Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
New Camper

Towing RTZ29RK with Dodge Ram 1500

Just curious what everone's thoughts are on pulling a RTZ29RK with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab Laramie with a 5.7 Hemi. The truck does have a 3.92 axle ratio and the towing package and is rated at 8300. The RTZ29RK weighs 7006 dry weight and 9382 GVWR. I am am not too experienced when it comes to this, however the dealer is claiming that I should not have a problem with towing this camper as long as I am careful how much cargo I have in the camper. Does anybody have a second opinion? Would I have any issue pulling this camper or should I settle for something lighter?

Thanks. Me and my fiance are looking at purchasing our first camper and we were really impressed with the Crossroads we looked at, especially the Rezerve RTZ29RK.
ryanj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Instead of telling you what you can tow, I'm gonna show you how to correctly figure this out. This way a salesman won't sell you something you really can't tow.

You need to know more about your trucks capabilities than just my truck can tow x lbs. (I learned this the hard way). Most TV are limited by their payload. To find out your TVs true towing capacities, you need to go weigh it. Load the tv up with all occupants, pets, and cargo that will be in it when towing plus a full tank of fuel and then go weigh it at a local scale (www.catscale.com). Weigh each axle on a separate scale pad so it will give you a breakdown of front and rear axle weights individually and a total weight. Take the total weight and subtract it from your Trucks gvwr to get your available payload. Take the scaled Truck weight and subtract it from your Truck gcwr to get your adjusted towng capacity.

Now understand you will never tow an unloaded or dry trailer. Those numbers are somewhat irrelevant. You can either add the amount of weight of cargo you will tow to the dry weight (this is heavier than you think as most add 1000-1500 lbs of gear) or simply use the tt gvwr to do your calculations. Next understand that the tt loaded tongue weight needs to be subtracted from your available payload. The loaded tongue weight is typically 13-15% of the loaded tt weight.

Just off the bat, I'm gonna say you are looking at a loaded weight of at least 8000 lbs. That means a loaded tongue weight of at least 1000 lbs (quite possibly more). I don't know what your payload looks like but I'm gonna guess you will be over on gvwr and possibly gcwr with this trailer. Having towed over capacity before, I will never be there again. Good luck to you.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Sorry too heavy IMHO. Do you know your trucks payload? I wouldn't go over 5000-5500lbs unloaded weight with that truck.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
New Camper

Thank you both for your replies. Sounds like I need to start with narrowing down what my payload is and go from there
ryanj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you don't have a scale near you, look inside your drivers door for the tire loading stickers. Look for cargo and occupants not to exceed x amount. This will tell you the available payload as it left the factory. Subtract from that the weight of people, pets cargo etc. Not sure if fuel weight is included in that but it will at least give you a rough estimate to start with.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
If you don't have a scale near you, look inside your drivers door for the tire loading stickers. Look for cargo and occupants not to exceed x amount. This will tell you the available payload as it left the factory. Subtract from that the weight of people, pets cargo etc. Not sure if fuel weight is included in that but it will at least give you a rough estimate to start with.
With my toy trailer, the fuel is included/calculated within the unladen weight. The water and propane isn't included and must be added besides supplies, etc.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I found this information about your truck online:

Weight Information
Curb Weight 5,289 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 6,700 lbs
Max Payload 1,411 lbs

Based on the info above, of course this is a base/stock vehicle with no mods done to the truck (running boards, tonneau, ect...). Just from a safety standpoint I think its too much for the truck and you would be better off with a 3/4 ton TV or lighter trailer with less tongue weight.
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

To add to MidOhioHunter (Go tribe),

The killer on the 1/2 tons for us when shopping was the payload and tongue weight. The salespeople tend to either be uninformed or sell you on the idea a WDH will make everything better.

Just remember, even with a WDH, that weights going somewhere.

We were originally set on a ST Reserve, but weight was an issue once we packed up the fam. Have you considered a Superlight? The ST290RL is close in size minus the extra slide to what your looking at and it rolls at a dry weight of 5820.

Only other consideration is to go 3/4 ton.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have to agree with the wise expertise here on the forum - seems like more trailer than what your truck is intended to pull. Dealer will always tell you it's OK, they want to make the sale, talk to the shop manager/tech's that are doing the actual setups. I've been there with a trailer that is too much for the truck - makes for not so fun drives to/from the camping spot..
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

OhioMark nailed it, that option in the superlight would be a good set up for you two and you wouldn't have to replace your tow vehicle. Dry weight, gvwr and tongue weight would all fall into safe /acceptable range for your Ram. I was conscience of our choice of trailer too, why we went with the ST270BH pulled by our Ram 1500.
Propride 3P, Airlift 1000
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidOhioHunter View Post
OhioMark nailed it, that option in the superlight would be a good set up for you two and you wouldn't have to replace your tow vehicle. Dry weight, gvwr and tongue weight would all fall into safe /acceptable range for your Ram. I was conscience of our choice of trailer too, why we went with the ST270BH pulled by our Ram 1500.

Thanks,

I am a huge advocate of matching the right trailer to a TV. I've almost signed on a trailer at least twice after being told by a salesperson I could tow with my truck.

Fortunately, I passed and found these awesome ultralight sunset trails trailers!

Thank goodness for sites like this.

I don't want to get to serious but..
Last summer I saw a horrendous one vehicle+trailer accident shortly after it happened. Miraculously, know one was killed, but the guy lost his trailer in the wind jack-knifed and crushed the cab with his family in it. 32-35 foot brand new Jayco and a 1/2 ton quad cab.

So many factors need to be considered when towing. TV ratings, trailer ratings, what you bring, where you put it.

Almost too much to think bout until you see a mangled truck and trailer spread across the interstate.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
New Camper

My opinion, go to a 2500 series truck. I had a 19 FT trailer pulled by a CHEV 1500 with a 5.3 liter and very seldom did it every get into and stay in overdrive.
Hard on the truck and the MPG,s
techoil is offline   Reply With Quote