Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
New Camper

Underbelly looked to be in good shape last fall when I put it away but this spring when I went to de-winterize I noticed a piece of the underbelly hanging down. Upon inspection found that the most of it was split in various areas and needs replacing from the front to the front of the rear axle where the cross member is. I have to add additional cross members to accommodate the 4 X 8 sheets. I cannot butt join them as they will be too weak. I plan to over lap and use self tapping screws and fender washers to hold. Then Gorilla tape the seams to keep water out. The 4mm coroplast is stronger that what came with it from the factory but I was concerned where they over lap as this is now at 8mm and when screwed down what is the crush factor of the corrugation in the plastic. Will it be weaker at this point than the 2mm? I was advised that it wouldn't but the rep was not really all that sure.

I have heard that the trailer is made upside down as well. The coroplast belly goes on first and is caulked around the seam on the inside then the wires are strung but not put in a flex split tubing and secured to the side walls or cross members. When my underbelly gave way they all fell out on the ground. Some are 6 -7 feet longer than they need be. The wires and vent tubes are left to their own devices when your motoring down the road and bang around a lot and easily snagged on screws of other metal parts. I plan to use the flex tube on the wires and take your advice and use solid metal vent pipe and secure with All Round metal strapping.
Yakherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Some years back Eric did the underside of his cruiser with coroplast. He also posted a very nice write up while he was doing it. Along with a lot of pics. Here is a link to it.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...eath-1620.html
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
New Camper

Thanks Lloyd for the link. Now I have more areas to look at and more holes to plug. It was a great help.

« Axle alignment | - »