Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
New Camper

We added a rack to the rear of our Zinger trailer to carry our generator, and its already finicky stability problems grew immeasurably worse. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it? We tow with a 2007 Yukon Denali AWD.
mkknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like you might have transferred to much weight off the hitch. Have you ever put it on a scale to see where you are? If not I would suggest you start there.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I agree with Lloyd. My guess is you will find yur hitch weight too low.Try shifting some weight into the front of your trailer. If you don't have enough of your trailer weight on the hitch you will have handling problems. Adding any weight to the rear bumper can cause handling issues on many rigs by leveraging the weight off the hitch.

I'm not familiar enough with the Denali to know if it is the biggest Yukon with a wheel base like the Suburban or if it is the shortermodel. I can tell you that I towed 2 differenttrailers with both a 72 full size blazer and an 84full size GMC Jimmey for about 16 -18 years. Both have a wheel base that I consider to be too short for towing anything longer than 24 ft. My last straight pull was a 24 ft bunkmodel and sometimes in wind or when being passed bybig rigs or buses I wasn't sure which vehicle was in control, the trailer or the truck. The longer wheel base suburbanmy friend had did much better towing the same rig.

You didn't mention how long your Zinger is or what type of hitch you have. Anything you can do to stabilize the tow should be considered, such asa load distributionhitch with anti-sway controls and gettingthe trailer level with more weight in the front. You may even need to have the trailer a little nose low to shift some weight. The genny in the rear unfortunately is likely the opposite of what needs to be done to stabilize your towing.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Also a big helper but expensive is switching to 3/4 ton TV 10 ply to stiffen the side walls.

You could play with water tank cappacity as long as the fresh is in front of the axles.+

I assume you measured the TV before hooking the trailer and set the WD hitch to transfer the weight forward to the steering axle.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

what type of weight dist, hitch do you have? whats your air pressure in all of your tires. i added a rack for my generator with no problems. my previous tow vehicle was a 2003 suburban (1500 series) also with no problems.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

You have to believe this is not a 5th wheel asyou already stated the instability issue without the generator. Adding any measureable weight to the tail of this unit, especially if a bumper pull, will have a noticiable effect.

If noticed, when buying a unit with a built in generator, they are generally right up front due to their weight and necessity to keep the weight distribution properly on the hitch.

"Old Farmer" is right, go to the scales and check on the tongue weight before going too far. Worst case scenario will be to load the generator inside and take a couple of strong kids with you to move it.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

its not a fifth wheel because hes towing with a yukon...gmc version of the suburban. has the op towed without the generator. my bet is it swayed without the generator.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Yes the OP said he towed without the genny and had "finicky stability problems which grew immeasurably worse" when he added the rack and genny. I'm not sure he has a Suburban size Yukon. Doesn't ithave to be a Yukon "XL" to be aslong as the Suburban??

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

kurt your right. i'm not sure of the size of his trailer but i did the same thing with my 32qbs.....8000lbs loaded. i'd like to see how his hitch is set up. some are still not using w/d set ups. his front storage must be empty, and again whats his air pressure all around?