Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Which Hitch

Hi,
I'm looking for a good hitch for the following setup.
Tundra 5.7, CM 4x4
TT - Sunset Trail 2710BH - Hitch Weight: 614. Trailer dry Weight: 5400

I was looking at the Equalizer 1,000/10,000. People here on the forums have said many good things about it.
So, here is what I'm wondering. If the max Tongue Wt. of the hitch is 1000 and my TT starts at 614, that means I only have another 400 lbs to play with. Is that 400 lbs cargo in the bed of the truck or does it include, people in the cab? I don't plan on putting much of anything in the bed, aside from a few light weight bicycles.
So, I'm wondering if the 1,000/10,000 will be ok, or if I need to upgrade to the next level hitch.
From what I'm reading they said if you overcompensate on the hitch, you get a bouncing trailer, so I don't want to go to the next level if I don't have to.

Thanks very much for opinions.

Last question -- my dealer wants to charge me $90 to put the hitch together. I was thinking of getting it on etrailer.com and putting it together myself. I'm not a master mechanic but I'm assuming it's not too difficult to assemble?
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtmsk View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for a good hitch for the following setup.
Tundra 5.7, CM 4x4
TT - Sunset Trail 2710BH - Hitch Weight: 614. Trailer dry Weight: 5400

I was looking at the Equalizer 1,000/10,000. People here on the forums have said many good things about it.
So, here is what I'm wondering. If the max Tongue Wt. of the hitch is 1000 and my TT starts at 614, that means I only have another 400 lbs to play with. Is that 400 lbs cargo in the bed of the truck or does it include, people in the cab? I don't plan on putting much of anything in the bed, aside from a few light weight bicycles.
So, I'm wondering if the 1,000/10,000 will be ok, or if I need to upgrade to the next level hitch.
From what I'm reading they said if you overcompensate on the hitch, you get a bouncing trailer, so I don't want to go to the next level if I don't have to.

Thanks very much for opinions.

Last question -- my dealer wants to charge me $90 to put the hitch together. I was thinking of getting it on etrailer.com and putting it together myself. I'm not a master mechanic but I'm assuming it's not too difficult to assemble?
If you have almost 400 lbs of tongue weight left, remember that it only 10-15% of the total because it's tongue wt.

That means you have another 2,600-2,700 additional pounds to add to your trailer. Just make sure the weight is properly distributed over the axles as necessary.

Installing a WD hitch is vey easy. I'm sure the instructions will be included but it's only mounting 2 brackets on your trailer frame with locking bolts. Easy to measure and adjust.

Make sure you adjust the WD hitch with the trailer and truck level, using the front lift on the trailer to even out first. Normally about 4 links on the adjusting chain.

Good luck.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
If you have almost 400 lbs of tongue weight left, remember that it only 10-15% of the total because it's tongue wt.

That means you have another 2,600-2,700 additional pounds to add to your trailer. Just make sure the weight is properly distributed over the axles as necessary.

Installing a WD hitch is vey easy. I'm sure the instructions will be included but it's only mounting 2 brackets on your trailer frame with locking bolts. Easy to measure and adjust.

Make sure you adjust the WD hitch with the trailer and truck level, using the front lift on the trailer to even out first. Normally about 4 links on the adjusting chain.

Good luck.

I agree, after loading up your trailer your toung weight will most likely be below 1,000lbs. if I had to guess I would say closer to 800. I believe the 1000,10000 is a good match for your setup. I have read you do not want to have a WD hitch that is too much of an overkill, but also you do not want to exceed the max of the hitch you do have. I think you will like it.

Happy Towing

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm a big fan of the Blue Ox. I had an equalizer and I think the Blue Ox is much easier to use.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Either equal-i-zer or Reese dual cam will fill your needs well. The key to figuring out which size hitch is knowing what the loaded weight will be. I usually look to trailer gvwr and 15% of gvwr because that would be max weight you could potentially have. That said, my tt was around 5500 lbs (maybe a hair heavier) and now it weighs 7000 lbs loaded. I have 1200 lb bars and it appears to be well sized to my rig. I do believe that you could probably get away with either size as it will all depend on how you load your trailer.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I drove out west from Ohio last summer with our new 300BH and opted for the ProPride. Expensive...Yes. Installation takes a bit more time...Yes..but driving through Iowa/Dakotas/Minnesota to Yellowstone there and back, Id say money well spent. I got mine for around 1800. I've had equalizers and similar. No comparison, just my opinion.

Also bought a tongue scale. I was shocked at how much we actually had loaded at the hitch! More shocking was how easy it was to redistribute items in the front end of the camper to push it back off the tongue.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Site Team

Good info!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I'm a big fan of the Blue Ox. I had an equalizer and I think the Blue Ox is much easier to use.
2nd this comment. Easier to hook up and tows nicer (and quieter) then the equalizer.

2013 cruiser 315QB Patriot
2008 Chev Duramax CC short bed
2007 Alumacraft Trophy 185 with Suzuki 175
Familyman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

mmuha, second your vote re the propride !
I watched every youtube video about it !

when we were newbies and got our first TT,
we wanted the safest as the first pic below was our setup...

It towed perfectly even with the overloaded Ford Excursion as a tow vehicle!
(zoom in on the pic and the propride is there but not yet adjusted )

When we got rid of the TT we kept the propride as we didn't want to give away such a nice hitch... have stored it in the utility building since need to move it on to someone that can use it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ex and trailer2.jpg (48.0 KB, 7 views)