Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
New Camper

We are ready to buy, but undecided between the 33BH and the 31SB. My question is mostly on "everyday use" of the 33BH, because the layout is radically different than "most" TTs, and nothing like the TTs we have owned in the past. Have some of you camped with the 33BH after switching from a more "traditional" layout? What quirks or wonderful surprises did you find?

If you like to read more of my research, here are the pros and cons of each as we see them so far:

31SB pros:
~ $2000-2500 less in cost
~ outside storage is accessible (therefore everything inside is reachable without climbing into the storage area) from both sides of the camper
~ U-shaped kitchen table gives better elbow room - our kids are 17+ (son is 6'3")
~ but kitchen table seems less sturdy
~ seems "homier" for some reason - my son says because the island takes up floor space in the 33
~ two outside entrances - is the bathroom outside entrance a wonderful thing? We've never had it and I am not sure I am convinced of its "wonderfulness". Often to keep the black tank from filling we just use the campground facilities during the daytime.

31SB cons:
~ TV viewing is awkward, end of couch, and kitchen table seating are the best view (after-market slide-out mounting bracket could fix this?)
~ bathroom location: we kind of want a bathroom by the master bedroom with an entry from the bedroom
~ we have to remove the grill because we have to put our bike rack there (the 33 doesn't come with one, anyway, though)

33BH pros:
~ better inside kitchen storage space (biggest "pro": pots & pans storage under oven)
~ better TV viewing (not that we actually watch TV/movies often)
~ bathroom located by master BR, with additional entry from BR
~ kitchen table more sturdy, but has less elbow room (but could use bar stools at island)
~ island with sink - seems helpful for preparing meals and cleaning up after, adds kitchen storage (under the sink)
~ shower has hard sides rather than a curtain
~ 80 gallon grey water tank (our current camper is 40 but we live within it for a weekend usually)

33BH cons:
~ $2000-2500 more
~ outside underneath storage is small and not accessible from both sides
~ perhaps smaller awning, to allow for kitchen slideout, therefore less living space outside
~ bathroom, pantry, not accessible with slideouts in (i.e. while traveling)
~ almost less "floor space", as one part seems to be a hallway leading toward bathroom and bedroom, and another part is behind the island.

Thanks for any input and enlightenment! If we end up with one of these I look forward to being a part of this community online!

Edited by: 4x4_luvr
4x4_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

4x4
I don't own either of these units, but I looked at them both. I think in reading your post you have answered it for yourself, although you may not know it. I think the 33BH is the unit you are leaning towards, and to me it does seem more "comfortable". But, you are going about it correctly. Go and spend more time in each unit. Sit on all the chairs, lay in the bed, try out everything as much as you can. It will come to you...it did for us.

Good luck and hope to see you down the road. If you do get a CR's there is a rally in IL in September at Starved Rock SP and then a "last of the season" at Comlara in Bloomington. Quite a few of your fellow "Illini" attend and you will like them all...I know I do.

Good luck in your choice,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
New Camper

To Jim:

Yeah, yeah. You are probably right - we probably are leaning toward the 33. (To be fair, I have to confess that that thought crossed my mind as I was typing up the post....)

But it is a fairly radical shift away from what we have had in the past.... would be nice to talk to current owners of that style.

I think we will run back to the dealers before final purchase and hang out a little longer in it.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
New Camper

It is done. We are the proud owners of the 33, pick it up Tuesday!

'13 Zinger ZT33BH
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new 33! I thought you might like that one better. Remember to bring a videocamera to videotape your PDI. Also you aren't too far from the factory. You might want to check out the factory rally. May your ew TT bring you many happy camping trips.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
New Camper

I have been on the Internet since approximately 1990, have done bulletin boards (anyone else remember those?), chat rooms, online games, all social networking types, and forums such as this. I have been camping for almost 10 years.

But I don't know what PDI means?
Thanks!

'13 Zinger ZT33BH
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Site Team

PDI----------Pre DeliveryInspection
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

4x4,

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Where at in Illinois are you guys from?

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Pdi is your pre-delivery inspection. This is where they let you check the unit for defects and show you how to use your unit. Do not hand over any money to them until you have completed this inspection. Or should I say until they have completed it and any necessary repairs to your satisfaction. You should have them show (not just tell) you how to operate and work everything. Basically if it opens and closes, moves or turns on you want them to show you and you need to return the demo. This includes heat, ac, fridge, stove,awning, water pump, water heater (also have them open the panel and show you how to winterized and dewinterize it), dump valves (including which is which), low point drains, slides, and yes even your wdh (you should have a wdh, preferably one with integrated sway control like Reese dual cam or equal-i-zer). Pay close attention to how it looks hooked up. Practice hooking and unhooking (all the way) a few times. Also pay attention to how it actually sits on the ball. There is a lot to learn and your head will be spinning, this is where the video will come in handy. We looked at ours several times to figure out winterization and de winterization as well as a few other things. One more thing learn about all those vent panels on the outside of the TT (what they do, what's behind them etc). Inspect all caulking, look for signs of delamination, cracks, leaks etc. even crawl up on the roof. When all of this is done and any thing that needed repair has been addressed then give them the money. Be prepared to leave and come back for it if necessary. Good luck and enjoy.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
New Camper

I see you are from Heyworth, we are actually just north of Bloomington! We camp mostly at Morraine View, and Clinton Lake. Where do you guys camp?
'13 Zinger ZT33BH
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
New Camper

Thanks for all the suggestions - great points.

'13 Zinger ZT33BH
Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Just joined the forum and was browsing through the Zinger post. We too were looking at the 31SB and the 33BH and as you did we chose the 33BH. We just took delivery a little over a week ago and have just stayed one night so far. We have a trip coming up over Halloween and are looking forward to spending more time in the trailer and getting acquainted with everything.
How have you liked yours so far?

2015 Crossroads Zinger 33BH
rjones3 is offline   Reply With Quote