Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #41
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by br549
Our truck pulls the 5er just fine. I'm confussed about what the brake controler has to do with this problem. We have never had a problem stopping this unit.The truck drops less than 4 inches when the 5er is attached. NoÂ*I haven't had the entire unit across any scales as of yet.Our Ford dealer asurred us the truck can handle the unit. It's a 5.4 /373 gears Super crew. Thanks guys it's alot to think about.

Bob,

For many, many years, I used 1/2 ton TVs, but the heaviest fiver I towed had a dry pin weight of 950 lbs.The 29RK has a dry pin weight of 1550 lbs., which is light for a bedroom slide model, but still IMHO too much pin weight for the F150. When I hook up the 29RK to my 2500HD, the rear drops about 1-1/2 inches which is about where the overload spring comes into play. You state that the F150 drops about 4 inches. I don't know how much axle travel the F150 has, but on my 2500HD, the distance between the axle and the frame mounted rubber bumper is only 3 inches. So, it is possible that you have no suspension travel left except for compression of the rubber bumper and tire sidewall flexing. This is a poor way for the truck to deal with road conditions, the rear tires may be trying to flex sideways to absorb bumps and since both rear tires will experience different road conditions, one side may be hard against the rubber bumper while the other side is rebounding and off the bumper.

I'm no expert on aftermarket solutions, but you do need to find the best solution to get the truck level when hooked up. Not the cheapest solution, but the one that when combined with the existing leaf springs provides the most uniform response to road conditions. And verify that it has some remaining suspension travel. You also need to verify that the weight on the rear axle is not exceeding the tire rating. In my experience, even when not overloaded, higher PSI tires on the TV and/or the fiver have always improved towing characteristics.

If the fiver is not level, then it's suspension can also contribute to the rough ride. The equalizer is intended to balance weight between the two axles. But when the fiver is not level in a static position, then the equalizer also has limited travel remaining to cope with road conditions. Instead of dynamic loads being transfered from one axle to the other they can be transfered from one axle to the fiver frame.

Finally, the brake controller can be a contributing factor if it is an inertia based unit and set too sensitive. As the truck and fiver are bucking since both may have compromised suspension characteristics, the brake controller can sense the change in motion and activate the trailer brakes.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #42
New Camper

Hey thanks everyone, I had my brother-in-law look at my truck; he builds them at Ford in Kansas and he says he doesn't understand how this F150 went down the line. He claims it has the shocks of a F250 but the leaf springs of a F150 which is one leaf different. When the 5er is hooked up the rubber on the rear axle has got an 11/2 inch clearance. We measured the truck and it dropped 3 inches exactly.Anyway still researching and will keep all informed as to what we do and how the 5er reacts.
br549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #43
Weekend Camper

Anyone know which pin box the 2006 29RKS has. I am sure it is a Lippert, but do not know which pin box, The trailer is quite a distance from home to go and measure. Looking to buy a Demco or Mor/ryde pin box. Any help appreciated. Thanks Jim

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #44
Full Time Camper

The Number I have is LIPP1621 got this off the pin box in the garage. I went with the Demco last year, and I must say it is one of the better adds I did.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #45
Weekend Camper

Thanks sooooo much. Jim

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #46
Family Vacation Member

You mean to say that I just read 5 pages of last years posts to finally find out about a simple pin box?

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #47
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbe & Diana
You mean to say that I just read 5 pages of last years posts to finally find out about a simple pin box?

Please accept my apology. Jim

Old 03-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #48
Seasonal Camper

I found my sk was not level and too high...dropped it by one hole in the pin box and it solved all the problems with bucking, etc....the trailer was too high and the wind over the cab was trying to go under the camper front instead of around and up and over....check that the "v" of the front of the camper is not higher than your truck cab
** MEMBER of the MASON-DIXON BUNCH **
** MEMBER of the Northeast Adventure Rally Group **
** MEMBER of the Montana Owners **
** MEMBER of Jayco Owners forum **
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote