Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
New Camper

We are considering the purchase of aSunset Trail ST24RB. We previously owned a 2006 Aerolite 25RGB-SL that literally broke it's back after 24 months of very light use - probably 20 days total time in the field. The frame broke behind rear wheel on the passenger side, breaking the kitchen counter and causing other serious problems. It was a sad day when (thankfully) our insurance company totaled the trailer and we walked away with just the money spent over the two year of ownership lost. For some time we thought we were actually going to have to eat the remaining 13K left on the loan, so all in all, it turned out well</span>
</span>
So that leads to my question about Cross Roads travel trailers - how are the frames? Obviously, we are a little gun shy right now on a new purchase, and I was hoping some of you may have some feedback on the frames of the Sunset Trail line.</span>
</span>
TIA,</span>
</span>
Mark</span>
LazyBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

CrossRoads builds a fine product. I have been here for three years and have not heard of any fram issues since then.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

My wife and I are on our second CrossRoads product. Obviously we wouldn't have bought our present trailer from them if we hadn't been so impressed with the first. Wehad purchased a different brand between the two, but were never impressed with it, so we returned to CrossRoads as soon as we could.

Just for future reference for you, we are in the process of purchasing RV insurance that will simply replace an existing RV for a brand new one for FIVE years after purchase, if you total the first one.

If, God forbid, something like that happens again, it's comforting to know that wewon't have to worry about the remaining debt left on the current loan.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We have an 04 37fl Crossroads Silverado with 40K miles on it including the Taylor Highway and Top of the World Highway in Alaska. We are sitting in the parking lot of All Wheel Alignment in Redding CA because we are upgrading the axles and suspension. One of the guys that was working on putting the new axles told us that our 5ver had a better frame and bracing than alot of the ones he has seen and he's has been aligning RVs for 20 years.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Just got back from our first trip of this year, 62 nights &amp; 4,500 miles. This will be our third season with the ST30BH. All told, approximately210 nights &amp; 19,000 miles. No major problems, just the usual start-up nits with any rig (first a pop-up, then a Dutchmen, now an ST). Would and have recommended STs. Would look at Crossroads first if I changed to another rig but don't feel a need to.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Some of the 5th wheels have had some frame and axle issues over the years but I don't recall any of the TT's having problems. I think you would be good to go.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
We have 3 years and 6,500 miles on our ST30BH. Not quite the testimony that coastn can give. No major repair work on the unit so far. We upgraded to the ST from a 2000 Aerolite and a Jayco pop-up prior to that. The ST has been the best built by far.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Yes, some years did have frame issues (mostly the shock mounts and outrigger's) and there have been numerous axle issues over the years, even on current years (mine had 2 replaced).

On the travel trailers I have heard of no issues.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
New Camper

Good to see that there is such an active community here! I appreciate all of the quick feedback

My only concern now is that theSunset Trail ST24RB's dry weight is about 1000 lbs heavier than my previous trailer. I'll be pulling with a Dodge Durango, with a 5.7 Hemi, and the towing package. The Durango's manual states that it's towing capacity is 8900 lbs. Granted, theST24RB has a GVWR of 7520 lbs, but that's starting to get a bit close (for me, anyway. Pulling my Areolite up long gradual grades caused the transmission to heat up a bit. Not really sure what an extra 1000 lbs would do. Anyone pulling a similar sized rig with a Durango?</span>
</span>
Thanks again for all the great input</span>
</span>
Mark</span>

https://lazybrewer.com
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Just wondering, haveyou've taken a look at the Slingshot? The GT27RB is longer and lighter then the current model you are looking at.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I pulled my Zinger with a Durango with no real problems after I made several adjustments. Number 1. the tires on the Durango are passenger tires and not truck tires I found that it handle better with 50PSI in the rear tires. Make certain that you have the Dodge Trans cooler, there were two different tow packages one with the cooler one with out. If you have the trailer mirrors chances are that it will have that cooler. If your set up is a dealer add probably not

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
New Camper

My local dealer has theSunset Trail ST24RB on his lot, and we like the layout, so I haven't looked at the Slingshots. I'll give them a lookover for sure, though</span>
</span>
My idle resting space is limited to a 25" rig or less </span>
</span>
Mark</span>

https://lazybrewer.com
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I pulled my ST30BH, longer and slightly heavierthan the ST24RB, for a season with a similarly equipped Durango. Longest single trip was from my home here in the mountains through Wyoming, Idaho and Utah. Lots of high elevations, mountain passes, etc. The Durango performed well, meaning 50-55 MPHon the steepest climbs,with no heating problems. The auxilliary fan would come on as I climbed the passes in Colorado and it would cool right down. I changed to the Tundra because I got a great deal, increased my tow capacity some and can use it for landscaping materials. Don't think you'll have any problems, even going up to Tahoe.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote