Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have read a lot of information on both this and "the other" forum about how to correctly set up a WD hitch. There is a wealth of information out there, but have been wondering about how it may apply to my configuration.

Most of the guides out there tell you that a properly adjusted WD hitch will cause both the front and back of your truck to settle by the same amount (or that the back should settle by no more than 1" further than the front). My question is does this general rule of thumb also apply to a sport model truck that typically rides with the back 1.5" higher than the front?

Details: I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota "Sport" model (Quad-cab 4x4 with the 4.7 liter V8). By itself the front wheel well measures 36" and the back wheel well measures 37.5". With the trailer connected and the WD bars engaged as configured by the dealer the truck sits perfectly level with both the front and back wheel wells measuring 36". Unfortunately I have the maximum number of links dangling free on the EAZ-lift trunion bars, so I unable to engage the bars any further without adjusting the hitch-ball assembly to tilt further down.

My question is - is it worth it to go through the trouble of adjusting the hitch-ball assembly so that I can attempt to get both the front and back of my truck to settle by the same amount, or is it acceptable in this case since the truck sits perfectly level?

Thanks as always for the great advice everyone provides!
Scott

Edited by: scottw

2011 Slingshot 29BHS

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...29BHwithTV.jpg
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I always had my suburban and TT set so that both units sat level. That gave me the best ride on both smooth and bumpy roads. The real test is if the front wheels are "too light" on the road which could cause loss of steering in rain or on bumpy roads.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The even settling of your truck is valid even ona sport model with a steep "rake" (rear is higher than the front). You are distributing the weight evenly, so truck should settle evenly (maybe a bit more on the rear, but not much).

Our Trailblazer EXT has a steep rake, but front/rear drop about the same. This keeps weight on your steers...muy importanto
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

From what I understand (keep in mind I am a newbie and going off of what i have recently learned)... the front and back should have close to the same amount of change (ie front changes by 1" and back changes by 1"). Another way to do it is to go to scales and weigh your loaded truck w/o the trailer to get a weight on each axle. THen reweigh w/ TT attached. Your goal is to get the front axle back to as close to original weight as possible.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote