Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
New Camper

Looking at 2017 Sunset Trail 291RK

Hello folks,

I'm new here and looking to purchase my first TT. I have experience using and pulling family and friends rigs but it's time to get my own.

I'm not familiar with Crossroads brand so I did some reading. I did come across some things that concern me.

I have read a lot about awning leaks, front cap fading/discolor, and other quality issues.

My wife and I really like the layout of this unit but the issues I read about worry me.

My question is has Crossroads improved/corrected these issues? What else should I be on the look out for?

Thank you!

Ps.. I have searched these forums but haven't found much regarding the newer models from the past couple years.
Jerad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

1 thing to remember is that for everyone of the negative reviews there are thousand good ones that never post. All rvs no matter what price range have issues. They all use the same manufactures for their products. The quality of using these same products is where the problems lie in the t.v. industry. If you find the one you want get it. Do a thorough walk through, record it on your phone, there are good check lists for the PDI on all .rv forms so use them as a guide line. Don't sign on the dotted line until the items are looked after. Also remember RVS are rolling earthquakes going down the road on our lovely roads. Learn to be handy at repairing things
Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
New Camper

Thank you for your reply. That makes sense.

I have founda PDI check list, great resource!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Your are looking at a great trailer.

To add to Woodwalkers comments, the issues you described are with EVERY manufacturer right now. They ALL buy their components from the same group of companies (Lippert, etc). The front cap issue has been going on for years with all the brands. Some have tried to curtail cap issue by painting the caps lighter colors, using larger decals on the problem spots of the caps and some are even going back to the fiberglass wrapped cap (to bad we had tons of issues with ours). With Sunset Trail, you'll be hard-pressed to find a lighter trailer with as many features at a reasonable price in the light weight trailer market, period. Many of us on this forum have done the research. Look to warranties and the ratings of your dealership.

We're on our second lightweight travel trailer. I don't intend to be a pessimist here, but two harsh facts you face buying a lightweight trailer. 1)The industry has quality problems, not specific to any brand. 2)There is a reason why you tow a 30 foot trailer with a half ton truck or Full size SUV, they took the weight out of the trailer and in doing so, there are a lot of cheaper, lighter parts in the camper.

How the manufacturer and more important, your dealership deals with issues will determine your experience.

Owning a trailer is a labor of love. If your handy and like little projects like me and others on the forum you get accustomed to fixing the issues on your own. My dealership is not close to me, so half the time I just fix the issues and forego the warranty claim.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ohiomark hit the nail on the head.

We've owned two trailers in the last year, traded our Heartland Prowler for our Sunset Trail 289qb. Both had issues. The Prowler roof leaked on our first trip. The first Sunset Trail we took home had serious quality issues with the paint and finish to the point the dealer did the right thing and swapped it out for the Sunset Trail now parked in my driveway. The one in my driveway had two issues with the roof that, like Ohiomark stated, I found easier to fix myself than deal with the 2 hour drive for drop off and several weeks of down time.

The key thing I learned is I found a good dealer with good customer service for the serious issues. I can handle the minor fixes that cost me less than travel and down time.

In today's market, I've noticed all manufacturers have quality issues...what softens the blow is how the dealer takes care of it.

Just make sure you do a good PDI and check the roof seals before you take it off the lot.
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Your are looking at a great trailer.

To add to Woodwalkers comments, the issues you described are with EVERY manufacturer right now. They ALL buy their components from the same group of companies (Lippert, etc). The front cap issue has been going on for years with all the brands. Some have tried to curtail cap issue by painting the caps lighter colors, using larger decals on the problem spots of the caps and some are even going back to the fiberglass wrapped cap (to bad we had tons of issues with ours). With Sunset Trail, you'll be hard-pressed to find a lighter trailer with as many features at a reasonable price in the light weight trailer market, period. Many of us on this forum have done the research. Look to warranties and the ratings of your dealership.

We're on our second lightweight travel trailer. I don't intend to be a pessimist here, but two harsh facts you face buying a lightweight trailer. 1)The industry has quality problems, not specific to any brand. 2)There is a reason why you tow a 30 foot trailer with a half ton truck or Full size SUV, they took the weight out of the trailer and in doing so, there are a lot of cheaper, lighter parts in the camper.

How the manufacturer and more important, your dealership deals with issues will determine your experience.

Owning a trailer is a labor of love. If your handy and like little projects like me and others on the forum you get accustomed to fixing the issues on your own. My dealership is not close to me, so half the time I just fix the issues and forego the warranty claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tott9713 View Post
Ohiomark hit the nail on the head.

We've owned two trailers in the last year, traded our Heartland Prowler for our Sunset Trail 289qb. Both had issues. The Prowler roof leaked on our first trip. The first Sunset Trail we took home had serious quality issues with the paint and finish to the point the dealer did the right thing and swapped it out for the Sunset Trail now parked in my driveway. The one in my driveway had two issues with the roof that, like Ohiomark stated, I found easier to fix myself than deal with the 2 hour drive for drop off and several weeks of down time.

The key thing I learned is I found a good dealer with good customer service for the serious issues. I can handle the minor fixes that cost me less than travel and down time.

In today's market, I've noticed all manufacturers have quality issues...what softens the blow is how the dealer takes care of it.

Just make sure you do a good PDI and check the roof seals before you take it off the lot.

Both good posts with excellent, important points.
Remember, DO THE PDI!!!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd,

To add to the PDI...The corner glass showers have been having leaking issues. Ours was no exception. Didnt catch it in the PDI since they just turned the water on/off and moved on. actually spray the shower where the frame on the glass enclosure meets the fiberglass and wall and look for leaks.

Also, These glass door showers are heavy and shift when traveling and can shift on the base, breaking the silicone seal. I always carry a tube (unopened) of quick dry silicone sealant.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
New Camper

Thank you again to everyone. Your responses have been very helpful!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Good luck taking the plunge. That is a sharp trailer. Open and airy and very light for its size.

Bye the way, although the forum has rules about mentioning dealers and pricing, I can say this without being specific. Since your in the big OH (I'm located between Akron and Cleveland) you might want to take a look at Paul Sherry RV. They're Northwest of Columbus and bit of a jaunt for us, but we've bought two trailers from them (no one local ever has what we want). Great to work with, great service and sales team. Ask for Bill Clark. No nonsense folks and zero pressure. They move a lot of Sunset Trail units. We got a great deal including the extended warranty. And yes, they have 291RKs..like 3 of them.

I have received no compensation or even a free coffee for this endorsement although they left me their scrap wood block to use under the foot of the jack.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You may also be interested about checking into an extended warranty plan. I am sure the dealer will try to sell one to you, but just like the trailer price, do your homework and be sure to negotiate on the price of the extended warranty price. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
You may also be interested about checking into an extended warranty plan. I am sure the dealer will try to sell one to you, but just like the trailer price, do your homework and be sure to negotiate on the price of the extended warranty price. Good luck.
x2

I've used my plan on every trailer and it paid for itself both times.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerad View Post
Hello folks,

I'm new here and looking to purchase my first TT. I have experience using and pulling family and friends rigs but it's time to get my own.

I'm not familiar with Crossroads brand so I did some reading. I did come across some things that concern me.

I have read a lot about awning leaks, front cap fading/discolor, and other quality issues.

My wife and I really like the layout of this unit but the issues I read about worry me.

My question is has Crossroads improved/corrected these issues? What else should I be on the look out for?

Thank you!

Ps.. I have searched these forums but haven't found much regarding the newer models from the past couple years.
Welcome to the forum! As you can already see, lots of good advice. I've had everything from Pop ups to 5th wheels. Keystone, Jayco, Cruiser, Hornet. All have had their pluses and all have had a problem or two.

I suggest finding an independent RV repair man who will do warranty work. It beats going back to the dealer. Unless it's a catastrophic thing like a new roof. A good RV repair guy is as good as a good mechanic.

I'm a big fan of YouTube. There is a couple who are living my dream. They started by selling everything and buying an RV to travel the US. Now they have sold their RV and bought a sail boat to travel the world. They have a video that really made sense when I watched it regarding buying a new RV. I think it's worth the 12 minutes to watch it.

https://youtu.be/No6ZKDaBpTg

I bought a 2016 Cruizer. I've had some minor problems, but otherwise would say it's one of the nicest RV's I have ever owned. I find you have to pick your battles. The switch for the rear support jacks seems to have died. For all the effort to get a new switch replaced under warranty, I use my electric drill and a socket. I also found a fix on here that another member shared. Maybe I will get to it this summer. Once the dealer has your money or signature on the loan papers, the chase is on. They are onto the next sale and moving the next unit out of the lot.

I read about the front caps fading on the Cruizers and had conncerns about fading. The early 2016 models had light caps, mine is a 2016 and a half and has a dark cap. I've been told mine is a painted cap to avoid the fading. I guess the best you can do is to keep it clean and waxed/protected to avoid fading and discoloration. That being said, It's out in the sun and fully exposed. There have been some recent posts about a product that brings back the color and shine, so that is promising.

Last year I was at a seasonal park and a fellow camper bought a pre-loved Keystone Laredo. The front cap was faded terribly. It was only 3 years old. The rest of the unit was well maintained, clean and they had no problems.

People are quick to complain about problems. Problems are usually a combination of dealer and manufacturer interaction. I would suggest you read your manual, make sure you have the manufacturer, model, serial number of your air conditioners, heater, refrigerator, water heater etc. My toilet seat was broken. You would think that they could replace a toilet seat on a Thetford toilet with a foot flush without a big fuss? No, they needed model and serial number off the toilet. I signed for my Cruiser March 19th 2016 and did my PDI. I didn't take delivery until May 5th 2016. I didn't get all the problems resolved until, well they all never got resolved. To be fair, had the same problems with another dealer in another state on a Heartland.

Safe travels! Ask questions, share your stories, good and bad!

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #13
AJB
New Camper

At the end of February we purchased our ss291rk and are very pleased. We have been out for 11 nights so far and have no issues. As previously posted, a good dealer is essential. Our dealer completely checked out the camper and made some minor repairs prior to our PDI. This is our 4th camper and the 1st with no issues. The front cap is painted mostly white and I hope this will help with fading. I wish you well on your decision. Based on our initial experience, I would recommend this unit.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
...you might want to take a look at Paul Sherry RV. They're Northwest of Columbus and bit of a jaunt for us, but we've bought two trailers from them (no one local ever has what we want). Great to work with, great service and sales team. Ask for Bill Clark. No nonsense folks and zero pressure. They move a lot of Sunset Trail units. We got a great deal including the extended warranty. And yes, they have 291RKs..like 3 of them.
I second Mark's comment. We drove over 5 hours to buy one from Paul Sherry, and bought from Bill Clark. Our unit has had a couple of minor issues since we bought it last June, none season ending, and each easily fixable. So we are so far counting that as a win.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We are planning to buy a SS-291RK today also. This will be our seventh trailer so we kinda know what to expect. That doesn't mean I am happy about the poor workmanship in the RV industry but have learned to expect it. Unless it needs parts bought I do all the repairs myself as it is much less frustrating.

For your sake and ours I hope this 291RK is a good one.
Marty
mgssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Hi Marty! I see this is your first post. Welcome!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Congratulations on the new rig Marty. Welcome to the forum.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote