Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
New Camper

Sunset trail 2018 262BH HWH?

We are currently traveling and it got down to 19* last night but we have a sealed bottom and the freshwater tank is filled and city water disconnected. This morning I got up and have no hot water and the pump won’t turn on but I turn the handle to cold and water and pump turn on. What are your thoughts? It’s not supposed to get above freezing all day and need hot water by tonight
Clint623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

The water pump only runs when there is a demand for water. Either flushing the toilet, or turning on a water faucet.
The pump shouldn't run when hooked to city water.

The water heater has to be turned on and be running on LP or electric.
It will operate on both at the same time.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
New Camper

City water is disconnected and freshwater tank is full. Pump is on and HWH is on electric. We ARE NOT getting any water in the bathroom and the pump doesn’t turn on at all. We DO get water at the kitchen sink but only cold and the pump does turn on when it’s on cold but not when it’s turned to hot.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Have you ever gotten hot water? I'm assuming this trailer is new, and new to you?

Maybe the valves for winterizing are not turned in the correct direction.
It's also possible there is a water line that froze.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
New Camper

Yea it’s new but we’ve been in it for about 2 months and never had this issue and it’s been down in the teens several times. It has the extreme weather package.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Open ALL the lower cupboard draws and doors so heat can get in. Also look in any and all outside storage compartments to see if there is a water line. If there is, I would put some heat in there also. Just be careful dong that so you don't start a fire.
What's the inside temp in your rig at the present time? You might consider warming it up some inside there also.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
New Camper

It’s 68 inside and 23 outside with a high of 27... the let off valve at the HWH panel has hot water as well
Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lloyd and warm up the rig. I believe you have a frozen water line just before the water heater. There must be a tee from the main water supply up to the water heater that is frozen and blocking water to the WH. Open up cupboards and run furnace for a couple of hours to try and thaw it out.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Site Team

As far as that extreme winter package, don't give that to much credit. It really dosen't amount to very much.
Also, if they have a line running under the trailer and next to the frame---not much protection there.

If you know where the inside access to the water heater and the water pump is---open it up so heat can get in there.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Just a thought, if you can connect to city water, see if the extra pressure gives you any hot water feed.

I've got a kettle you can borrow.....
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Maybe it is set up like mine, and the pump is under the kitchen sink directly above the water tank. That might explain why you have cold water, as the line running back to the bathroom and water heater could be frozen at some point, but the line to the kitchen cold is a direct feed.
As said the covered underbelly does not do a lot. If they would insulate the coroplast, that would be a different story.
Also as mentioned some water lines are not protected.
My model has a 2nd outside door to the bathroom, and the water lines are routed under the floor to get around the door. You can feel them up against the darco floor covering. Totally exposed to the cold at that point outside the frame rail's.
Try a hair dryer in the cupboard's.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #12
Site Team

Did you find out what the problem was?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
New Camper

It was frozen pipes. All faucets were working yesterday afternoon and were frozen again this morning even though I had all cabinets and doors open with a oscillating space heater blowing to the back of the camper... oh well at least I know that the issue wasn’t mechanical. I can deal with frozen pipes with the bathroom/shower next door
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Might help whenever the temps drop real low to run the hot water a few seconds every 2-3 hours. I do this in my house when I get up to use the bathroom at night. I just go around to all the faucets and run each one a bit whenever the temps gets below 30 or so - "just in case"
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Where in Texas are you? It is surprising it froze the hot water line but not the cold especially with heat in the trailer.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Run the Water

Most of the plumbing is in the area of the water heater.
Keep the water heater running to heat the plumbing; gas, electric or both.
Hook up the city water, open the kitchen grey tank and let the water trickle down the kitchen sink (just fast enough not to drip).
Run the furnace to keep the belly warm.
Place a 60 watt bulb in the basement to heat the basement ceiling.

We've spent several nights down to 10º and haven't had an issue.