Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
New Camper

Warning signal when connected to Silverado

Recently when trailer is hooked to the truck I receive a warning saying that the trailer is not hooked up. Within seconds the system advises that the trailer is attached. Off and on, off and on with the warning beep.
What should I try?
Philandjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

(Bad Ground)-Mine did the same thing last year. It was the ground for the female trailer hookup on the bumper of the truck. I located the ground wire that was attached to the frame under a self tapping screw (could be a bolt). I unscrewed and removed the ground wire, sanded the frame where it was screwed to the frame. Sanded the round O fitting on the end of the ground wire and reattached it to the frame. Problem solved.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If the ground does not fix the issue, you might check the trailer brake control module. Mine failed, and I got "service trailer brakes", but it is my understanding it can cause other issues as well. I picked the module up on Amazon for about 40 bucks. A breeze to install. Hardest part was dropping my spare tire.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Mine first said service trailer brakes. Then started saying trailer not connected, trailer connected, over and over. Hopefully it’s just the ground wire like it was mine.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

My husband's truck did that. We ended up taking it in and it was sensor inside the hitch that needed to be replaced.
lorangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Start with the basics.
Are your connections good an clean? No blueish coatings?
Do both truck and trailer have connectors in good shape and sealed good on the wire inlets? If not you may need to check the inside of the plug itself for bad or corroded connections.

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Had the same thing my self it was the plug on the truck there is a little chip inside that plug that tell the truck when the trailer is hooked up it goes bad. My dealer had it stock under warranty hope your is to.
Watch Dog "Dyson"
usfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philandjane View Post
Recently when trailer is hooked to the truck I receive a warning saying that the trailer is not hooked up. Within seconds the system advises that the trailer is attached. Off and on, off and on with the warning beep.
What should I try?
If you can connect your truck to another RV and see if the error exists, that should tell you where the problem is, truck or RV.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
New Camper

Trailer connection on silverado

My wire had been routed through the frame and it had worn a bare spot that was shorting the signal out
Yackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I know this thread is about the Silverado but I have a similar problem with my Ford F-250, here goes...

2006 Ford F-250 with integrated brake controller
2014 ST32RL

During a trip, when applying the brakes, MOST but not ALL of the time, I get a "Trailer Fault" warning on my dash display. The warning will usually stay on the display until I hit the Reset button but sometimes it will clear itself.

Here are the facts:
a) I also used to get the fault when towing the same 32RL with my previous F-150 truck.

b) I do NOT get the fault when towing my other 14 foot utility trailer with electric brakes

c) Based on the previous two facts, I'm confident that the problem is with the 32RL. Here's what I have checked:

1) I used sandpaper to clean all of the contacts on the 32RL 7pin connector
2) I opened the junction box where the 7pin cable connects to the 32RL wiring. All connections looked good and tight
3) The 32RL wiring goes up into the winter package and then comes out at the axles. I inspected all of the wiring at the axles and didn't see any breaks/cut in the insulation.
4) I pulled the breakaway pin and then checked all 4 tires to see if the brakes engaged, they did.

I haven't pulled the drums yet since in my novice mechanic brain, things must be okay if the brakes are engaging.

Is there anything else to check before going for the drums? I've learned a lot from these forums and am interested to hear what you suggest.

And, of course, THANKS in advance...
Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Had a problem with the brake wiring that runs inside the axles, the insulation was bare causing intermitant shorting. I installed new wiring on the outside of the axle, problem solved.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

A follow-up to my problem, the solution ended up being replacing the campers 7-way connector cable. This cable is approx. 6 feet long and runs to a "junction box" right below the propane tanks. My cable had an intermittent problem that only could be reproduced when you bent the cable a certain way. Apparently when traveling down the road, the wind would cause the short to occur. Since the cable has been replaced everything with the brakes has been good as gold.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for posting an update.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Wow, Got to say congrat to finding your issue. A short as you described or break in the wiring, it's sometimes easier looking for a needle in a haystack, literally.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
New Camper

our 2015 siverado had similar problem, with or without trailer hooked up would trigger trailer brake service or trailer disconnected. Our cure was replacing the 1 inch square circuit board inside the factory built in brake controller on dash.
apparently they are fragile, if you bump the switch to hard it can crack the little circuit board.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

My Silverado again back in October started warning “service trailer brakes” ended up being the relay which is located behind the drivers rear wheel on the inside of the frame. Held on with two bolts.