Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
New Camper

Leaks under Warranty

My wife and I bought a 2014 Sunset Trail back in 2013. The slide out leaked, ruining some cabinetry. The sink leaked. The shower leaked under the wall and into the bunkroom. And, finally, the rear wall leaked for over a year. It leaked so bad it soaked the insulation inside the wall, the plywood flooring, and even the insulation under the flooring. There was so much water in the insulation, that you could squeeze water out of it.

Even though I got a factory approved re-caulking of the entire trailer under warranty and the initial report of the water damage behind the rear wall was made during the warranty period, they are not going to do anything whatsoever. I have been all the way up their customer service chain.

Their final answer is that caulking seals are a maintenance item, and since the owner's manual says to inspect every 6 months, they are not responsible. I now have a trailer not quite 2 years old that has major, major water damage, and somehow, it's not their problem. The manager even went to so far as to say it might be because I live in Washington state where it rains alot.
J_unfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Wow - sad story! The mold that is surely to develop will certainly ruin what was once a nice camper.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
My toy = 2004 Corvette Coupe
AmericalVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
New Camper

Did anything further happen with this? Did you have it winterized etc with your dealer? We may have a similar issue with our 2014
Notroughingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
New Camper

As of now, no. Crossroads insists the entire problem is because I did not inspect the caulking seams as required by the owners manual (which I did but can't prove to them) and that I live in WA where it rains a lot. I want to go back to tent camping at this point.
J_unfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Did they ever resolve your problem? The more I read on here, the more I'm learning that CR is a company that never stands behind their product, which is very discouraging...
Old 01-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
New Camper

They came through!

Actually, my dealer posed the issue to crossroads and crossroads agreed to replace the "skin". Because we waited until after the season we have only picked it up and stored for winter but the entire front and sides were replaced and my dealer re-sealed everywhere. Originally my dealer said sealing is the owners responsibility- which is true but this was a new camper- that crossroads would likely not cover it. But I think they were preparing me for the worst because they later told me they have seen it before and once they seal it again- they never have the issue. We are so grateful! So I am happy to say crossroads stood behind their product in our case!
Notroughingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Good post!
I thank you for letting us know.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notroughingit View Post
So I am happy to say crossroads stood behind their product in our case!
That is awesome to hear! That's what a company should do when selling you a $25K or $50K or more product!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Like I stated in the past. Most people will post their problems with the rv, dealership and manufacturer. Posting that you have no problems doesn't occur that often.
But, I've had my Cruiser Patriot for 3 years and have not had many issues. The minors issues I had were taken care of by my dealer.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Posting that you have no problems doesn't occur that often.
I agree Mark, and I am guilty. Like you, I have had no major problems with my camper, but I haven't been posting the fact.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, warranty