Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi,

We just purchased a 2014 300KB and I'm pulling it with a Ram 1500 (Hemi). I had the air bags installed on the rear springs and I also have EZ-Lift weight distribution with 2 sway bays as well. I also had a 23 ft hybrid so this was a big change for us as well. I towed it a few times already, the 1st time I was white knuckling it. By the 3rd time towing it, my comfort level increased. My truck still sags a little, but the ride was improved and I think the extra sway bar added some benefits.

Well good luck and enjoy the new camper!!!
ribzz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribzz43 View Post
Hi,

We just purchased a 2014 300KB and I'm pulling it with a Ram 1500 (Hemi). I had the air bags installed on the rear springs and I also have EZ-Lift weight distribution with 2 sway bays as well. I also had a 23 ft hybrid so this was a big change for us as well. I towed it a few times already, the 1st time I was white knuckling it. By the 3rd time towing it, my comfort level increased. My truck still sags a little, but the ride was improved and I think the extra sway bar added some benefits.

You may need a bit more air in your bags (higher psi) to take out the sag but there shouldn't be any sag in the rear of your truck when towing if you have your weight distribution set up properly. I'm guessing you need to adjust your weight distribution hitch and if possible increase the tension on your sway control. I am not family with the EAZ-Lift system with sway bars but it may need some tweaking to take out the sway. The other option if you don't find it improves, is to look at a Hensley hitch or something that is proven to nearly eliminate sway when pulling long rigs like yours. They are a lot more expensive but take your stress away.

I'm getting a little off topic here but I wanted to address your concerns. You may want to start another thread to address the issue if you have more questions on this - lots of great help here. We pulled a TT for years before going to a 5er so I am family with towing those units as well.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I am not sure how to move this to a different thread but my truck is also a hemi. I installed the ez1000 bags and purchased the 14000 pound distro hitch with the square bars that have the sway controller built in. I am getting about 7mpg with it. So far I have only towed it from Ashland Va to wilmington NC where I live. This weekend we r going to make a short trip to White Lake Nc for our shake down then June 18 we r taking it to Fort wilderness for 11 days. I've had it set up in the yard the weekend we got it home and with the exception of some loose screws I didn't see any issues but that said we haven't hooked up the water yet or use the grey/black water tanks. Wish me luck
clayracr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
You may need a bit more air in your bags (higher psi) to take out the sag but there shouldn't be any sag in the rear of your truck when towing if you have your weight distribution set up properly. I'm guessing you need to adjust your weight distribution hitch and if possible increase the tension on your sway control. I am not family with the EAZ-Lift system with sway bars but it may need some tweaking to take out the sway. The other option if you don't find it improves, is to look at a Hensley hitch or something that is proven to nearly eliminate sway when pulling long rigs like yours. They are a lot more expensive but take your stress away.

I'm getting a little off topic here but I wanted to address your concerns. You may want to start another thread to address the issue if you have more questions on this - lots of great help here. We pulled a TT for years before going to a 5er so I am family with towing those units as well.

x2 on adding air to the bags.

I was suprised, but that that trailer is relatively light for its length. listed at under 6800 dry.

Do yourself a favor and get a 2000lb tongue scale. You may find moving things around up front in the basement storage and in the bedroom helps with the tongue weight. 1/2 tons today can pull and haul quite a bit, but still are limited at the tongue.

WildWildWest is sending you the right direction here.

I towed with my equalizer 5 hours home from the dealer and that was the end of that experience. I have ProPride 3P hitch and absolutely have no sway. Absolutely night and day towing experience.

Only white knuckle was in storm winds in MN. heading home on a 6000 mile trip, but everyone was blowing around that day.

If you want to stick with your hitch, you may need to tweak it. You might be over on the hitch/tongue weight depending on your truck model and setup (Crew Cab vs standard, bed length, suspension, etc).

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Actually my trailer is a 33bh. 8650 dry. 1106 tongue weigh at the dealership
clayracr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayracr44 View Post
Actually my trailer is a 33bh. 8650 dry. 1106 tongue weigh at the dealership
I think in his response he was referring to my response to the 1st post above by ribzz43 (he has a 2014 300KB). That individual had questions about a different trailer.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Yes, I was responding to the OP (original poster),

clayracr44, my statements still apply. You also want to look at your GVWR. If you hauling with a full cab of family and stuff in the bed and trailer, it adds up real quick.

By the way, sharp truck (in your avatar).

Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks. I am just a tad bit under. I told the fame not to eat for a few days. Lol
Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

This may be a better pic
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

6724 dry, 9524 gvwr and 33 ft is a lot to ask of a half ton. What is your ram rated for (actual available payload, towing capacity from trip to scales or stickers on truck door jamb not max per website). Also a tt that long should have integrated sway control. The typical rule of thumb is sway bars for under 26' and integrated sway control for over 26'. I too think your wdh needs some dialing in but if it's too much tt for the tv, then you will never get a comfortable ride. The best way to really dial in a hitch is trips to the cat scale. Weigh your truck with Front axle on first plate and rear axle on second plate. First weigh is no tt. 2nd weigh has all tt axles on 3rd scale. repeat after each adjustment until numbers are correct. Your goal is to adjust your wdh to get your front axle weight as close to unloaded hitch weight as possible without going heavier. You may want to invest in a Reese dual cam, Reese strait line or equal-i-zer hitch. You are likely looking at over 1000 lbs tongue weight and quit probably upwards of 1200-1300 lbs tongue weight. Remember your ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded tt weight. I can also tell you that I know my Zinger handles better with a tongue weight on the heavier end of the scale.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Anaro. I have the equalizer hitch. 14000 lbs with a 1400 lbs tongue weight. The truck sits almost level. Drops 3/4 inch. I towed it 250 miles 2 weeks ago and aside from 7 MPG it towed great. That hitch is amazing. No sway at all. I have a 10000/1000 hitch for sale if u know anyone. I am going to get it scaled this weekend.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayracr44 View Post
Anaro. I have the equalizer hitch. 14000 lbs with a 1400 lbs tongue weight. The truck sits almost level. Drops 3/4 inch. I towed it 250 miles 2 weeks ago and aside from 7 MPG it towed great. That hitch is amazing. No sway at all. I have a 10000/1000 hitch for sale if u know anyone. I am going to get it scaled this weekend.
My answer, as are most of the others, was directed at the OP. Your set up sounds like it is doing fine.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 05-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #13
New Camper

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses, let me rephrase some of my original comments. I have a Ram 1500 (Big Horn) 5.7 Liter crew cab, with the 5'7" bed and the bigger rear end 3.92 gears. Towing Capacity around 10,050 IBS. I have no more than 1,000 IBS loaded in the trailer, in different location, not just in the front storage compartment. The truck pulled the trailer with no problem, plenty of power with the HEMI. What I meant by white knuckling in my previous post was NOT due to the trailer swaying, I was nervous because of the length of the trailer compared to my previous one and due to the fact this is my first brand new trailer that I towing. (I was nervous). As far as the sag on the rear end, there is such a slight difference between the loaded and unloaded state. Sorry for not explaining myself fully the first time. Heading away this weekend to enjoy Memorial Day with the family, should be a blast. This will be my second trip, still haven't used all the features of this trailer yet.

Thanks

ribzz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses, let me rephrase some of my original comments. I have a Ram 1500 (Big Horn) 5.7 Liter crew cab, with the 5'7" bed and the bigger rear end 3.92 gears. Towing Capacity around 10,050 IBS. I have no more than 1,000 IBS loaded in the trailer, in different location, not just in the front storage compartment. The truck pulled the trailer with no problem, plenty of power with the HEMI. What I meant by white knuckling in my previous post was NOT due to the trailer swaying, I was nervous because of the length of the trailer compared to my previous one and due to the fact this is my first brand new trailer that I towing. (I was nervous). As far as the sag on the rear end, there is such a slight difference between the loaded and unloaded state. Sorry for not explaining myself fully the first time. Heading away this weekend to enjoy Memorial Day with the family, should be a blast. This will be my second trip, still haven't used all the features of this trailer yet.

Thanks

Good to have more info,

Yep, your good to go. Great looking truck too!

It's a little un-nerving to see so much trailer back there the first few times.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Gotta love that HEMI power. And yes OhioMark, they are the best looking trucks in the business Travel safe with that Ram and Zinger!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0241 (1).jpg (184.3 KB, 3 views)
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
New Camper

Looking to buy a drop hitch

Just getting into the Trailering life and I have purchased a 2012 crossroads st29ss sunset trailer and a 2015 GMC 2500HD Denali with a 4" lift kit and 34" tires. I believe the trailer has a reese straight line stabilizer for it, but I will need a drop receiver for the truck to hook up too. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a person should look for or stay away from?
Travel Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Trails View Post
Just getting into the Trailering life and I have purchased a 2012 crossroads st29ss sunset trailer and a 2015 GMC 2500HD Denali with a 4" lift kit and 34" tires. I believe the trailer has a reese straight line stabilizer for it, but I will need a drop receiver for the truck to hook up too. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a person should look for or stay away from?

Well, first off welcome aboard and you have a really nice set up, both truck and trailer. That GMC should pull the wheels right off the trailer. Sounds to me like you have a very well respected WD hitch with that Reese Straight Line, only thing you really need to get is a shank with the proper drop. If you don't know how to set this up (I didn't either) have an RV Dealership set up the hitch for you.

The Reese website is full of different shank sizes, you will have to do some research on which is the best for your application.
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...id=1635&part=0

Once you find out which shank you need you will then have to set up the hitch head on that shank, ect., ect....

Best of luck with it and safe travels.
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Get a drop hitch that has MORE than enough strength...
always better to have a 25k hitch with a 10k trailer because
NEXT week, momma will want that 20k trailer
Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Hi,

I also added bump stops in addition to airbags. thes bolt right on in place of factory ones and are cheap.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Travel trails-- get a drop shank that is properly rated for weight distribution. Set your trailer level, measure the height of the hitch. Then measure how much below your receiver the ball sits, get a shank with a little longer drop than that just in case. Setting up the Reese will be a pain but once it's right it works well. Here are some links to help you...
How wdh works

Travel trailer hitch set up thread

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS