Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Angry Trailer Brake Wiring SNAFU - A Warning

2016 Crossroads Cruiser 322. 2016 Dodge Ram 3500

Last year I started having problems with the trailer brakes. Intermittently the truck system would chime and announce "Check Trailer Wiring". After a few times doing that, the system would announce "Trailer Brake Disconnected". This usually occurred when the brakes were applied, either through the brake pedal or the built in brake controller. After a while the controller would reset and we'd start all over again. Numerous trips to the RV Repair facility (No Crossroads dealers within a four hour drive) and the Dodge dealership, there was no diagnosis or fix. Finally, last week I went under the trailer and temporarily ran all new wire from the gooseneck J-box to the brakes. Guess what. I now have brakes. Now, I now have the proper blue and white wires and will run a permanent system as soon as possible.

Yeah, I probably could have chased wires and maybe have found the problem. If you have never looked up into the belly of the trailer - don't. There are wires running everywhere and they are all loose.

So, my problem seems to be fixed, but I want to pass on my experience in the event someone else out there has a similar problem.

Best of luck and Happy Camping.

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
myoungcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Thanks for the heads up Mark
I remember Kamper Dave writing about the wiring for the brakes. I believe he found it was rubbed raw where it enters the axle. He also ran new wires.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had the same thing happen. It was a bad ground. Unhooked the ground, ground the spot and reattached the ground. All good.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree taking the underbelly down is a pain. When I De-winterize I pull the brake drums to pack the bearings and also check the brakes. Plug the trailer to the truck have the wife hit the brake control and see if the magnets will hold a screwdriver. We have found that mice and squirrels like to eat the wire coating.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

My wires were pinched between the axle and the frame and I lost one side and about went off the road then the other side went and had no brakes until I found the cut wires.So now they are routed correctly out of harms way.
codave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have a similar problem with my Prodigy brake controller. The codes would constantly change from Connected, to Not Connected, to Short. Since I don't have a clue how to find and fix the problem, the truck and trailer are at a trailer shop.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

A follow-up. I have installed the proper blue and white wires and have taken a short (170 mile) trip last weekend. So far, the brakes applied every time. Next trip will be to Fairbanks AK via LA. Sure hope I have things up to snuff.

Sorry to hear that others have had similar problems, but why am I not surprised?

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I had the same thing once on one of my wires. It was broken right near the axle. I electrical taped it until I got home and could solder it. I suspect at some point I may rewire completely with a loom and reroute it properly.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

My problem was the left rear trailer magnet fell off and was found in the hub. Wiring is Ok otherwise.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxiedog View Post
I had the same thing once on one of my wires. It was broken right near the axle. I electrical taped it until I got home and could solder it. I suspect at some point I may rewire completely with a loom and reroute it properly.
I never did really look for the break. I have the new wires running next to the loom I used to run the power wire to a back-up light, but still have to stuff the wires in.

Another thing that baffles me is how 12 gage wire is called for as a power supply, yet the wires coming from the brake assembly looks to be about 16 gage, with lousy wire strands at that.

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
Old 05-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
New Camper

brake wires

I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they found the wire broke right at the electric brake inside the drum.
don1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1447 View Post
I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they found the wire broke right at the electric brake inside the drum.
Initially I too found the wire connection loose at the brake and thought AH HA! Wrong!

I hope that is your only problem and your brakes are working as advertised.

Happy Camping

Mark and Barbara Young
2016 Cruiser 322RL
2016 RAM 4 Dr Long Bed
Cummings 6.7l Diesel
Allison Tranny
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Yes,I hope that solves the problem and there are no other issues. Has anyone else had trouble with the Cruisers and brake wires?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
New Camper

trailer brakes

Thay had to replace the electric brake.
don1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Belly wires

[QUOTE=myoungcc;137186]2016 Crossroads Cruiser 322. 2016 Dodge Ram 3500
Yeah, I probably could have chased wires and maybe have found the problem. If you have never looked up into the belly of the trailer - don't. There are wires running everywhere and they are all loose.

The Belly:
It is a dumping ground at the factory; plastic bags, extra hardware and scraps from construction.
While down there I found the wiring was rubbing through on the steel cross members. I sacrifices my vacuum hose as wire loom tubing and the fastened it all to the overhead. Why would they leave it to weigh down the belly liner? It's under enough stress fluttering down the highway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (164.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Wires in the axle

A common problem with the brake wiring is that the wires within the axle loose their insulation bouncing around or where they enter the axle from the drum.

We replaced these wires with a insulated two wire cable. We gorilla taped to the rear side of a clean axle and also zip-tied it down. The gorilla tape was then heated and the axle sprayed with Rustoleum undercoating.