Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Truck Comparison - Which is best?

I am looking at trucks, I would like a 350 or 3500 series, Diesel, Dually, 4WD with a super cab. I grew up a Ford man and have always been happy with them. But now as I look to go up in size and will be pulling an approx 40ft fifth wheel I am looking at everything. I have read the studies on pickup.com as well as talking to my mechanic.

I don't think I can afford a brand new truck, but 2-3 year old is realistic.

The studies seem to note that the engine brake feature on the Ford does not work as well as on the Chevy or Dodge.

My mechanic says the fuel injection system on the Ford is crap and recommends a Dodge for hauling. I have heard good things about the Cummins - Allison combination.

What are your recommendations and things I should look out for?
travelmyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Allison is a GM product and in combination with the Duramax engine in the 3500.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You are going to get a lot of differing thoughts. i like my GM product, no issues in 60K miles. I don't need DEF so can't comment on that. I would take a serious look at tongue weights for a 40 footer. Will all of the big 3 carry that much weight???? You may have to look at a 4500 or 5500 type truck.
2007 Cruiser CF30SK
Glide Ride Pin Box
Reese 16K Slider
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Silverado or GMC with a Duramax Diesel/Allison tranny is by far the best out there. I have researched since 2007. I have NEVER met an un-happy Duramax owner.
Do some research yourself, ask Duramax owners. Dodges are slugs and noisy, Ford has been through several un-successful attempts in the past 10 years to match Duramax.
Duramax has a history 0f over 24 billion proven miles of a beautiful marriage with the Duramax/Allison.
You can find used ones but they are scarce.
mickeyndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer5 View Post
Allison is a GM product and in combination with the Duramax engine in the 3500.
Thanks: I'm learning, how do you feel about the Duramax/Allison combination? pickup.com seems to feel the interior has now surpassed that of the Ford which used to be the leader.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys, I definitely have a lot of research to do, but I prefer to start with users rather than a salesman. So I appreciate the input from everyone!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Dodge is the only way to go. Their motor does not have as many moving parts as the other two brands. The Torque Kicks in at 1100 rpm where the V8 torque will kick in at 2100 to 2300 rpms. The dodge has a six speed trans that is every bit as good as the Allison.
Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the wonder dogs and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

This is a VERY touchy subject here. I just got a 2013 GMC Dmax, I drove the Ford and Dodge in comparable trucks.IMO the Dodge interior was not to my liking.The Ford rode like aa truck, The GM products rode more comfortable. I have about 7500 miles towing my 32ft 5th wheel. I average 12mpg.towing, and 17 every day driving.Ours is very smooth towing, we can average 600 miles a day with no problem.
tramguage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

my suggestion is to drive each three and take a look at the interior and exterior styling of each. I just purchased a 2500 RAM Diesel and couldn't be happier. The big sell for me was the mega cab which neither of other two came even close in cab size. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of them - all have big backer and big support. Look at your warranty on all if that applies - I think Ford is alot shorter than Dodge & Chevy. I will agree with what you hear on the exhaust brake. My brother has both a ford and dodge, says the ford brake is a joke..
Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

As previously said.
Ford has been inconsistent with their engines. It all depends on what year you choose. I have friends that have had great success with some years and others with nothing but trouble.
Dodge has a great engine. Transmission not so much. Dodge owners either love them or hate them. They are less expensive than Ford or Chevy/GM.
Based on my research and the fact that I'm a Chevy guy I recently purchased a 2009 Chevy 3500HD with the 6.6L Duramax with the Allison Transmission. My opinion they are the best overall combo.
Rumor is Ford may be working a deal for a Cummins with an Allison. Now that would be the ultimate combo.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote