Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fair MSRP discount for new Sunset Trail Super Lite?

We're going into negotiations for a new '17 Sunset Trail Super Lite, and this will be our first RV, so I'm wondering what a normal discount off MSRP is on these things to be considered a fair deal. MSRP on the unit as optioned is $00k and change. I see the same unit on RV Trader for as low as $00k, but that's from a dealer half the country away, and I've read that some shady dealers will sell online at drastically low prices and cater to out-of-state buyers knowing they'll never be able to bring it back to the dealer for them to have to service it, so I don't know if I'd consider that a 'fair' price or not. Any input?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
New Camper

Hi,

Last fall we bought a brand new 2016 260RL. 00k plus tax and license at a local dealer. It seems the msrp is at $00000 and they are n RV Trader for between 00k and 00k. What model are you looking at?

Thanks,
Dave
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Hi,

Last fall we bought a brand new 2016 260RL. 00k plus tax and license at a local dealer. It seems the msrp is at $00000 and they are n RV Trader for between 00k and 00k. What model are you looking at?

Thanks,
Dave
It's a SS291RK. Price on RV Trader ranges from $00k to $00k.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

This was back at the end of 2014 when we purchased ours and we found one on a dealers lot and was able to negotiate a little over 30% off MSRP.

Steve
Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
New Camper

I checked to see if they had a 2017 ss291rk listed on their website and nothing for that model

Thanks,
Dave
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Team

If you guys want to discuss prices, you will have to do it by PM's.
Discussing it here is against forum rules.

Dealer Pricing | Vendor and Customer Disputes: Do not make posts about new coach pricing at various dealerships. These are private transactions between you and that dealer. This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp722 View Post
I see the same unit on RV Trader for as low as $00k, but that's from a dealer half the country away, and I've read that some shady dealers will sell online at drastically low prices and cater to out-of-state buyers knowing they'll never be able to bring it back to the dealer for them to have to service it, so I don't know if I'd consider that a 'fair' price or not. Any input?
#1, no dealer will sell a unit below their costs, so the lowest price you find is a valid price (except for bait and switch sales techniques).
#2, 30% off MSRP is a reasonable target, maybe a bit lower. Beware, unlike cars, the MSRP a dealer uses is not cast in stone, some dealers will inflate that number to make the discount seem bigger. So, actual out the door price is the real target, not discount percentage.
#3, dealers do get lower pricing from the manufacturer based on their sales volume, this is why some dealers can sell a unit for a lower price. That high volume dealer may be miles away or just down the street.
#4, and then some dealers just don't want to negotiate, they want high profits.

What worked for me was to specify exactly what I wanted, all options and colors and request quotes (excluding delivery fee since pickup is an option), best possible price, no negotiation. I got just a good of a deal from a dealer 120 miles away as from anywhere in the country.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone. Sorry, Lloyd, didn't realize this was off limits. Being completely new to the RV industry, I was looking for a guideline so I didn't get ripped off. Every industry is drastically different with stuff like that, and salesmen are pretty good at identifying 'fresh meat'.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp722 View Post
salesmen are pretty good at identifying 'fresh meat'.

Yes, it seems as tho they have more training that way then knowledge in the product they're trying to sell.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Yes, it seems as tho they have more training that way then knowledge in the product they're trying to sell.
Absolutely. I think it's much worse now than it used to be, too, at least in the auto industry.