Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Replacement grill on OEM bumper mount?

After two seasons I'm finding that the propane grill that came with the TT is nearing the end of its useful life. I love the location of the bumper mount arm that positions the grill right at my outside kitchen. It is a well engineered setup.

I've found an exact replacement model at CW, but I'd love to upgrade from the cheap grill to a Weber Q or similar. Has anyone found another propane grill that fits our bracket?

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I smell a mod coming...

Perhaps someone could fabricate something for you.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

If I'm going to do a mod, then I might try to mount my charcoal smoker on the bumper! I could light it, throw on a brisket before leaving home. . . .

Just thinking about it, that might not be a great idea. Too many motorists would follow us to our quiet camping spot.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 05-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

We've not taken ours out of the box yet. Once I read the BTU output, I just left it behind for our trips.

I would imagine there is a bolt pattern our anchor that can be modified to fit the Weber Q.

A smoker is a great idea..

Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

So,

trolling the net found this..

http://billsbumperq.com/rv-grill/

Pricey..280 for just the mount, but it matches up to a Weber Q

Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

CW is the only place I have seen the exact replacement. I actually like the grill for what it is. As far as BTUs, it can sometimes be too hot when one needs to cook slower. I bought a coleman griddle that actually fits inside it. Last trip out I used it to make bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes every morning.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Funny you should mention it,

I carry an electric skillet and griddle now to feed the masses. I have an RVQ from my last TT. Used it maybe twice. I too get hot spots with both my trailer mount grills. The flair ups when doing burgers got out of hand for us with the RVQ. Too close to the the trailer.

If what you have is the same as mine, it looks like Fleming will sell you parts.

http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/outdo...0-Exploded.pdf

Also,

Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I found this model that looks like it will fit. It is almost the same as the stock grill, but in stainless.
stainless grill
Looks to be about the same BTU.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I use the ss camco grill in the above link and like it. It has a cast iron plate in it to equalize the heat. Not perfect but nice and useable.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

jakesz28, funny you mention a cast iron plate. On my old TT I had an RV-Q and the thing had hot spots where food would burn, so I bought a cast iron grill plate the size of the grill and it worked like a charm. I was going to recommend that.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Ordered one of these this morning. Should fit the sidekick..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Funny you should mention it,

I carry an electric skillet and griddle now to feed the masses. I have an RVQ from my last TT. Used it maybe twice. I too get hot spots with both my trailer mount grills. The flair ups when doing burgers got out of hand for us with the RVQ. Too close to the the trailer.

If what you have is the same as mine, it looks like Fleming will sell you parts.

http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/outdo...0-Exploded.pdf

Also,
This is the OEM that I have for mine. For what it is, it is not bad. I also carry an electric skillet that I do fish in. It would be nice if it was bigger but space is a premium and it is usually just the two of us.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the feedback Jake. That is the kind of info I need to make a solid decision.

As I said, I like the mounting of the stock grill, and the ability to use the rig's propane supply. As a grill I find it to be between poor and fair. I too use a cast iron griddle on the grill to cook bacon. I use an electric skillet for eggs and pancakes.

The first thing I did was take an angle grinder to the grill grates and cut off the warming rack. It blocks too much surface area. I like to be able to warm a pan on the grill and the warming rack blocked that. The grill is prone to flare ups, and has very uneven heat. The heat shield broke loose from the spot welds quickly. Other than that, it is OK.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 08-24-2015, 04:46 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Hey there, bumping this thread up in an effort to see how things worked out for you. Were you ever able to come up with a replacement or anything better? We found the same as most on here with that OEM grill - not great for a grill, can't use for a pot etc. I think I would prefer a campstove back there and just carry the Weber. Does anyone know of any campstove setups that would fit it or a way to convert the OEM grill?

Thanks!
dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

We have a WeberQ that I'd like to use instead of the sad little grill you get with the camper. After looking at the arm configuration I think I have a plan to use the Weber.
Going to buy a section of 2 inch square metal tube and replace the last section of the arm. Then (for temporary use) cut a 1 inch think board to just over the size of the Webers foot print and mount it on the arm.
I can use aluminum strips to create a 'holder' for the legs so it doesnt slide off the back side of the board, doubt it will come forward while grilling. Board will have to be bolted but needs to come off for travel. Bolts and wing nuts should work.
I wont be carrying the Weber on there full time, will put it in the truck bed if need be. Should be a fun little project.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:38 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

I was thinking I'd just use the weber on a table or its stand beside the outdoor kitchen and try to rig up a campstove out there. Maybe just grinding off that back burner and reworking the heat shield a bit would accomplish that. I was liking how new models have a campstove that pulls out in the outdoor kitchen more common now, either with or without the bumper mount grill. Seems like you either have other stuff to mount to the bumper or already have a grill that actually works, unlike the the thing that on there now.

Thanks for outlining your plan - that might be similar idea. Mount the Weber like you are thinking, then haul a basic campstove around. Lighter I suppose, and the grill will get more use.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I like the little grill myself. I have never used the little weber grill myself but a friend has one and doesn't really seem any better. I don't have the built in camp stove but thinking of getting a portable and calling it good.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

For years the wife and I hauled a Coleman Road trip grill and a 2 burner Coleman camp stove in our Rockwood Roo. We prefer to cook outside when possible.
The 270 with its built in 2 burner stove top and the bumper grill simplifies our whole setup. If I didn't already have a used Weber Q i would live with the RVQ. But since I do, why not try to use it.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

We just use it for hotdogs and a Roadtrip LXX fits perfectly in the storage compartment. I found a welder that said he can safely mount the Coleman Roadtrip using the two mounting pieces, extra support and with a bungee cover with lock pins for the grill. Just need to find a modified gas line or just continue with 1 pounders
Ksh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

It is pretty handy to not have to cart it around, but the hot/cold spots on the stock bumper grill make anything other than hotdogs a non-starter. Any volume of stuff to grill is also difficult, although I suppose that may be true of anything we mount on there.

Tags
bracket, bumper, grill, mount, propane