Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
New Camper

HI there,

We are entertaining purchasing our first camper and LOVE the floor plan of the Slingshot GT26BH providing that it's a twin bunk over a bigger lower bed in order to sleep at least 7. We have a 2008 Honda Pilot v6-4wd where the Crossroads brochure says that it can tow 4500#'s. The problem is that the Honda owner's manual says that it's 4500#'s for BOAT trailers and anything ELSE is 3500#. With the dry weight of this one being 3558#, I was advised by other non-crossroads dealers to to stay 1000 less than the vehicle's tow weight for stuff to haul. I can have the cooling/towing package added to my current vehicle no problem but I'm worried/confused about the weight.

Any advice?

Carol & Ron

roncarolandthetwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Stick with the owners manual (it is there for a reason). Your dealer estimate for 1000lbs for "stuff" is, IMHO, a bit low. When you add all your supplies, propane, water, clothes and food for "7", plus all your camping supplies, plus a hitch, etc, I think you will be well over 1000lbs. The rig you are looking at is already over your max weight before you even drive it off the lot and who is to say that 3558 figure is even right? Others will chime in but the bottom line is you have the wrong trailer. The other number you need to look at is the GVWR.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Stan is correct. The "dry weight" doesn't include any options such as A/C unit, awning, leveling jacks, etc. Your tow vehicle would be struggling at best and even to add the "tow package" is adding weight to the vehicle. Sorry to burst your bubble, but keep searching for a much smaller unit or dread I say a new tow vehicle. By the way, welcome to the forum.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
New Camper

Oh...??? the dry weight doesn't consider that either? OH bummer. Are you 100% sure of that? (Not being rude just I've done so much homework other than the tow vehicle confusion. ) Even the one page of the brochure says that the weight has already had 500# added to it based on 2010 Trailer Life's tow ratings. I'm not too concerned with water because we'd only go to parks that allow us to connect. Who can tell us for sure the weight then? I cannot seem to find a dealer in the Chicagoland area who has one of these smaller ones; they are all the 29's which is way too big.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
New Camper

Oh...BTW, the Pilot's GVWR is 5952. I'm trying to figure out that math calculation now.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

You could check with Wana RV in Shipshewanna, In to see what inventory they have. They are only about 140 miles east of you and about 5 miles north of the Crossroads factory facility. Wana RV has a web site that you can Google.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I DO NOT MEAN ANY OFFENCE HERE WHATSOEVER BUT I HAVE DRIVEN A HONDA PILOTAND ALSO PULLED A CAMPER UP A SLIGHTLY DAMP HILL AFTER THIER PILOT COULD NOT PULL THE UNIT DUE TO LACK OF TRACTION. YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A PROPER TOW VEHICLE. RUNNING ANYTHING RUN AT IT'S MAXIMUM IS GOING TO FAIL,

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

My understanding from Crossroads is that they now certify the weight with factory options before it ships to the dealer. My GT26RL came in at 3560 lbs. My tow vehicle with tow package is rated at 4500 lbs. I did add a weight distribution hitch. Pulls nicely on flats and hills, but haven't tried mountains yet. Only the milage has dropped to about half normal. We don't travel with full water and limit our gear. I'm not an expert but this may be helpful.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

where do they show the certified weight?

2010 ST29QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...in/TVsetup.jpg

gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

It's on a sticker in a cabinet above the sink.

Also, it's been suggested from others that a good rule of thuumb is to allow a 10 - 20% safety factor on the combined weight of the trailer and tow vehicle. My TV is just about 4800 lbs with a total allowable weight of 9500 lbs. With my Slingshot (without gear) at 3560 lbs I'm at 8360. Thatequates tothen a 1140 allowance for gear. In my case, I don't carry water in the tanks and are careful about the gear Icarry. It's only me and my wife and 2 small dogs, so it's not been difficult. With kids, or heavy gear and water the 20% factor may need to be considered.

Again, I'm not expert, but get lots of good suggestions from experienced rv'ers.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote