Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 03:42 AM   #1
New Camper

2020 Zinger 280BH

Hello,

We recently purchased a 280BH which replaced our Jayco 264BH. The Jayco was a great trailer but we wanted a slide since we are at a permanent site. I went with the Zinger primarily because the dealer is about 10 minutes from our permanent site. I won't be taking the trailer offsite as it will be parked permanently unless there is some major malfunction that cannot be resolved onsite. We looked at many aluminum style trailers and really didn't notice a lot of difference in quality between the brands. They are all considered entry level and all are about the same.

Thought I'd give a small comparison and initial thoughts on the Zinger.

Fit and Finish: Comparable to our Jayco.

Friction Door: Don't like it at all as it is hard to latch from the inside. Time will tell if this loosens up at all or not but I would of preferred the old style door.

Solid Step: Great feature and makes for a sturdy entryway. However, I had to modify my deck to get the steps to go all the way down. Like it now but hated it for the first 4 hours of ownership since I didn't count on modifying the deck .

Hot Water Tank: Unit was delivered and the propane side immediately went to DSI fault. Electric works fine. I called the dealership within an hour of having it dropped off and they said they would have a tech out in the next week to fix. The tech was out yesterday and said it's the control board and he didn't have the right one on the truck. Will be back out next week to fix - said he says this alot. I should note I replaced the control board twice on the Jayco. Cheap parts from China...

Outside Shower: The shower box is right below the city water hookup which means you have to move the hose out of the way to use the shower. Not a big deal but a dumb design. Anywhere but where it is would have been better.

There were a couple other things that were minor that we didn't notice until staying in the camper for a few nights. Nothing worth mentioning and nothing that requires repair. You do need to keep in mind that you are buying a trailer and not a house. That's not an excuse for poor craftsmanship, but it's the reality in the RV industry it seems.

I am having a pavilion installed over our unit as we speak - 30x20 which will cover the unit, slide, and deck. That combined with not bouncing down the road should eliminate any possibility of water intrusion and help ensure the unit lasts a long time.

Shawn
ShawnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new trailer.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good plan with the roof as it will help with the weather. We have said for years that they - All Manufactures- should involve someone that owns a camper when they design them. Some things just don't make sense from a users point of view. I have a relative that bought a SOB -Some Other Brand - with the same door and they do not like it at all but time will tell.

enjoy your new camper
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your Zinger issues.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote