Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
New Camper

Tires standard or trailer

So I've heard that you can buy regular car/suv tires as long as they are the same size. Instead of trailer tires.. what's y'alls opinion on these each tire holds like 1300 lbs . My trailer weighs 4000lbs. All your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Carrievignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Never heard of that. ST tires are made for the rv's, LT's can be substituted if you want. But regular auto tires would be a big mistake. Would never even attempt it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

ST or LT tires with proper size & load rating will work fine. If any tire size begins with P (example P235 x 15), ABSOLUTELY NOT on any rv EVER.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Would not do that. Trailer tires are made for the squinching you get while backing or turning. It stresses the sidewalls. Goodyear Endurance, made in the USA in Alabama. Lt tires are light truck made to run down the road straight.
davidfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

And it is illegal in some jurisdictions if caught using improper equipment.
Smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Don't skimp on trailer tires. They are worth whatever difference in price, and it is not much, and if you trailer lists 8 ply go with 10. They are worth the difference and will be that much safer. You have to remember, your trailer is probably around 8000lbs, and some standard car tires are definitely not rated for that and neither are a lot of light truck tires. It is like that old Fram ad, you can pay me now or you can pay me later. Paying for a good trailer tire will save you having to maybe repair the trailer due to a blowout.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Good quality LT tires are fine. That's what I'm running for 3 years now. Any kind of cheap or insufficient load range tires are BAD! I've never understood the claim that LT sidewalls aren't stiff enough. People continually screech around corners and swerve around curvy mountain roads around here in their pickumups with no tire failure (although a few do go over the bank) so why would slowly backing up a trailer be a problem. LT tires are presumably more flexible but are designed to flex for ride comfort and passenger safety. Seems like a good thing to me.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #8
New Camper

never heard of that. but this seems interesting. subscribed
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote