Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Considering a Rezerve purchase

We currently have our heart set on a new Crossroads 5th Wheel. At first the Sunset Trail Reserves were my line of choice, but checking out some of the Rezerve floor plans, I think the RFZ27BH is ideal for our needs, wants, and style of camping, but unsure if it meets the needs of our climate here in Colorado.

I can't seem to find any Rezerves in my area though, but there's an abundance of Sunset Trail. CampingWorld in Denver is a listed dealer. Are the Rezerves better suited for warmer, lower altitude climates? Or are they just that new of a crossroads line that I'm not going to find them right away?

Also, I've done some searches on RVTrader and noticed dealers in Iowa listing these for just $22,000 brand new. Is it worth purchasing from a dealer further away for the right price or should I really deal with someone local for the transaction?
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

One of the problems in dealing with someone far away is some dealers will not service your unit, or service it promptly, if you did not buy from them. We encountered this when we purchased ours.

Having said that, neither the dealer we purchased from (in Michigan) nor the closest dealer to us have been very good at fixing any of our problems. They just didn't seem to be qualified. The best service we ever got (twice) was at the Crossroads factory service center in Topeka, Indiana. That is a day and a half drive for us.

As for the Rezerve line, perhaps someone else can help. I always contend that once you have dealt with what you can afford and what you can tow, floorplan is the most important thing. The floorplan was the reason we bought the unit we did.

By the way, we were in Colorado last fall and fell in love with it. It is a beautiful place! (Not the eastern part that looks like Kansas, however!)

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
One of the problems in dealing with someone far away is some dealers will not service your unit, or service it promptly, if you did not buy from them. We encountered this when we purchased ours.

Having said that, neither the dealer we purchased from (in Michigan) nor the closest dealer to us have been very good at fixing any of our problems. They just didn't seem to be qualified. The best service we ever got (twice) was at the Crossroads factory service center in Topeka, Indiana. That is a day and a half drive for us.

As for the Rezerve line, perhaps someone else can help. I always contend that once you have dealt with what you can afford and what you can tow, floorplan is the most important thing. The floorplan was the reason we bought the unit we did.

By the way, we were in Colorado last fall and fell in love with it. It is a beautiful place! (Not the eastern part that looks like Kansas, however!)
We are a family of 5, so the triple bunk layouts offered in the Rezerve are perfect, while keeping us close to the 30ft mark on length that we desire. We haven't purchased the tow vehicle yet, so there's some flexibility in terms of weight right now.

Colorado is a great state to camp in. Rocky Mountain National Park is not to be missed, neither is Sand Dunes National Park.

Good point on the dealers possibly not giving priority when it comes to needing service. Also need to figure out if the cost savings on the purchase would be spent driving out and back to pick up the new trailer as well and at that point should just purchase closer to home so I'm a "valued customer".
Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

X2 on Loneoaks comment on getting static from jaded dealers and having issues serviced at the Topeka repair center. They fixed things for us the kids broke.

Just my two cents, but get the trailer you want, Period. It's alot of money and buyers remorse is very very expensive.

We bought our trailer 5 (towing) hours away and it the price difference was over $3K when all was said and done. I only bring in the pricing because the higher priced dealer was in a network where I can get it serviced under warranty all over the country (you can figure out whom I'm talking about with that clue ). For us, we thought pocketing the cash was the way to go.

And yes, I can tell you from experince, the dealer ( a CW) by us blew us off for service. But frankly our friends bought there and were not treated much better.

Also, we are only 6 (towing) hours from the Topeka repair facility so what's an hour. If you have kids and head out this way, the number #1 amusement park in the world (actually now 2nd behind a park in Germany) is 3 hours east. They have an awesome campground.

Which model are you looking at?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
X2 on Loneoaks comment on getting static from jaded dealers and having issues serviced at the Topeka repair center. They fixed things for us the kids broke.

Just my two cents, but get the trailer you want, Period. It's alot of money and buyers remorse is very very expensive.

We bought our trailer 5 (towing) hours away and it the price difference was over $3K when all was said and done. I only bring in the pricing because the higher priced dealer was in a network where I can get it serviced under warranty all over the country (you can figure out whom I'm talking about with that clue ). For us, we thought pocketing the cash was the way to go.

And yes, I can tell you from experince, the dealer ( a CW) by us blew us off for service. But frankly our friends bought there and were not treated much better.

Also, we are only 6 (towing) hours from the Topeka repair facility so what's an hour. If you have kids and head out this way, the number #1 amusement park in the world (actually now 2nd behind a park in Germany) is 3 hours east. They have an awesome campground.

Which model are you looking at?
We are leaning towards the RFZ27BH because we prefer a shorter overall length, but considering the RFZ32BH if we decide an outdoor kitchen is high on our priority list.

But wondering if the Rezerve is not the best for our area of the country and that's why I'm having trouble locating it within the state of Colorado. There's only one dealer in our area and they currently don't have any Rezerves in stock that I can look at.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Weather is starting to break and given the bad winter in the east here. I think it's just people are buying now

When you say your area of the country, is the temperatures there a concern? I could be not current my knowledge on the new trailers, but none of the trailers your looking at are rated for extended stays in sub freezing temperatures.

When it gets in the 20's and you run the heat, the walls inside start weeping from condensation. Water is not good for campers other than in the form of rain.

Not to steer you away from a great trailer, but there are 4 season designated trailers.

One I heard of is here:
ORV: Creek Side 27BHS

Looks like there is a dealer in Wheat Ridge

Oh and one vote from me on the outside kitchen. It is a must in the summer months even with our recently mild summer.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Weather is starting to break and given the bad winter in the east here. I think it's just people are buying now

When you say your area of the country, is the temperatures there a concern? I could be not current my knowledge on the new trailers, but none of the trailers your looking at are rated for extended stays in sub freezing temperatures.

When it gets in the 20's and you run the heat, the walls inside start weeping from condensation. Water is not good for campers other than in the form of rain.

Not to steer you away from a great trailer, but there are 4 season designated trailers.

One I heard of is here:
ORV: Creek Side 27BHS

Looks like there is a dealer in Wheat Ridge

Oh and one vote from me on the outside kitchen. It is a must in the summer months even with our recently mild summer.
We don't plan on sub freezing temps, at least nothing more than the occasional short overnight drop that happens in the mountains of Colorado in the summer.

We are also set on getting a 5th wheel and not a TT. We regularly drive through mountain passes since we live in Colorado, and prefer how a 5th wheel tows vs a a TT. Plus the Rezerve has the triple bunk (1 per kid, granted one is on the floor it's better than someone always sleeping on the couch or dinette in my opinion).

The only reason we currently have the outdoor kitchen low on our list is that we like cooking over a fire as much as we can, otherwise we already own a good outdoor camp stove that we use with our popup, and can continue using that. I would love the convenience of the outdoor kitchen, but if I can find everything else I want minus the kitchen, I'd take it.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I hear ya,, lots of advantages to the a 5th wheel. I've never compared Crossroads, but on other brands the 5th wheel models seem to have better quality components.

We also cook quite a bit over the fire and it's nice to keep food in the outside fridge. Only drawback is its only 110v and doesnt convert to gas like the inside fridge.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Site Team

OhioMark, Since most of the components on rv's are made by outside sources, a lot of the components are similar in TT and 5w's. When the price starts to jump up, some of the luxury items will be of a better quality.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you really want an outside kitchen. I love mine and cannot imagine buying a unit without one. I use it all the time.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

x2 Tim. I love our 32QB, but sometimes wonder if I should have got a 30KB, which is identical trailer with outside kitchen.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Sue
Weekend Camper

Rfz27bh

We bought a new RFZ27BH last year from a wholesaler in Indiana. Saved a ton of $. Camping world has serviced our camper and we did not have any issues with them. I would do this again in a heartbeat. We are very happy with this camper. We take the grand kids along so I really liked the bunk set up and the fact that it is a double bunk and can comfortably hold an adult also. We use the bottom bunk on the floor as a storage area. As far as the outdoor kitchen, this was not a priority for us. I always like a cooler outside anyways for drinks and we have the weber Q on the bumper that can swing out. Also have a portable stove with a table but haven't used it yet. We also didn't want anything longer than 31 ft. One of the upgrades we ordered was extra insulation so this is an option. Also would highly recommend the mattress upgrade. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
New Camper

We purchased that same 5thwheel last may, and love it. We live in Wyoming so understand your climate needs, and it has been great for us. We also have 3 kids and the layout is perfect. We wanted only one slide and no more than 30' length. We do not regret our choice at all and highly recommend this camper! We decided this layout was worth not having the outdoor kitchen.
budbitboo is offline   Reply With Quote