Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
New Camper

Looking at a Sunset Trail 26RL or 290RL

Hi, I'm a newbie looking to buy our first TT. I really like the floor plan of both the 26RL and the 290RL. We are upgrading from a pop up and would like to travel nationwide in a couple of years when we retire. Has anyone had either of these floor plans? We are looking at the new 2015 or 2016. We are concerned about the slides as we have heard stories of leakage and problems during opening and closing. How is the quality of construction; are there many problems with these floor plans? We are also considering a Forest River Flagstaff Classic 27RLWS, but it has 3 slides and we don't know much about the quality of the Forest Rivers. (Of course we know about the Rockwood pop ups, they were poorly constructed) Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Campingsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
New Camper

Angry Sorry, I don't have that Model, but...

Here is a list of problems I submitted 3 months after my warranty ran out.

1. Faded front Cap
2. Front Cap LED failure
3. Awning LED failure
4. Crown molding warping
5. Pantry door warping
6. Bunkhouse counter edging peeling off
7. Shower stall has a leak on the bottom when occupied and in use. (RV is in winter storage so unable to show actual leakage)

8. Underside Wire harness on slide out fell off

TODAY 6/22/16, Crossroads told me "sorry".

...btw... They redid the front cap (I have yet to see it). Tried to tell me out of the kindness of their hearts... Sure. Forget the fact that it has their NAME, MODEL and logo there in BIG BOLD decal form.

NEVER AGAIN! I have been soured by Crossroads. ALSO, stay away from Pete's RV!!! Both companies have horrible customer service!

Here is their "Philosophy": " We take pride in our lean philosophy of keeping the frills minimal in our organizational structure, yet quality of product, service, value and comfort high for customer satisfaction."

So much for PRIDE, QUALITY and CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!!
KampKuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Team

OK. Lets see.

Cap faded
Led failure (both)
Pantry door warping
They are all outsourced products.
Crown molding is also an outsourced product

Counter top edge peeling and Shower leak, definitely a Crossroad problem.

Compared to others who have had problems, these seem pretty minimal but are truly annoying for a new RV.

Not making excuses for Crossroads, but, your list is fairly common throughout the RV industry.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

You WILL have the same or similar issues regardless of which brand/make/model/manufacturer/price you buy as the QC throughout the entire industry sucks, the folks with the 1/2 million dollar MHs have the same issues as you.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
OK. Lets see.

Cap faded
Led failure (both)
Pantry door warping
They are all outsourced products.
Crown molding is also an outsourced product

Counter top edge peeling and Shower leak, definitely a Crossroad problem.

Compared to others who have had problems, these seem pretty minimal but are truly annoying for a new RV.

Not making excuses for Crossroads, but, your list is fairly common throughout the RV industry.
Have been on CR RV factory tours & Counters; Tables; & such are also vendor provided(outsourced.)
Shower pans & surrounds come per-caucked(sealer applied) at joint for pan to surround by outside provider(outsourced.)

Thor's three levels of CrossRoads RV's NEW management has directives to increase production & increase net profit no matter WHAT . . .
Previous CR RV management agreements to produce RVs for & labeled FORD scarred the "pants off" Thor Execs (& lied to stockholders.) Ford Contract(s) has / had some real "TEETH" but would have doubled CR RV profits if done(built) correctly.
But, we know or experienced Thor's &/or CR RV workers idea of QA & QC!
And worse their values of warranty . . .

Anyone seen Ford branded RVs; not, several sets of RVs sent never passed "mustard." Thor & CR RV haven't re-shipped "pilot" preproduction units . . .
Old 06-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
New Camper

Thank you all so much for your comments. The more I research various manufacturers, the more I see these common issues. However, I do agree on a new RV, you shouldn't have some of these issues. I also see that some seem to have very few problems, yet others have lots of problems. One quote that I read, from a very wise person, just hope "you get an RV that was not made on a payday Friday!" (Sorry, can't remember where I read it, but it sure made me chuckle.)
Campingsue is offline   Reply With Quote