Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Mounting Dish to Roof - Sunset Trail

I have a Sunset Trail 26BH, and recently bought a Winegard Carryout automatic satellite dish that im going to mount to the roof. My roof is not a "walkable" roof. It *appears* to be aluminum joists with luan sheathing between them. The carryout has 3 legs for screwing into the roof.

What would you all suggest for mounting? Just screw into the luan? Screw one leg into a joist and the other to the luan? Rivet all three? I just want to make sure that this will be strong enough to hold onto the dish without losing it some day on the highway.
mikemaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Team

You will have to find out and keep in mind how high that will stick above the RV. You certainly don't want to clean it off going under a low bridge or tree limbs.

If you are set on mounting it to your roof, and are fearful of lack of support for anchoring it, you could get something to span the distance between rafters and secure it to that. Just make sure to seal all the holes with appropriate material.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yea my question is how high does your roof sit now and how tall is the dish. I agree with Lloyd I would want to mount something like aluminum tubing from joist to joist and then mount dish on that for guaranteed support. You might even take the dish and have the tubing welded in a triangle to match the dishes mounting arms with extensions to mount to the joist. However, I would be afraid limbs or something would damage the dish unless it's made really tough and wouldn't crack the first limb that contacts it.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Yea my question is how high does your roof sit now and how tall is the dish. I agree with Lloyd I would want to mount something like aluminum tubing from joist to joist and then mount dish on that for guaranteed support. You might even take the dish and have the tubing welded in a triangle to match the dishes mounting arms with extensions to mount to the joist. However, I would be afraid limbs or something would damage the dish unless it's made really tough and wouldn't crack the first limb that contacts it.
The dish is slightly taller than the AC unit, but not by much. Aluminum flat bar might be the ticket...

Old 05-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Site Team

I would hope the being it's designed for an RV, that it will clear bridges. And I'm pretty sure the trusses are made of wood and not aluminum.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I would hope the being it's designed for an RV, that it will clear bridges. And I'm pretty sure the trusses are made of wood and not aluminum.
I can confirm later, but last time I was doing wiring in the roof with my video scope they looked aluminum. I could be wrong, but im 95% sure they were aluminum. The trailer is a Sunset Trail, which I think uses aluminum studs as well.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaat View Post
I can confirm later, but last time I was doing wiring in the roof with my video scope they looked aluminum. I could be wrong, but im 95% sure they were aluminum. The trailer is a Sunset Trail, which I think uses aluminum studs as well.
Crossroads confirmed that joists are aluminum. Roof is non-walkable and the "plywood" (luan?) that spans the joists is basically just there to give the rubber roof something to lay on and isn't really structural.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Site Team

I would think you should be able to work on the roof if needed, provided you have a couple pieces of plywood to span the rafters. Use one, and when you have to move take the other and place it ahead of you.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I would think you should be able to work on the roof if needed, provided you have a couple pieces of plywood to span the rafters. Use one, and when you have to move take the other and place it ahead of you.
Respectfully, this has nothing to do with my question.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Excuse me. You do have to get up there to work on it don't you?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Excuse me. You do have to get up there to work on it don't you?
I didn't mean any offense with my comment. I have been up there multiple times either from the ladder or kneeling on the joists. I can see from my post regarding what Crossroads told me, how the 'non walkable' part would have been confused, apologies.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Was going to install one myself but was talked out of it. Any trees around you, will block the signal . So bought a potable dish that can mount to the ladder if desired.or on a tripod.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote