Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
New Camper

Question Replacing the Awning

I have a 2007 Cruiser 5th Wheel 27 RL that I lost the awning due to a sudden wind storm (total unexpected). I want to know if I can replace it with an electric awning? Is there a requirement for clearance between the door opening and the roof? I know that the current awning rail sits close to the door and the old was always high and could not be lowered lower because the door would hit it. I always thought that the rail was too low. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations on this.
cschale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

first off, you know insurance will cover that, right ?

Might be best to take some measurements and talk to Carefree, etc...

some of the later designs are pretty slick !
Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You want my electric? I will take a manual anyday. I would have taken it off but the boneheads at the factory caulked the sides of the arm parts that screw to the sides and it is right over the stripes. Only crossroads that I have seen does this.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
New Camper

Johnboytoo,
Yes I am working with my insurance. I didn't think about Carefree but I will check with them.

I was told I needed six inches above the door to mount and electric awning. But again I haven't talk to the manufactures of the awnings. Thanks for the reminder
cschale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
New Camper

I have to agree with Harley. Dont like the electric\automatic ! I would much rather have a Manual. The electric on my 2018 aerolite luxury looked cool but if I wanted to adjust the canopy to different positions, anything short of complete extension left the arm extension hardware low enough that I continue to smack my head on it (5' 10" ) and when I wanted/tried to tie it down during steady but not gale force winds the Hardware would not remain stationary and slid up and down the channels along the sides. It appeared rather delicate and all of the manual canopies I have had and those around me never had a concern.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I’ve owned 5ers with electric and manual awnings. Mine now has an electric awning and it’s the second one I’ve owned. If I had my choice I would rather have a manual for the simple reason that you can drop them down low and it’s easier to clean. You can’t do that with electric ones. And a manual; you can add more pitch to one side and take the less off the camper and stand them straight up (preventing being laid out by walking into an awning arm). Dag nabit new fancy fangled stuff. Lol. Seriously though I would go back to a manual in a heartbeat if I could.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I’ve owned 5ers with electric and manual awnings. Mine now has an electric awning and it’s the second one I’ve owned. If I had my choice I would rather have a manual for the simple reason that you can drop them down low and it’s easier to clean. You can’t do that with electric ones. And a manual; you can add more pitch to one side and take the less off the camper and stand them straight up (preventing being laid out by walking into an awning arm). Dag nabit new fancy fangled stuff. Lol. Seriously though I would go back to a manual in a heartbeat if I could.
My electric awnings you can add more/less pitch to either end, it takes about 5 seconds to do so.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My electric awnings you can add more/less pitch to either end, it takes about 5 seconds to do so.
I can also add pitch to either end on my electric awning, but not like the manuals and you can’t clean the electric easily like you can the manual. That’s what I was meaning.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote