Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

I think the gist of the complaints are as follows;
When Thor bought Crossroads it was business as usual just with deeper pockets.
When Thor sent in their own management team and replaced the Crossroads team things began to change, warranty being most obvious.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

We just bought an ST28BH this spring and have been on three trips. We absolutely love it! I've lost count of how many compliments we have gotten. Each campground we have been to folks have walked up to get a better look and ask questions. We've even given a few tours of the inside. We've not had any real issues with the trailer. It pulls well, we love the kitchen slide/island and works very well for our family of four. We looked hard at a comparable Premier model, but so far I'd definitely pick the Sunset Trail again.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Hoosier Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

With the kitchen slide how much awning space do you lose ?9
Billpegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
[Most of the complaints here are from folks who are disappointed that Crossroads has sold out to Thor and they feel that the quality control and warranty have been cut.]

Crossroads was bought out by Thor years ago. That has nothing to do with their Q/C issues of late or the fact that they cut their warranty in half. That has all happened in the last couple of years since the new management came in. Prior to that point they seemed to be doing just fine. I am not arguing anything else in your post as I agree with what you said just not that part.

Not having been a Crossroads owner until recently, and that not being a new Crossroads product, I'm certainly not in a position to argue. However, you can go to owners forums for the other brands out there and read a lot of the same stuff you see here where QC is concerned. I think it is an industry wide problem, not just Crossroads. Warranties and owners manuals pretty much stink industry wide as well. The RV industry would do well to invest in QA/QC programs so that the dealers and end users don't end up having to deal with problems that should never have left the factory. Unfortunately, the RV manufacturers don't seem to see the need for it.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

I would certainly agree about the owners manual. They are so vague it's just funny.
And the 1 yr warrantys are really 6 months here, as they are under snow for the other six.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Yeah, I'd bet the average new RV gets less than 30 days use out of the one year warranty.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Thats true, so they really shouldn't have any problems for the first " year".
Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
[Most of the complaints here are from folks who are disappointed that Crossroads has sold out to Thor and they feel that the quality control and warranty have been cut.]

Crossroads was bought out by Thor years ago. That has nothing to do with their Q/C issues of late or the fact that they cut their warranty in half. That has all happened in the last couple of years since the new management came in. Prior to that point they seemed to be doing just fine. I am not arguing anything else in your post as I agree with what you said just not that part.Â*
Â*
Not having been a Crossroads owner until recently, and that not being a new Crossroads product, I'm certainly not in a position to argue. However, you can go to owners forums for the other brands out there and read a lot of the same stuff you see here where QC is concerned. I think it is an industry wide problem, not just Crossroads. Warranties and owners manuals pretty much stink industry wide as well. The RV industry would do well to invest in QA/QC programs so that the dealers and end users don't end up having to deal with problems that should never have left the factory. Unfortunately, the RV manufacturers don't seem to see the need for it.
I saw something on another rv group that sorta made sense. The mfg's throw them together then sell them at a big discount to the dealers who then charge the mfg's to fix their quality issues, if caught. The dealers actually like a good PDI as they bill the mfg for it. The dealer makes money on it. If the owner doesn't catch all the oop'sies by a year the mfg won and the dealer lost. Strange but in a convoluted way it sorta makes sense. Just realize they are all in it to make money, from you the buyer.

I really don't think the old "Pride in What You Build" works anymore, dollar bills do. Sad to say...
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

Hey Billpegan . . . the kitchen side only comes out about two feet, so we really don't lose much on the awning. I was worried about the same thing before we bought, but am so glad we stuck with the Sunset Trail. Folks are really surprised when they see how much room you gain with the slide on each time. We do pack a 12'x12' tent that we can put along side the awning if we want more shade, but thus far have not needed it.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Thanks it's just that I have three and four year old boys and wondering how much room is under it . Not like they will be there much too many bugs and worms to look at !!!! Another question is there lots of storage for toys and bikes and what ever they will need ?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

We haveboys as well; six and eight years old. I installed a bolt-on hitch receiveron the trailer bumper and we carry all four of our bikes on that. The dealer did check with SunsetTrail and they were finewith the added weight. The bumper is welded on, so I felt good that weight would not be an issue. Our trailer has the outdoor kitchen, but thosethat don't get a largestorage compartmentat the right-rear corner. Of course the front has pass-through storage where we keep most of our equipment and toys. There are also large pull-out storage traysunder the kidsbunk and under each bench at the table where agooddeal of stuff can be stored. The boys bunks are big enough that they can even throw a few toys in the corner of each bunk. We only camp for three or four days max at a time, so the 28BH has more than enough storage for us.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Thanks that's great info. You tube only shows so much, it's nice to talk to someone who has the model I want.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #33
Weekend Camper

We have had ours for a year now (30 RK). No major problems. Love it today as much as when we purchased it. If something happened to it, I would pick the same exact trailer. It fits our needs perfectly.

2012 ST 30RK
DonCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

I was also skeptical after looking thru this forum, I am glad I purchased my Crossroads TT, I love it. The room and storage are excellent and the standard features are outstanding (upgrades with most other manufactures). I hope you enjoy your as much as we do.

Do a good PDI and make sure the dealer adresses any issues before you take it home. I found alot of spots where the caulking needed touchup and broken screw and bolt heads from over torqueing. Also a common theme here is awning LED's, make sure they all work!

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #35
New Camper

We have owned a sunset trail for five years and have loved it. We are now planning to trade our current one for a new Sunset Trail 26RB. Hopefully we will have the same experience with the new one. The only issue with old was the cabinet door above the sink started to come apart but our dealer was great and fixed door so no issue really. I do like the fact the drawer slides are better quality on the new models.
lar_dean is offline   Reply With Quote