Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
New Camper

Talking I'm buying a Cruiser; Have some ???'s

Looking at a used 2011 Cruiser CF33LF and have a few questions. I've never bought a camper / trailer from a dealer before, so I'm not sure what I can expect for them to cover.

My wife, 2 kids and I are going to be full timing it for a little bit, so I just want to be set from the start.

1. The trailer is missing a battery and TV's. Is it expected to come with these?

2. The bumper is "ripped" partially where the tubes meet the bumper because of too much weight on the bolt on hitch. It is only about 20% to 30% ripped. Should the dealer fix it?

3. Should the LP tanks be full at purchase?

4. Needs new tires.

5. Should it come with a sewer hose?

Thanks for any help,
Reegs
Reegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Reegs
Without seeing the camper, and just going by what you have stated--
My advise would be to go very very slow with this.
Sounds to me like maybe it's had more abuse then it has care.
If you have a friend or relative or know somebody that is familiar with camping/RV world, ask them to look it over with you and give you some pointers and advise.
Once you plunk down your money, it's yours!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lloyd. It seems this rig was over loaded and besides the torn bumper, I would be concerned the suspension is "outa-wack". It should come with a battery, sewer hose, full propane if the dealer is good but these items are relatively cheap to buy. Look at the tires and see if they are abnormally worn indication suspension issues. Be careful on this one.....
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

My fears on the bumper would be water intrusion somewhere. Also a good idea to check the caulking all around. If the former owner is not into caring for the unit, chances are the caulking has not been kept up with. That could result in water intrusion, which is an RV's worst enemy.

If you buy this unit or any other, check the caulking at least once a year, top to bottom, front to back and touch up where needed.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
New Camper

I spent a good hour going over the trailer with a PDI list the other day. the tires do not have any abnormal wear, they are just cracked from sitting.

The trailer is in really good shape. No odd smells, no water stains or cracked sealant around windows, panels, ac, or vents. No bubbles in exterior or floor.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you decide to go ahead the "dealer" should resolve all your stated problems before you buy it. There is a ton of product available for repurchase if you cannot get everything satisfied keep looking.
I would personally be leary why would he not have already fixed those deficiencies.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
New Camper

Honestly, I bombarded them to look at it BEFORE they even started working on it. They hadn't even opened it up.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Hi There!

On behalf of CrossRoads, we are so honored that you are looking at one of our units and have joined this forum. There are so many people involved that have gobs of information that can help ANY RVer!

As the other members have already warned you, please be very very meticulous about your "new" unit, and make sure that all of your maintenance concerns are addressed before you take delivery of the unit. Though NO unit (new or used) is perfect, this inspection process can really save you some trouble down the road.

Should you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me privately!

Best of Luck!
Christian
CrossRoads Public Relations
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

When we sell something, like a trailer or motor vehicle, we make sure it is extremely clean and everything is in good repair. We take lots of clear pictures and post on an online selling site.

We have found that not everyone does this, and we see items for sale with poor or no pictures, and are in less than pristine condition. We usually avoid units like that.

Having an item like a trailer in the best possible condition (and clean) when it's put on the market tells me that the owner has looked after it. Maintenance is the key to longevity, especially when it comes to RVs and motor vehicles.

When things you can see are clean and well maintained, it's assumed that the things you cannot see are also good. When the unit looks unloved overall, there are probably items you don't know about that are questionable.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

It all depends on the cost. If you want this trailer and it needs this or that you just have to make a deal with the seller for a price you can live with. It makes no difference if the seller is a dealer or a private owner.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Which front cap style does it have and when was it built? If built after August 1st, 2011 it has the newer compound curve front cap and a stiffened frame. If built earlier than August, then the frame may have too much flex IF it has the curved front cap. But some of the very first 2011's were built with the older front cap without notched corners and the frame is fine.

The sticker on the side of the unit will tell you the build date. PM me if you want more info.

Regarding your other questions, you can have the dealer take care of everything or you can make your own choices. My suggestions, propane and battery, have the dealer take care of them and also re-weld the bumper. Sewer hose, get something better than the cheapest available. TV, buy something you want, not the cheapest one the dealer might install. Tires, absolutely get them replaced, but get LT tires, not ST, if the dealer will only install STs, then get the price reduced so you can buy the tires. 'Freebies' that are cheap are not really a good deal.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote