Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Volante Hot Water Heater Out AGAIN!

Is anyone else having trouble with their hot water heater going out after working for a day or so? Just dropped our Volante VL26RB for the 3rd time and am getting frustrated. Hot water worked great for one day each time, then goes out. After dropping it off the first time, it was returned without doing anything to it as the issue could not be duplicated... until I took it out a few days later. I called the dealer and said that it wasn't working again and they called Atwood who told them to turn it off for a couple hours, and then to try the propane heater. If it worked, turn off the propane and switch on the electric... kind of a reset I guess. That worked a couple times during the week after experiencing the same one day only use, then stopped and neither would fire up. Atwood said it was an "intermittent" circuit board problem, and sent a new board. Took it out last week with the new circuit board, and the same thing happened! It worked great the first day camping, and we woke up to cold water. I tried leaving it off all day and then tried the gas and electric heaters and neither fire up. When I dropped it off a few hours ago, I was told that they may know what is causing the problem. They had another travel trailer brought in doing the same [did not say what model] and after hours of tracing wires found that two were reversed at some connection. Hopefully a quick fix and the tech that worked on the other model remembers which wires were connected wrong! We bought this new and it has been a problem since day one... or day two actually.
ehudson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

There really hasn't been a lot of issues with the hot water heater that I have notice. Most were dealing with either the thermostat or the wall switch. Mine has been trouble free since new...knock on wood.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

hudson
I had a problem with my first camper's hot water heater...It ended up being the ground wire...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Update!

Sorry, been away for a while and wanted to update.
Dealer finally found the problem, after replacing the circuit board... and having it blow again. When I dropped it off, I mentioned that the remote control for the slides and awning was not working. When they checked the new remote, they found that the remote was actually trying to start up the hot water heater! Wires were crossed somewhere during manufacture, and the dealer spent 13 hours checking them all with a meter until they found the issue, and ran new wires. We got it back, and it's working great ~ but now our slide is blowing fuses every time you open/close it (the fuse box inside the entertainment center/bedroom wall, not the breakers) and water pump is vibrating so much it sounds like it's going to come through the walls. Gotta love Crossroads quality control...
ehudson80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater, volante