Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Can anyone who has Dual pane windows tell me if they are worth the price. Do they hold;d the heat out and the warmth in better than the single panes?

Does anyone with single pane windows wish they had dual pane windows?

Thanks

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Team

We didn't get the duel pane when we ordered our unit, and have wished many times over that we had.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
We didn't get the duel pane when we ordered our unit, and have wished many times over that we had.

Is that because you are getting too much heat? too much cold??

Thanks

2012 335SS

Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Both. Depends on the season. In the colder weather there is a tremendous amount of moisture that collects on the single pane window. We have to wipe them down every morning.
What I'm saying is ---- I wish I had them!!!

Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Lloyd try putting bubble wrap on the windows in the winter it seems to help us

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
Site Team

Frank, I've thought about that, but I don't like not being able to see out. Plus if you don't take it off in the morning it makes it dark inside. Then you have to run the lights. When we have the moisture problem is in the fall when we are dry camping. What I did last year, was to plumb in a quik couple connecter in the LP line and use an Olympian wave 6 heater.
It has solved many problems. First off, you have to crack a window open on each end of the rig (it burns oxygen) (but doesn't produce any CO). Doing this has really help the moisture problem. We don't have to listen to the noise from the furnace any more, plus the furnace is the biggest drain on your batteries, it also uses way less LP, and the heat is constant. So as you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of that little wave heater.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

DP windows was a big factor in my decision. First off, the windows are the biggest source of heat gain or loss, so why make a big deal about upgraded insulation and still have single pane windows? Some brands will offer the insulation, but not the DP windows. Besides heat and cold, they also cut down on outside noise. Finally, they seal better, all of the windows are sliders, no crank out, so there are dual seals completely around each moveable window.

This does present a problem for ventilation when it is raining, the same problem most motorhomes have. But with a Maxi-air cover over a roof vent, in most cases some windows can be opened either under a partly extended awning or on the downwind side of the RV. But then right now, I'd love to have the problem of rain hitting my windows, home or RV.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Our current unit does not have dual pane windows but any RV we buy in the future will have them. The positives far out way any negatives.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We have them in ours. I hope to never have a another unit without them. The cut down on a lot of the outside noise as compared to our last rv with single pane. Seems to help some on heating and cooling and provide a tighter seal. They did add about 1000lb additional weight to the trailer than what is was originally quoted to be. The dealer tried to talk me out of them, glad I listened to my wife and not the dealer. Maybe that is why we are going on 18 years of marriage.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We have dual pane in our 05 unit and they do help with the heat-cool andcondensation problem. The pain is that they only came as sliders when we bought. I do not like that part of it. We spend 6 months in the winter and run a small portable dehumidifier to really do a good job with the moisture situation. Otherwise we got mildew on walls and window frames even with the upgraded insulation and windows.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We wish we had them!

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinstwopopfarm
They did add about 1000lb additional weight to the trailer than what is was originally quoted to be.Â*

If the original quoted weight was from the brochure, there are plenty of deficiencies with that info. Like 15" vs. 16" running gear. Anyway, glass weighs 162 lbs per cubic foot. The 10 windows in my rig have a total area of roughly 6900 square inches and glass thickness is 1/8 inch. So the second pane of glass is very close to 0.5 cu. ft. and should therefore add about 81 lbs to the trailer weight. There should be minimal difference in weight for the frames between single and dual pane. DP frames may actually weigh less since they lack the steel crank-out mechanism. In the past I have seen info that DP windows add about 100 lbs, so that seems like a realistic number.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Would not be without mine....case in...during colder camping outings, I can run a pelonis 5-disc furnace and keep the camper toasty down to about 30-degrees before I start to loose ground. This summer, while camped after the fourth of July, we were camped at a KOA with temps in the low 90's and the air barely kept up and lost a degree or two during the hottest part of the day. I have since bubble wrapped most of the bigger windows and with the 100-degree temps we have had the past few days, the camper stays a nice 72-degrees. I will be ordering them on my next camper that is for sure....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

To all: Thanks for the input. You have all helped greatly in making up my mind on what value Dual pane windows have. Thanks especially to Dayle on the clarification of the weight issue.

2012 335SS

Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

After recalculating the dp windows they added about 113 lbs additional weight on my trailer. I would have though the trailer weight included the mandatory enhancement add on since it is part of the original package weight since they are not optional. Thanks for clarification.

B&W Companion Hitch

Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

That seems like alot of added wt. dual pane windows, what length are you so I can consider my next camper. I'm looking at the 31RE Patriot pack. JIMAR
Old 09-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinstwopopfarm
After recalculating the dp windows they added

about 113 lbs additional weight on my trailer. I would have though the

trailer weight included the mandatory enhancement add on since it is

part of the original package weight since they are not optional.

Thanks for clarification.
I don't believe that dual pane windows is mandatory? Trailer weight as it leaves the factory is on a sticker located on one of the cabinet doors.

Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

hhh- you are correct. The dual pane windows were not mandatory, and the weight was on the sticker on the cabinet door, which was about 1000lb more that what was listed on the selling brochure. Excluding the 113lbs for the dp windows, most of the other weight differences came from the mandatory enhancement package that came on the trailer. I would have though the advertised trailer weight would have included the added weight, since it is mandatory to have the upgrade items. Even with the added weight, it is still a relatively light trailer at 9100 or so lbs. and we have been happy with the purchase. The dual pane windows are a worth while upgrade we have enjoyed and will have on any 5th wheel we own in the future.
</span>

B&W Companion Hitch

Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I see what you mean. Being interested in where the extra weight come from I did a bit of searching. The fine print reads:

Dry &amp; hitch weight based on standard equipment only. Carrying

capacity reduced to reflect maximum available options per unit.

Standards, options &amp; specifications subject to change without

notice.

So if we take the 11894 GVWR and subtract the 3435 CCC you get 8459. Still about 500 lbs lighter. Subtract 60 lbs for propane and 60 for a battery, it's now at 380 lbs. Not that far off now. Do you have the half bath? That could account for much of that.

Too bad you have to read the fine print to figure this all out.

Edited by: hhh
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote