Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Long Horn & Hill Country

Question for you Texas folks: Are the Longhorn and Hill Country trailers sold along with the Zinger/Sunset Trails (like at same dealer)?

I stumbled on the Long Horn version surfing the web, and if I could have ordered one I would have! I love the Texas/Americana color scheme and "Texas" interior appointments!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Eddy/Brenda, from what we were told when we saw these same units at the RV show in San Antonio last year, they are exclusively made for a dealer in Texas who has a multitude of stores. I believe it was Explore USA We really liked them but no one told us they were made by CrossroadsRV. Had we known that, we would have bought one. Salesman seemed to be confused and told us that only his dealer could work on them, etc. Lost a sale of a very nice looking camper.

Jean
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Longhorn is made for Explorer USA, that is where I purchased here in San Antonio Tx. It's a upgrade package of Zinger.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Those look pretty nice, I see they offer a 39ft travel trailer, I didn't realize they made bumper tows this long.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I bet it would be a lot like "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucy and Desi. Showing our age but such a silly & funny movie.

Jean
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
Old 11-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If we want to have a real blast, let's hook up the 39ft. to our Trailblazer...I am sure we can get the weight police going!

(yes I am kidding...)

Bummer Jean! I noticed they were all listed at ExplorerUSA. Ironically, our pics from Sunset Trail factory tour have a Hill Country in them.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

After you post, I was very curious about the two products from ExplorerUSA so I sent them an inquiry on their contact page. From their response (below), it looks like one is a Zinger and the other Sunset Trail - both changed/upgraded to their logos, etc. From what I saw they were definitely a little better than the stock Zinger or Sunset Trail IMHO.

"Hill Country is a fiberglass outside trailer with an aluminum frame. Longhorn is made of wood and is a metal trailer on the outside. Both are good it is just a lot more expensive to build an aluminum trailer. also we have power jacks, power tongue jack, and a lot more bells on the Hill Country.

Thanks
Mark Stewart
ExploreUSA RV Supercenter"
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Mark is who we bought our Redwood 38gk from ... he is @ the Mesquite store on I-30 (same place our redwood is.... again )
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Long Horn & Hill Country - 2

Just purchased a 2014 Hill Country 32FR, doing the walkthrough tomorrow. Excited yet nervous, we're first timers. Shopped for months, originally decided on the Longhorn 33BH, but the last 2014 with 50 amp service sold before we could finalize the deal.
The Hill Country came with so many more upgrades as standard items... Power tongue jack and stabilizers, fiberglass exterior vs the aluminum walls. Although it says it's an option, every one I looked at had 50 amp service wired for 2nd AC and the 2nd AC unit was also included. That was a big one here in the Texas heat. My only concern at the moment are the tank sizes. Hill Country has 40/40/40 Fresh/Grey/Black. The Longhorn comes with 54/80/40. Can I upgrade them later if the need arises?
Planning our first trip next weekend, will let you know how it goes.

Finally someone from San Antonio, which Explorer USA did you buy from? If you have any questions or need any help feel free to send me a message.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Went through the SA dealer. We met the GM, Charlie Flippin at the RV show in Feb. Really nice guy, talked with him for a long time at the show. Made us feel comfortable to ask all the questions we had, no aggressive sale tactics, no annoying phone calls, Couldn't buy at that time, but shopped around until we could. Believe we got the best deal we were going to get.
I hope the Service Dept is as good. Where do you take yours when needed?
Driving east on I-10 last week, I see they are building a new store in Seguin.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Went through the SA dealer. We met the GM, Charlie Flippin at the RV show in Feb. Really nice guy, talked with him for a long time at the show. Made us feel comfortable to ask all the questions we had, no aggressive sale tactics, no annoying phone calls, Couldn't buy at that time, but shopped around until we could. Believe we got the best deal we were going to get.
Great, I know Charlie and his crew at the Hwy 90 location. I take care of all repairs myself, any rv dealer could take longer than expected for repairs and I'm able to fix things better than most service places. It sounds like the Seguin location is growing, I wish the 90 location would move away from that dangerous curve.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Where's the first trip planned?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I'm a little confused by your post, but if you haven't gotten an answer to your tank size question, I would say it may be difficult to upgrade them in the future. It depends on whether there is space for it, ground clearance, etc. The black and fresh water probably won't cause you much problems at 40 gallons, but the gray water will fill up in one day of a four person family taking showers, even if you cut the water on and off as you shower and are very careful. That seems like an unusually small gray tank for a camper that size. Are you sure about that? If you are set on that particular camper and have already bought it, you can always buy one of the wheeled totes that you can dump the tanks in and carry it to the dump station rather than having to move your camper. Otherwise, you'd better either camp at campgrounds with full hookups or take your showers at the bath house.

Now that I've said all that, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new rig!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

swapping tanks opens a whole can of worms...
space, weight, connections.... etc... not an easy change usually...

but to ease your yet to be experienced 'problem',
you can do the trick many of us do:
get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...rv+sewer+valve

put it on the end of your dump tube, then hook up your sewer hose.

CLOSE this valve while camping and OPEN both grey tanks...

water seeks it's own level and when one tank fills up it will flow back into the other tank, basically making one large grey tank...

(Obviously do NOT share with the black tank close all grey valves before opening black ! but you knew that, didn't you !)
Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
swapping tanks opens a whole can of worms...
space, weight, connections.... etc... not an easy change usually...

but to ease your yet to be experienced 'problem',
you can do the trick many of us do:
get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...rv+sewer+valve

put it on the end of your dump tube, then hook up your sewer hose.

CLOSE this valve while camping and OPEN both grey tanks...

water seeks it's own level and when one tank fills up it will flow back into the other tank, basically making one large grey tank...

(Obviously do NOT share with the black tank close all grey valves before opening black ! but you knew that, didn't you !)
That's a great idea. I've been camping for several years and it never occurred to me to use the gray and galley together. He didn't specify whether his has a galley tank, but if so, that would definitely be a good idea.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
Ken
Weekend Camper

I am pretty sure he doesn't have a galley tank. I bought my Zinger at Explore RV as well. I almost got the Long Horn but went with a fully upgraded Zinger instead. I was very surprised when we were shopping last summer how many trailers have 40 gallons or smaller grey water tanks. It was almost a deal breaker for us but after moving from a Lance camper a 40 gallon take is huge. We actually put up a shower curtain between our two slides and take showers outside. We also bought an Oxegenics shower head and that really helped conserve water plus it works great. We have yet to be close on filling our grey tank but our longest trip has only been 4 days. Next week will be my test we are going on a 10 day stripper fishing trip to Lake Texoma, I think I will be breaking out the blue tote on this trip for sure

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Took delivery today!! The Frau and I spent nearly 2 hours doing the walkthrough. I video recorded it so I had some to go back to in the future.
After all was said and done, and they installed my Equal-I-zer, we pulled out into rush hour traffic around 4:45. The 6.7 Cummins had no trouble getting up to speed. Love the engine break too.
Made it home, only hitting the curb once as I pulled up in front of the house.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas, but let me clarify some things. I do not have a galley tank and according to every piece of literature I can find, it has three tanks, fresh, grey & black. All are 40 gallon.
We plan to be hooked up whenever possible, but I wouldn't mind "roughing it" every now and then. I do like the idea do using the outside shower, and/or toting the grey water to a dump site could be easier than moving the trailer every day or so.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Took delivery today!! The Frau and I spent nearly 2 hours doing the walkthrough. I video recorded it so I had some to go back to in the future.
After all was said and done, and they installed my Equal-I-zer, we pulled out into rush hour traffic around 4:45. The 6.7 Cummins had no trouble getting up to speed. Love the engine break too.
Made it home, only hitting the curb once as I pulled up in front of the house.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas, but let me clarify some things. I do not have a galley tank and according to every piece of literature I can find, it has three tanks, fresh, grey & black. All are 40 gallon.
We plan to be hooked up whenever possible, but I wouldn't mind "roughing it" every now and then. I do like the idea do using the outside shower, and/or toting the grey water to a dump site could be easier than moving the trailer every day or so.
I saw your TT this morning when I stopped to have coffee with Jeff, enjoy! Where's your first trip planned? I'm ready to hook up and get out of the house.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

We're headed to La Grange next weekend for a baseball tournament. Looking at staying at Colorado Landing. Reviews look good. Ever been?
I also signed up for Passsport America, $44 for the year, will save $38 the first trip.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
New Camper

Quote:
No the service department is horrible. Nothing but exuses!

Took my 5er in June 6th it is still there it is now September 8th 2015
mneuman is offline   Reply With Quote