Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Tre
Weekend Camper

Extended warranty?

Picking up our Sunset Trail 300BH on Monday. We have been considering an extended warranty. The dealer offers extended warranties from Assurant Solutions / Route 66. Like many things the only reviews I can find on the internet are pure horror stories. Anyone heard or use this company? Or in general is it worth purchasing an extended warranty?
Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Team

It's a very personal choice. Many would rather put the money away for future problems. Others, like myself, purchase an extended warranty to help defray future expenses and to have some sense of security.
You do not have to purchase from your dealer. I have the Good Sam warranty, good for 7 years.
Google different warranties online, research and make up your own mind.

Good luck with your new Rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Congrats on your new trailer what I think is the lightest, best layout on a trailer money can buy, but of course I'm biased to the 300BH!

Many dealerships offer cut rate deals on these national plans when you purchase your RV, but you do not have to buy it through your dealer.

Compare and shop. you usually have at least a few weeks to decide after bringing home your trailer. Talk to all the dealers in your area as to what they sell and how well the service is when you need a repair.

These warranties are instant cash in the dealers pocket, so some of them are aggressive and competitive in pricing, others just use it to pad the profit on the sale.
We have an ExtraRide warranty. I dont buy warranties as a rule, but we could not pass up a 7 year warranty. We paid around $1,400. The only rider we didnt get was the tire warranty.

When we compared, the Good Sam seemed to be the one where we could get the best service traveling because of the affiliation with Camping World, but it was the priciest for us.

When I called another local dealer, I told him what we were quoted on the XtraRide and he laughed saying he couldnt touch that price. That did it for me.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I bought the X-Tra Ride as well. Have not used it so can't speak to that yet.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I bought the Xtra Ride at (supposedly) dealer cost when I bought my 2010 Flagstaff 831RLSS travel trailer a few years ago. While the Flagstaff had odds and ends problems, they were all fixed before the factory warranty ran out, so I never used it. I like the peace of mind that comes with it, though. I traded up for a Blue Ridge fiver two years later, and didn't buy the warranty. That rig wore me out running back and forth to the dealer the first year, and I was worried that I had messed up not buying the extended warranty when I could get it cheaper, but they fixed everything on it under the factory warranty as well. I guess it comes down to how much risk you're willing to take. I've read good things about Xtra-Ride, but just didn't have the opportunity to use it, thankfully.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We bought warranty as well. Our dealer reduced the financing rate by 1% if we bought warranty. The rate discount of course covered the cost of the warranty. Hopefully we never need it but at least we have peace of mind just in case.
2014 Sunset Trail ST270BH
-Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Tre
Weekend Camper

Thanks all, seems Crossroads isn't riddled with problems which is a good thing but doesn't help me make my mind up! Haha. Soon as I don't buy it, I'll need it, and vice versa. Thanks for the tips
Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We originally turned down the warranty due to the cost, however my wife looked at me funny because she wanted the peace of mind and the dealer promptly cut the price in half for the exact same policy... A little over $1300 if I remember correctly, so for that price I went for it.

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 dbl cab long-box 4X4
2014 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Reserve 260RB

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic5223_3.gif
911pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Site Team

It's always good to warranty your wife with peace of mind and the Rv warranty just did that. They'll be no "I told you so." Come to think of it, is it a warranty for your wife, or is it a warranty for you????

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I dare not answer for fear she sees this... but the warranty was bought non-the-less ;-)

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 dbl cab long-box 4X4
2014 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Reserve 260RB

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic5223_3.gif
911pyro is offline   Reply With Quote