Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Cruiser Awning/slide engineering problem?

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Ok so took possession of 2016 Cruiser Aire CAF25SE on Monday. Meet dealer half way to trade and pickup new 5er. Have purchased from him before the same way and had a wonderful experience. So, we went over everything when we met. Yesterday at home we started going over everything again and found a problem. We have two opposing slides. One at dining room side and one on kitchen side. So, we had the slides out and then I decided to put the awning out to dry out. When I extended the automatic Solera awning which is over the kitchen slide I found that the awning actually presses down over the slide. I checked things out and since its automatic there's no way to raise the awning higher. Also, on the awning arm it has a sticker that say's "Pull down to adjust pitch; Easy one hand adjustment." With the way the awning is pressing down on the slide I see it wearing a hole in the awning in no time. and you can't adjust the pitch because there's not a bracket that pulls down; it's all solid. and even if I could adjust the pitch to let rain run off; the slide would prevent it from adjusting. So, I called the dealer back in TN and someone is suppose to call me back tomorrow. So, we'll see what they say. So, I don't know if this was an engineering mess up or it was added to this model without any thought put into it. One last thing; if I retract the awning so it's not touching the slide' then it's hiding the LED awning lights which is something my DW wanted. Im in closing pictures to show what I'm talking about.
1- Showing awning extended touching slide.
2-Showing top view of awning. You can see slide pushing up on the awning.
3- Showing how much slide has to be retracted to keep from touching slide.
4- Showing corner of slide and the dent in awning from the slide after I retracted it back. And it had only been extended for about two minutes.
5-Last showing sticker: Ref: Adjusting the pitch.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's the manual for that awning. Maybe the directions for pitch can help you. https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...awning-web.pdf

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the manual: I don't have a joint on the articulating arm that can be pulled down. So, that's why pitch can't be adjusted. In the third picture I have the awning retracted back so it's not touching the slide; so that's not an adjusting joint. Event though it looks like it in the picture.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 05-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you look on the main awning arm is there not 6 holes on one side of it that has a silver bottom you push to adjust the pitch. If it is an adjustable pitch awning there will be an adjustment on both main arms.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
If you look on the main awning arm is there not 6 holes on one side of it that has a silver bottom you push to adjust the pitch. If it is an adjustable pitch awning there will be an adjustment on both main arms.
Nope
Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Your best bet then is to take the numbers off it @nd go online and look up the manual. It may be a new model that I have not seen. If there is a sticker on it saying it is adjustable it might be something new that is out
Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The arm that has the pull down sticker, can you push up at the pivot point. It looks like it may already pulled down.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Nope once extended its solid with no pivot points or brackets to move, raise or pull down.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
The arm that has the pull down sticker, can you push up at the pivot point. It looks like it may already pulled down.
I was thinking that where the arm with the sticker attaches to the larger awning arm, at that joint, push up?
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
I was thinking that where the arm with the sticker attaches to the larger awning arm, at that joint, push up?
Nope solid once extended. There is not pivot points.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

In pic 2 it looks like the awning rail could be moved higher to avoid rubbing on the slide
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Well I got an email from the owner of the RV dealership that I purchased the 5er through in TN saying that Micheal from his service dept. would be calling me after lunch. So about 4:00 Michael called and started off by saying that he had looked at the pictures and told me that the slide has plastic corners specifically so it won't damage the awning. As an RV owner of 18 years I have never known any awning to press down on a slide. I ask him "so your saying that the awning is suppose to be tight against the slide top"? Then he said well it wasn't that way when it left here. I took that as if he was implying that I had done something to the slide or the awning. So I said " So your saying that you had the slide all the way out and had extended the awning all the way and it wasn't touching the top of the slide"? He said; No it didn't touch it when it was here. So I then said well all I know is I put the slide out when I got home and then extended the awning and it went down overtop of the slide like the picture shows. Then Michael said well you have the awning pitched on one side according to the picture and that's why it's touching the slide. I explained to him that the picture that I sent with the awning arm bent was because I had retracted the awning until it wasn't touching the slide top and that these awning arms doesn't have a pivot point to drop the pitch. I also told him that if I retract the awning so it's not touching the slide then you can't use the awning lights because it's rolled back up in the awning. Then Michael said Well I can't exactly do anything about it from here. I told him I didn't expect him to fix it from there I was just trying to figure out why it was doing that. He said well it could be a manufacture defect I don't know and again said I can't exactly do anything about it from here. I again said to him "I didn't ask you to and I didn't ask you to come to me to fix it". So, I didn't exactly get a warm and cozy feeling from him. He acted as if I was wasting his time or maybe he was trying to cover his self that he didn't see it there. Anyway, to say the least I wasn't happy with the conversation at all today and I sent an email to the owner explaining the same conversation. So I will wait to here from him or maybe I will try to contact Thor which I think owns Crossroad Rvs to see if they can shed some light on the situation. I might have to put noodles across the top and use it as is. Time will tell. PS the owner of the RV dealership has always been absolutely nice and respectful to me so maybe he will call me back tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Owner called me this morning and apoligised for Michael. Seems his best friend just died and his funeral was yesterday. Also then his dad was in a bad accident yesterday. He said he wasn't making excuses for him and he was sorry. Also said he had forwarded my pictures to Crossroads and hopefully he would get back to me by Monday.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

In the pix it looks like they mounted it to low on the trailer. If it was moved up 4 " would it clear the slide then
Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I think so.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Papa-T, I was at my campsite today looking at my awning and thought of you. So I looked closer and see that mine looks like yours as far as the adjustment. The pivot by the sticker allows it to raise or lower. Just pull down on the part closer to the trailer to lower, or push and straighten it to raise. I don't know if it will bring it off your slide though. Mine will also touch if it has too much of a bend in it. I included pictures of it bent and straight (no jokes guys)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (149.2 KB, 8 views)
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Here's the bent pic that wouldn't load on the first reply...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (159.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Steve if you look at your picture and then look at mine you will see mine is different. Even though I have the sticker; I don't have the pivot point in the small part of the arm to drop the pitch. Mine straightens out and I don't have the pivot. The picture shows my awning retracted back until it's not touching the slide. That's why it looks like a pivot point. But once extended all the way this arm is straight.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Steve if you look at your picture and then look at mine you will see mine is different. Even though I have the sticker; I don't have the pivot point in the small part of the arm to drop the pitch. Mine straightens out and I don't have the pivot. The picture shows my awning retracted back until it's not touching the slide. That's why it looks like a pivot point. But once extended all the way this arm is straight.
I see now what you're saying, buy is the rear of that thicker arm that joins the smaller one solid, or does it have a cavity? From the side it looks like that silver pin should be a pivot point. I do see the difference in ours though...
Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Here's a pic from further away. Not sure why yours doesn't have extra piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (226.0 KB, 7 views)