will not be level,

that you will be happy with it.

Before I put on the sidewinder, mine ran nose high but towed fine. If not for the

4" rise with the sidewinder, I would not have messed with it.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote