Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello all ! I am signing papers today to purchase a 2014 Crossroads Cruise Patriot CF355 BL although this will be my first fifth wheel it will be my third camper. I was hoping to gain some knowledge before asking the dealeras to what type/manufacture is recommended for my 2011 F-250 to pull this, later on. I am having it delivered to my site now but in the futureI would like to tow it? Any help or suggestions would be great!
Glamper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Site Team

I like my Pullrite Superslide. I have the 6.5' box on my Ford so I had to get the Superslide. There are loads of other non slide hitches for you to choose from but I would look at the Pullrite brand.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper12
Hello all ! I am signing papers today to purchase a 2014 Crossroads Cruise Patriot CF355 BL although this will be my first fifth wheel it will be my third camper. I was hoping to gain some knowledge before asking the dealeras to what type/manufacture is recommended for my 2011 F-250 to pull this, later on. I am having it delivered to my site now but in the futureI would like to tow it? Any help or suggestions would be great!

Do you have the fifth wheel prep kit? If so, there are more than just one option now. I have the Reese Elite 18K slider that the Fordfifth wheel prep kit was designed for. Nice clean bed - no rails. More expensive option if you want this set up. If you don't have it you needto installthe Reese Elite under bed mounts or pay someone to do it(I did it myself). Now you can get a B&W Companion Sliderto fit the fifth wheel prep in the 2011 Super Duty trucks. Both the Reese Elite and the B&W Companion are quality options but are not your least expensive.

Short Box or Long Box? IF you have a short box - get a slider even though you don't need it that often. Cheaper to have it than to repair your truck.

IF you don't have the Reese 5th wheel prep in your truck your options are wide open. If you have a short box, one of the better sliding options is the SuperGlide and you can get mounts for this that leave a clean bed as well. You don't have to worry about sliding your hitch - it's automatic. For heavy trailers I don't recommend a sidewinder hitch although some here probably like it - another alternative but different concept.

If you have a long box and don't mind rails in your bed - lots and lots of options and much cheaper. I am a believer in setting up the way I want it from day one and doing a lot of research. I use forums like Ford Truck Enthusiasts in the 6.7 Diesel forums and several other diesel forms to do research on what other owners with trucks like minehave tried and what is working.

Feel like going full time? Probably better to get one of the even more expensive options like a Hensley, HitchCrafter, etc.

Also, if you plan to haul in the future with that F250 - get some air bags. I use Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags with an AirLift Wireless compressor to keep my F350 level - you will definitely need it with the F250 as it has a little softer ride and tends to sag a bit more under the pin weight. Obviously if you are not hauling right now - this is something you can do more research on and get done in the future.

Ultimately, we will all have different ideas of what we like and don't like and what our budget is. I agree you need to do some research BEFORE talking to your dealer because they will sell you whatever they like and is easy to install and usually the best mark up. Take your time with finding the right hitch combination for you.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
New Camper

Thank You for taking the time and explain this Its a great start !
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
New Camper

Thank You for taking the time and sheding some light on this !
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

No problem - enjoy your trailer and welcome to the forum!

Many of us here have different experiences with hitches and different likes or dislikes. There isn't any onesolution as it really depends on your personal preference.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I have a 2011 Chevy 2500 and I went with the Pullrite Superglide. Having a 6.5 shortbed, I was concerned about whether or not the trailer would hit the cab during sharp turns. I figured I would rather spend the money for the automatic slider then spend it on any accidents. If your truck was not set up for a specific setup, I would look into pullrite.

Todd
2013 Sunset Trails SF28BH
Accoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have 2011 F250 with a the 6.5 box. I had the Reese Elite 18k Slider put in. I haven't had any issues have 2.5 KMiles on it and about to double it. Having no rails in the bed was a big plus in my mind.

2011 F250 CC
fancycamper is offline   Reply With Quote