Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #21
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
As a Californian, I'm doing some consulting work here in Ohio. It is a bit intimidating to have a semi pull up behind you in the fast lane doing 70-75 mph on a Cleveland freeway and flash his lights at you to move over so he can pass. I do like the fact that California limits the speed of semi trucks to 55 mph and limits them to the two right lanes on a 3 or 4 lane highway.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
As a Californian, I'm doing some consulting work here in Ohio. It is a bit intimidating to have a semi pull up behind you in the fast lane doing 70-75 mph on a Cleveland freeway and flash his lights at you to move over so he can pass. I do like the fact that California limits the speed of semi trucks to 55 mph and limits them to the two right lanes on a 3 or 4 lane highway.

D.
Just to clarify Steve's comment, you can only drive in the two right most lanes while towing when on a freeway in CA.
If you drive on a 4 lane divided hwy, not restricted, you must drive in the right two lanes, except when making a left hand turn and have to merge to the left to do so.
You still can't drive in the inside lanes of a restricted road or freeway as I understand it.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Just to clarify Steve's comment, you can only drive in the two right most lanes while towing when on a freeway in CA.
If you drive on a 4 lane divided hwy, not restricted, you must drive in the right two lanes, except when making a left hand turn and have to merge to the left to do so.
You still can't drive in the inside lanes of a restricted road or freeway as I understand it.
That summary sounds correct to me Bob...
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

Most of our speed limits in CO are 75 for Istate, they drop in most cities and go back up for open roads. Many, myself included, do go over 65. Are there any trailer tires that have a speed rating closer to 75?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Most of our speed limits in CO are 75 for Istate, they drop in most cities and go back up for open roads. Many, myself included, do go over 65. Are there any trailer tires that have a speed rating closer to 75?
Yes. There's also charts that show an increas in tire pressure and/or reduction in trailer weight will allow for greater incremental speeds. I know my new trailer has "75 mph" on the sidewall, they are Westlakes. My Crossroad trailer also had "75 mph" printed on the sidewall, can't immediately remember the brand at this minute. Most trailer tires will have a 65 mph limit though printed on the tire.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #26
Family Vacation Member

While I'm new to pulling a camper, I have towed boats, and other trailers since I was 16. The one thing I've learned is slow and steady truly does win the race. It's much more comfortable to be a few miles under, letting people pass you on the left when all you have to worry about is keeping it between the lines in the right lane. Plus to me, half the enjoyment of the trip is being in a zone with your own thoughts and enjoying the drive.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
While I'm new to pulling a camper, I have towed boats, and other trailers since I was 16. The one thing I've learned is slow and steady truly does win the race. It's much more comfortable to be a few miles under, letting people pass you on the left when all you have to worry about is keeping it between the lines in the right lane. Plus to me, half the enjoyment of the trip is being in a zone with your own thoughts and enjoying the drive.
Right On! My thoughts exactly. I never travel more than 60-65mph. sometimes slower. Rather have everyone pass us and go on their way than to put ourselves in any kind of dangerous circumstances.
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

I heard somewhere that Goodyear is bringing production back into the states and building a 75mph ST tire...
Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #29
Site Team

I heard the same thing.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:28 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

I checked my sidewalls yesterday and my st tires are rated at 75mph. I am definitely not going to tow at that speed!
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

And now I hear of someone building an 81 mph rated one !

Makes for a bit more 'wiggle room' for sure !

And, IMHO, if your setup is rated for it, and conditions are safe for it, and you are competent to do it, speed is not the problem, it's the speed difference that creates 'situations'...

On I-10 in west texas where it is straight for 100 miles, you best be ready to move over if you are in the left lane doing 75... I call it the Autobarn
Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #32
Full Time Camper

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html

The new Goodyear tire is the Endurance and will be made in USA
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
And now I hear of someone building an 81 mph rated one !

Makes for a bit more 'wiggle room' for sure !

And, IMHO, if your setup is rated for it, and conditions are safe for it, and you are competent to do it, speed is not the problem, it's the speed difference that creates 'situations'...

On I-10 in west texas where it is straight for 100 miles, you best be ready to move over if you are in the left lane doing 75... I call it the Autobarn

The part about competency is the big issue. I have seen an awful lot of people towing or driving big rigs that shouldn't be allowed to do so.
I would like to see a mandatory law for drivers to be tested in order to tow or drive an RV.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #34
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
The part about competency is the big issue. I have seen an awful lot of people towing or driving big rigs that shouldn't be allowed to do so.
I would like to see a mandatory law for drivers to be tested in order to tow or drive an RV.
It will NEVER happen, the RVIA wouldn't let it happen as their sales would drop by 75% because from what I've witnessed there are that many driving big diesel pushers that can't walk without a walker & even more towing too much trailer with not near enough tow vehicle.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #35
Site Team

Doesn't CA. require some type of additional license now?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #36
Full Time Camper

Hey Danny, I resemble that remark
Too many knee surgeries from sports will have me with a walker soon - but doesn't affect driving at all

I know in Texas there's a special license for anything towing 10k+ pounds or if the weight of the coach is over 26k ??? IIRC, sorry, got my special license a while back and don't remember the rules...
(Actually should have had the Texas noncommercial Class B Exempt license when towing the FAT redwood, but didn't know it at the time !)