Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
New Camper

We are new to the forum, thanks for having us; anyway our 5er a 29rk feels like it is pulling us backward[jerking/bucking] sometimes and I can't figure out what is causing this. Any ideas would be helpful.Oops forgot we're pulling with a 2008F150 rated to pull10,000lbs.
br549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
It's called chucking and is not helped by a soft sprung F150. No offense but the suspension on most 1/2 tons is set for comfort not towing.

You can switch out the pinbox for a MorRyde or air-ride pin box, this can help alot with the chucking. You can also add air-bags to the rear of your truck to level the load and it can help reduce the bounce or chucking you are feeling in the cab.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the quick responce. A dealership told us the same thing , they also said a product that uses large hard rubber donuts mounted over the rear axle would work and not cost as much as the airbags. dDo you think adding a leaf spring to make it more like a F250 would help?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would say your suspension is to light for the unit. Try puting air bag in that will help, also the nylon ring over the king pin can sometimes help. On my unit I travel with a full tank of fresh water it makes a difference for me. But keep in mine that for every gallon of water you are adding 7 pounds of weight. My other question is what year is you unit?
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
New Camper

It's a 2007 29rk. I was told once to fool around with water in the tanks and raise or lower the tire pressures,haven't tried anything yet just wishing it was camping weather so we can try to smooth this thing out.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Mike is right on 2 counts also if you don,t have equa-flex this helps but air bags over timmerins is the way to go. I have air bags by firestone and equa-flex, they made a world of difference. One more easy one, depending on when you are getting your chucking your electric brake controller my be adjusted to weak. Youmay never get rid of all of it but it can be made a lot better.

cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Hay welcome to the forum and keep posting it's winter and we need reading material.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

If you don't want to spend the $$ on air-bags then the previous mentioned Timdren's will assist your ride comfort. However, as Chuck mentioned a EquaFlex suspension upgrade for the trailer or the MorRyde pinbox can help.

It's about $169 for Timbren's on EBay Motors and install in a half hour with little to no hassle. The MorRyde pinbox is $459 on EBay and again, basic handtools (you need a torque wrench) and a half hour and your done!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I agree the Equa-Flex can help also It is an easy to do home project Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I had a chucking problem too. I added Timbrens and a TrailAir pin box, they really smoothed out the ride while hooked up.

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...G_0955-1-1.jpg
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
New Camper

I was really thinking about using the Timbren's because of cost and upkeep.The 5er does have the equa-flex system on it. By the way how much does a TrailAir pinbox cost?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

We use to own a 29RK and I would not mess with tire pressures or the tanks to try and control bucking or chucking. Leave the tires at the maximum pressure. If you fill the water tank which is in the veryrear you are taking weight off the hitch which I think would make it even worse. I have the Timbrens on my truck and it does improve ride quality when towing and keeps our rig level. You will not know you have them unloaded. I know George Ball on this forum has replaced the pin box on his 29RK with an after market setup but I can't remember which one he has and I just saw it a month ago (old age I guess). I am sure he will chime in shortly.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br549
I was really thinking about using the Timbren's because of cost and upkeep.The 5er does have the equa-flex system on it. By the way how much does a TrailAir pinbox cost?

I bought mine from Tweetys. A little under a $1,000.00

http://www.tweetys.com/trailairfifthwheelpinboxes.aspx

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

br549, first of all, welcome to the Forum. Alot of good suggestions have been given already, hope you don't mind a couple of other thoughts.

When I first purchased my 30SK, I had an '05 F150 SuperCrew. Had the same issues you're experiencing when pulling it home from the dealer. Immediately ordered/installed Firestone air bags on the truck. This prevented the squatting of the TV only. I also had to run 40 psi in my rear tires instead of the recommended 35 psi; this is where I really noticed a difference in the bucking. So here are my thoughts:

1. What tire pressure are you running on your truck? What is the MAX pressure on your door label. This may be a limiting factor in correcting your problem. Remember, too much and too little pressure can damage tires.

2. Is the rear of your TV squatting too much? With the 5er attached, is the TV at least level or nose high/low? Air bags or Timbrens will help.(personal choice here, many arguments as to which is better.

3. Adding water to the fresh water tank will lighten the pin weight of the trailer. Too much of this can cause BAD things to happen...several years ago, saw my best friend almost flip his truck and TT because of too lite of tongue weight. Pin weight should be 15-20% of trailer weight. Usually, a light pin weight aggravates chucking instead of alleviating it.

4. Have you had your TV and 5er weighed on the scales yet? If not, do so. Check weight of each axle. This will tell you how well balanced your setup is. No, I'm not one of those weight police guys, but knowing this will sometimes show us problems that we didn't know we had.

If you can give us answers to some of these questions, someone may be able to give better advice...maybe even the kind that doesn't cost you anything.

As you can see in my sig, I knew I was pushing my 1/2 ton (and I used to bleed FORD Blue!). When I could only maintain 40mph going up the San Jacinto bridge on TX-146, I knew I had too much 5er for the TV. That ain't a problem anymore! LOL.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Deleted post.Edited by: markbet

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

All the other ideas are good,but my 05F-250 did this at times ,seemed that I had to be at about 50-55 mph and on level road.I took it to Ford dealer and they put a new program in that makes the throttle less sensitive to small movements of your foot.Its been several months sense it was done and I haven't had the bucking happen again.My 2 cents

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
All the other ideas are good,but my 05F-250 did this at times ,seemed that I had to be at about 50-55 mph and on level road.I took it to Ford dealer and they put a new program in that makes the throttle less sensitive to small movements of your foot.Its been several months sense it was done and I haven't had the bucking happen again.My 2 cents
I read the same story "remedy" in the Highways mag.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

We have a CF29RK andwe have had similar problems withour unit. Last summer I had the Equa-Flex system and a Mor-Ryde pin box installed. These items eliminated 95% of the problem. The rest I took care of by adjusting my brake controller.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

no matter what you add, you still have a 150 pick up, you have too much trailer for such a small truck, and remember even if you can pull it you still need to stop it.....it's not a safe thing to do....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

br549, I have air bags and a Demco Glide Ride box pin and when we had our PP it had the equa flex system on it. All of these helped but the greatest improvment was by getting the trailer to ride level with about 20% of the weight on the pin.Our fifth wheel wasriding only about 2" lower in the rear than the front. By leveling it out, I was really surprised at how much smoother the trailer pulls.
HEH458 is offline   Reply With Quote