Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
New Camper

Hi all new hear just sold my05 forest river that we only had a year. It was an 05 looking to upgrade to a sunset trail 30 re or looking at coachmen 281 rlds I believe it is. Both dealers are about 2 hrs away just really nervous, read about slide issues and other things on the crossroads but love the celing and fireplace but really would prefer better construction over looks any advice would be great thanks in advance Ronnie
Rjball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Have had my Crossroads over a year and had no real issues. Replace my bathroom faucet because of the short neck on the original and added a Blu-Ray player. Under most situations the fireplace is all we need to heat the TT.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the reply which one do you have and I guess you r saying they are insulated pretty well?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I think there are other manufacturers that are having issues too. Find the layout you like and go from there.

I checked with every manufacturer on line and then found a dealer that had the model we wanted. The selling dealer was 120 miles away (Camping World). There is another Camping World dealer 28 miles from us and that is where I take it for service and warranty work.

Have a "good discussion" with the service department if you are worried about warranty work. If you have not purchased from the dealer see if you can find someone who has and see how they liked the service department.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I have the 30RE , it is the floor plan we like, we like the ceiling and the style and looks.
However, we have had a Multitude of problems, Axles, front cap, Roof and decking, slide issues.
Mine is a 12 model with the 2 year warranty that is not really a two year. I would hate to start out with just a one year warranty!
I have been searching other manufacturers such as Jayco, Considering trading. I have found they have quality issues as well. I don't know what to do, I keep thing all the issues should be about fixed , but what will show up later ?
It is in the shop now, been there 3 weeks.
What ever you buy, understand the service dept is WAAAAAY more important than the sales dept.

PaulEdited by: Pnr

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Research, research and research. I am currently researching four different manufactures units for us to full time in and I have joined those manufactures forums and doing as much reading and asking questions as I can about them. Not only that but researching the dealers we might buy from to see what people think about them. I already know what kind of prices I can get from the different dealers involved but I want to know more about their service after the sale as well as the manufactures support after the sale. We are looking at spending a good chunk of change here so I am trying to eliminate any prospective issues I can up front.

You are on the right track asking questions and getting opinions from different owners and if Coachman has a forum you can join and do research on them I would suggest you join it as well and see what you can find out about them. Go to the Sunset Trail section here and look back through the previous post for problems and how they were handled. I may be over anal about researching units but our current unit has been such a disappointment to us I am doing everything I can this time to not let it happenagain. I know we could get another one like it but we are hoping we have better luck on the next one.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
New Camper

I just sold my Coleman Caravan 2002 that I had for twelve years and am looking at buying a Crossroads Sunset Trail 270BH. It sounds like there are a lot of issues with these? I too would like some advice.

Thanks
colemanfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Site Team

I think the best advise you and the op can get, was just stated by Pnr and hunter11. Everything else is just personal opinion.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I may be jumping the gun, but we have had only minor issues with our 2013 ST 30RE (bought it in June 2013).
1. Some of the awning LED's were not working during PDI (since replaced by dealer)
2. Screen missing on one of the windows (fixed)
3. Shelf on top of TV warped (replaced)
4. One of the ceiling panels needed to be re-stapled (fixed)
5. Door to bedroom fell apart (repaired)
6. Caulking cracked where front cap meets rubber roof (fixed)

I must say I am a little nervous about the reliability of the slide, awning, and jacks, but no problems yet. I know 2 others who have the ST Reserve and they have had no issues with these electric devices either. Only time will tell!
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Nice floor plan. Slide in bedroom would be nice. Looks roomy. What are you towing it with?
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
New Camper

2012 silverado 4x4 ext cab1500 5.3l 3.42 gears
Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
Site Team

Let's face it. All brands have issues. Check out their forums. It's really important to check out the dealer and esp their service department. That determines if any issue can be resolved in a timely manner. Check 'em out. Good luck on your search. BTW, have had my '13 Patriot out 4 time since I bought it, had only some minor issues. (LED's burned out, adjust pinbox)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Service dept is the most important. Mine is worth less. We full time, kinda hard to take in for service. Had to replace microwave first week. Service manager knew that we couldn't bring it in. When new microwave arrived. He didn't even offer to come out. Twenty minutes from dealer. Just asked if I could install myself. Right then I knew Blue Dog RV was not going to be a good experience in the service dept.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

My recommendation would be to buy a extended warranty. I typically never buy extended warranties but I just purchased the lincoln rushmore which has alot of appliances and 5 slideouts in addition to the 6 pt leveler. I decided to purchase a 5 year warranty for a cost of $2000. I have used the camper for one week so far and is now back in shop for some minor things. Also the technician at dealership hooked battery up wrong and it blew mulitple fuses and ruined the outside radio that is being replaced now. Please make sure battery is hooked up properly before leaving with unit.Overall I am very happy with the unit and everything is currently functioning properly. Hopefully, my trips to service department will be minimal.
Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I have a 2011 zinger and have been very pleased with it. It had a few minor issues that were fixed under warranty. As others have said, all manufacturers have been having issues. I guarantee you that you will here the same things from the coachmen owners about quality and service etc. it unfortunately is industry wide. Also as others have said, the service department is what is really important. You need a service department that has a really good reputation and a great rapport with the manufacturer. I would also buy the trailer that has the floorplan that you like better or you will just trade again.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Honestly I think the sunset trail is probably gonna be too much trailer for your truck. What does the payload sticker on your door read? These trailers will have a heavy tongue weight. The sunset trail will probably be close to 8000 lbs loaded which means at loaded tongue weight of 1000-1200 lbs. The payload of your truck needs to be able to handle the weight of all options, fuel, family, pets and gear. The payload sticker will account for options and 150 lb driver but not the family, pets or gear. Best bet is to go weight the truck fully loaded ready to tow and with a full tank of fuel. Then subtract the scaled weight from the silverado's gvwr to get your available payload. Subtract the scaled weight from the silverado's gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. The loaded tongue weight (13-15% of loaded weight of the trailer) needs to be less than the available payload. The loaded weight of the tt needs to be less than the adjusted towing capacity. You need to be within both of these numbers. If you are thengo with the one you like better. If not then go with the one that fits within those numbers. Hope this also helps you narrow things down some.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro

Honestly I think the sunset trail is probably gonna be too much trailer for your truck. What does the payload sticker on your door read? These trailers will have a heavy tongue weight. The sunset trail will probably be close to 8000 lbs loaded which means at loaded tongue weight of 1000-1200 lbs. The payload of your truck needs to be able to handle the weight of all options, fuel, family, pets and gear. The payload sticker will account for options and 150 lb driver but not the family, pets or gear. Best bet is to go weight the truck fully loaded ready to tow and with a full tank of fuel. Then subtract the scaled weight from the silverado's gvwr to get your available payload. Subtract the scaled weight from the silverado's gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. The loaded tongue weight (13-15% of loaded weight of the trailer) needs to be less than the available payload. The loaded weight of the tt needs to be less than the adjusted towing capacity. You need to be within both of these numbers. If you are thengo with the one you like better. If not then go with the one that fits within those numbers. Hope this also helps you narrow things down some.

Good advice. You always want a TV that is more than enough, takes overloading out of the equation.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I always figured that if you are going to do your research on a new trailer you should research how much your TV is capable of towing first. No use wasting time looking at something your truck is not rated to tow.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Aww heck Keith are you trying to tell me that my four cylinder 5 speed regular cab Dodge Dakota is not enough truck??// I doubled the heavy duty shock to make up for the weight. Got to admit it is kind of slow when I am pulling the Cruiser over Monarch pass

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Frank I hope you got the Tow Package in that Dakota!!!!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote