Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #41
Weekend Camper

Good to hear on the short beds. I'm going to raise my hitch one notch and see if I can get the clearance I need at bed sides. Thanks all.

Boiler Up!
Baboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #42
New Camper

Because of my larger than stock tires, I had to put my hitch at the lowest setting. The camper still sits a little nose high, so I have been thinking about raising the pin box on the camper one more set of holes. It still Todd so much better than my travel trailer did.
stickcfd38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #43
Weekend Camper

Rezerve rfz31bh

Late update. Wana RV found a shorted wire in the thermostat run. Also moved truck hitch up to clear bed rails. In the driveway I got to probably 70 deg. Could have went further. Looks like we'll be ok without the slider. If it would quit snowing (in April) we'd love to get out for a shake down weekend. Hopefully soon!

Boiler Up!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #44
New Camper

Well, let's just go ahead and change the part about me being ok with a shortbed. On our first trip of the year, we made a uturn in a parking lot and crunched the fifth wheel into the rear corner of the cab. I would have never thought the mega cab with oversized tires would ever turn sharp enough to hit the camper. But I guess that even if I had a sliding hitch, I probably wouldn't have stopped to unlock and slide the hitch back anyway.
stickcfd38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #45
Weekend Camper

That sucks !

Boiler Up!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #46
Weekend Camper

Some real good info in this blog. I recently bought a 36DB 5th Wheel Rezerve (39' 11") I have never owned A 5th wheel prior. I pull it with a 2500 Ram Diesel Mega Cab short bed with low profile tool box and chrome bed rails with a B & W Companion NON SLIDER hitch. We just this weekend took our first trip and this RV pulled great (12 miles per gallon). No issues with backing or turning but you just have to be careful and not go crazy with maneuvering it. We bought from Explore USA in Seguin, Texas and they have been great and up front and I got a hell of a deal. Travel here for good service and deals.
B & W Companion Hitch
TexasDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #47
Weekend Camper

Rezerve rfz31bh

Sounds good Dawg. We had our 1st camping weekend also. No problems backing into our spot. I agree it's something to watch. In a real tight spot and/or some incline and it may be close. I'm thinking we'll be fine.
We did find a couple minor issues. Some water finding its way to the floor outside bathroom. I think it is running along the seam between the upper and lower half of the tub surround and down to the floor from there. I'll try to caulk and see if it fixes it.
Also the electric hot water heater doesn't work as well as the one in our Laredo did. Rarely ran out of hot water with it. Recovery time in Rezerve is not as good. After reading the book I learned you can run electric and gas simultaneously. That seemed to work - we'll find out next trip.

Boiler Up!

Tags
rezerve