Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a new 2012 335 the rv is great to tow,and love the floor plan,however it is about the cheapest made I have seen, it took 6 refegerators before they got one that worked,the bed slide leakes on the bed in the rain.the papercovering the not wood is comeing off,the celing over the kitchen table is falling down the only thing holding it up is the light,the vinel floor has bubbles in it,the hight speed on the fire place does not work,had to change the shower head it was realy bad water just dribbled out,the doors that flip up in the cabinets over the sleeper bedthe glass droped out had to put the back in,It was realy hot this summer had to put in a second a/c unit the factory should do this when built for what you pay for the rv, they should do a lot better on building them its like they have no quailty control or don't inspect them when they come out of the factory.Like I said love the floor plane and it towes like a dream but that is the only good thing I have to say about the cross roads 335.
Michael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What are you doing to get the problems corrected? Since you live in Missouri, you might want to consider taking it back to the factory repair center in Topeka, Indiana. Call Randy Mischler and email him your list of problems. Unless things have changed dramatically, he will take good care of you.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Has the dealer taken care of these problems?

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Michael I have a 2012 335ss and it has been back to the dealer once for bedroom leak and a number of other things. Got it back and bed slide still leaked. Wood frame on the fridge door fell off. And the plastic run that holds the wires up broke. It is at the factory right now getting fixed I hope. So they are trying. Love the trailer but ever time go out something goes wrong. Call Crossroads and talk to Randy and they will take care of you. Unlike some other brands.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We purchased a new 2012 30RE. Took delivery on September 24th. We towed it home approximately 45 miles. Once home we set it up put the slide out and proceeded to get it ready for our first camping trip the next weekend. Reservations now made. On Wednesday it rained. Thursday we went out to finish loading and go through the final check list. There was water all over the dining table in the floor across to the kitchen side. So much water the rug in front of the sink was completely soaked and dripping when I picked it up. Water all under the sink cabinets. Dried everything up pulled the slide in and decided to still make our trip.
Saturday morning we hook up and we're on our way as we start to pull out we noticed an extremely loud squeaking coming from the curb side front wheel. Decided it must be moisture. Continued on. Five blocks later smoke was coming from underneath the trailer. It was a wheel bearing. Went straight home and lost $80.00 and precious time with my family. Two weeks later and Lippert is still trying to find someone to come repair it. First payment due in 10 days. Is there not a true inspection process before these leave the factory??? If this where a car it wouldnt be acceptable and the dealer would fix everything regardless of who manufactured the component. I expect my dealer to manage these repairs. Not someone that simply provides me with phone numbers of who I need to call. This industry has a long way to go in my opinion.
List of items that need repair and still haven't taken it out.
Bad wheel bearing
Leaking slide
Slide won't close without someone outside to push. Every time
Bathroom door scrapes ceiling when opened all the way
Ceiling panel at entry door has fallen down.
With slide closed you can see daylight on both sides of the bottom corners
Shower leakes water at both corners of the enclosure. Flooding the bathroom floor
Wallpaper borders are coming loose (air bubbles) from the walls

So far this has been an expensive lawn ornament. Hope to be rolling soon. But that will be to the dealer to leave it with them for the other repairs. It will most likely be next year now before we can enjoy our purchase. This is not what I expect for a purchase of this amount.

Extremely disappointed.
Equal-I-Zer Hitch
DW ,Daughter
Millie & Scooter (man's best friends)

Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Rooster: I can truly understand how you would be disappointed. My RV is my pride and joy. That having be said, I fell the dealer will make it right. Yes you will be out loss of time and a trip or two back to the dealer. BUT. I feel if it was me,my local dealer "Toppers" outside Houston, TX would make it right.

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,2x4,QC

2011 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 SeaDoo GTX SC
wenzdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I happened to read this thread just after I posted on another thread (in which I ended my questions with a comment about the shabby design, fit and finish of Crossroads trailers). When I was researching the purchase of my trailer (23CK), I was impressed by a number of forum comments related to the great after-sale response and service by the manufacturer as well as the quality of the trailer touted by the dealer from whom I purchased, the manufacturer and some forum members (who obviously got a good trailer). The dealer (who I knew to be honest) related, with some excitement, travelling to the factory and experiencing the quality and care of the workmanship. As I also noted in my other post, this quality is average at best and certainly no better than others.

In retrospect, I find it a bit ironic that the after sale response to issues is so applauded by some forum members, but I would rather have a quality product, in the first place, that does not require such a response from the builder or dealer.

Due to circumstance, we only used our trailer two times in the first year and, unfortunately, discovered a number of things at the expiry of the warranty. These included the above-bed shelf being almost an inch higher on one end than the other (this is not from use/movement, this is how it was built), The heads of seven (so far) screws along the horizontal trim, popping off (after its first hand wash, I found four laying on the driveway). Overtightened at the factory?? The sensors in the grey and black tanks were incorrectly attached (wire to the bottom was screwed to the middle etc) and one left hanging loose. The exterior end of the waste tube was not secured and allowed to bounce around. The other issues were related to poor design and fit and finish and I was able to correct most.

These things sort of remind me of how the general buyer seems to accept flaws in RV products almost like we have come to accept bugs in computer software that is introduced before it is perfect.

I expect, if we eventually purchase another trailer, that we will look elsewhere.

Sad really, cause as we were buying, I actually thought we had found a unique company and product.

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

[In retrospect, I find it a bit ironic that the after sale response to issues is so applauded by some forum members, but I would rather have a quality product, in the first place, that does not require such a response from the builder or dealer.]

Well Marv, good luck on that one. You could pay $100k for a unit and still have issues with it. Things happen when humans are involved and that is just the way it is. Now given that any RV can have issues I would much rather have bought one from a good dealer or from a manufacture thatwill support it's customers than one that has your money and could care less about you. From reading your post and your issues with your trailer it would appear you had taken a couple of trips and knew of several issues that could have been taken care of under the warranty period but you did not do anything to have them corrected until after your warranty had expired. If that is the case then that is on you and not your dealer or Crossroads.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Hunter11,

I realize that when humans get involved in any process, things can't be perfect. My point was more that we (humans in general) seem to be more accepting of lower standards and just accept that the item will be taken care of post-production. I have absolutely no problem with minor issues that occur from time to time, but it seems the more we embrace the production line, the more we become accepting of degraded quality. Even you must admit that some of the stuff reported just in this thread by others is a bit over the top (and I don't mean the severity of a single issue but more the numbers of issues with a single product). Rather than be thankful that after-market service is great (which I no doubt believe is the case with Crossroads and I am thankful), shouldn't we perhaps demand more in the first instance (whether the item is $100K or $20K). Must admit I don't agree fully with your "that's the way it is". You go to a fine furniture maker who does one-offs and I doubt you would be as accepting of multiple problems as we seem to from a production company.

As to the issues with my trailer, the screws, misaligned shelf, insecure waste pipe were discovered when it was too late for warranty work. The other issues were minor and taken care of by myself, while some others were related more to design matters (e.g. the table folds down but had no way to secure it in place - until now, I added a tie-down system. After the first couple hundred miles we discovered the table had slid across the floor and gouged the cabinet). The hold/rust is related to customer use and I do not blame Crossroads in the least. Not sure yet about the radio light.

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Marv,

Certainly I understand the human error factor that Hunter11 refers to. However I'm in agreement with you about acceptance. We as a buying community have simply accepted the premise or understanding that repairs after delivery is just a fact of life. If consumers don't respond in a way that gets the attention of the manufacturer they will never change.
When a farmer purchases a new tractor whether it's $20k or a $100k he expects it to work the moment the implement dealer rolls it off the trailer. I am in the electronics industry. When I sell a $50 dollar component to a aircraft manufacture it is accompanied with $200 dollars worth of paper work so that if there is a failure it can be traced back through every hand that ever touched it. I as the authorized dealer handle everything for that customer. Regardless of who made it.
It's called accountability and selling a part that has the quality builtin before it gets to the end customer. This is a great comfort to me as I fly a lot for work. As with a travel trailer. I expect the quality was cemented into the build before I pick it up. Not after I put my family in my tow vehicle and start down the road for my new RVs first quality test.
It makes me wonder how many camping folks would tolerate the same manufacturer issues if they were associated with their tow vehicles instead of their RV. I doubt we would be having the same discussion or seeing comments like "That's the way it is".

Just the humble opinion of someone who makes their living selling quality first. Anyone can buy cheap parts and there are those that sell them. They are however the minority. This seems to be an industry wide culture and that culture has spawned the mentality we see today.

Again just one humble opinion.
Equal-I-Zer Hitch
DW ,Daughter

Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
New Camper

As long as we continue to accept poor quality, the manufacturing qualities will continue to be poor. Considering the price of RV's today and the added cost at the dealer to "get it ready and validate all the components work" Should guarantee a product that works without issues from day one.

I am now on my fourth RV (increasing the size and ability of each RV as my family grew). While my Cross Roads Cruiser has been the best quality so far, I still consider it to be below the quality standard. Holes for plumbing access that look like an ax was used to cut them, a tub that leaked because the fitting was was not attached properly, leaking black water plumbing and sawdust and metal shavings all over are among the few items I have dealt with from "my best quality purchase so far".

The argument of "just take it back to the dealer and they will fix it" makes me grind my teeth. The idea of hooking up my trailer, dealing with Seattle traffic just so I can take the RV back to the dealer to be fixed almost makes me hide in the corner in the fetal position and whimper.

Yes, things do go wrong when humans are involved in the build of a product, I see it everyday in my work life, but there are ways and processes to mitigate these items and still produce a product that has great quality and profitable for the manufacturer. Unfortunately, the RV industry has not adopted these processes or has chosen to ignore them all together.

bcv1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I was getting ready to seal a deal on a st30re crossroads sunset trail but now reading all these articles i'm not ready to continue negotiating on a final price.to many problems with all these units.when you spend the kind of $$ to buy one of these units you should not have to keep going back to dealer for repairs and especiially not sending it back to the factory for repairs.it sounds like they are building these TT's like the way they use to build american cars. to me this is not acceptable. its sounds like they really don't care about building a great product!Edited by: mb1953
mb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Just wanted to post an update on our new ST30RE. After bringing it home on September 24th we have now missed three scheduled camping trips. One for the wheel issue. Fixed five weeks after delivery and the other two trips cancelled due to slide malfunction. We did however get to take it out last Friday. It made a trip back to the selling dealer with a list of repairs that looked more like my children's Christmas wish list.
We are so disappointed in the lack of quality this product has. This is our second travel trailer and most likely will be our last unless this industry decides to adopt a quality control process that would be par for this day and time. It is my understanding the repairs will take three to four weeks. With the exception of one repair that will most likely have to be performed at the factory. This will mean approximately 4500 miles on the tires and they will be well out of warranty by then. And I haven't even used it yet. What a wast of time and money. The statement buyer be ware seems to be the common thread where RVs are concerned.
This truly is a disappointment. I would just like my money back.
Equal-I-Zer Hitch
DW ,Daughter

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Not happy to hear the continuing sad story's of your new crossroads TT. I have people on this web site knock me when i say something bad on this forum site.I have just seen to many new CR-TT owners have more major problems with their new TT's. What drives me crazy is some TT owners say this is the norm in this industry and they accept it. I expect highquality workin what ever i buy. Some people say they have great Crossroads TT's and too many tell us about All theirMajor problems. All I hear is customer service is great when you have a problem.Maybe if theytried building them better in the first place so many people would not have to send themback to the factory..crossroads has lost me as a buyer.
mb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

mb1953, why don't you go get yourself a Keystone or Forest River product and see how you feel in a year or so. Better yet why don't you go do some research on other brands you think have little tono issues (which you won't find) and see what kind of customer support those owners get after the sale when they have problems. I suppose you have never bought a vehicle that has had any issues you had to have repaired under warranty? Like the others have said anything you buy now days can have issues, the thing you have to do is make sure whatever you buy has good support after the sale. We have owned two Crossroads products so far, the first did not have any issues and our current unit did. I called Crossroads for all our issues since we bought from an out of State dealer and I was always treated fairly and all our issues were taken care of. I cannot ask for to much more than that. In fact if things work as we have planned we will be purchasing our third Crossroads unit after the first of the year. Good luck in your search for your perfect RV but just in case you don't get one you had better have a good dealer and manufacture to take care of you. Crossroads is one of those, good luck on finding many more that are.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

X2 Hunter11. We too are on our second cruiser fifth wheel. Never had a single issue with the '07 unit. Had one issue with our current unit, a bad slide actuator. Dealer and Crossroads took care of it in one week, under warranty. We spend about 120 nites a year in our units. Spent lots of time looking at lots of manufacturers before we bought the '07. Crossroads is by far at the top of my list. I bet if someone opened a post for people to hype up all the good stuff about crossroads, the trailers, the service, the warranties it wouldn't take long before there would be many pages. JMHO.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1953
Not happy to hear the continuing sad story's of your new crossroads TT. I have people on this web site knock me when i say something bad on this forum site.I have just seen to many new CR-TT owners have more major problems with their new TT's. What drives me crazy is some TT owners say this is the norm in this industry and they accept it. I expect highquality workin what ever i buy. Some people say they have great Crossroads TT's and too many tell us about All theirMajor problems. All I hear is customer service is great when you have a problem.Maybe if theytried building them better in the first place so many people would not have to send themback to the factory..crossroads has lost me as a buyer.
MB - Personally I don't care what mfg. you purchase.

I have the same the aggravation as you in that the substandard craftsmanship is the norm and we accept it. I feel the products of delivered by the RV mfg's are very much like politicians, in that they all are crap but we purchase what we can afford / vote on the best of the worst. But, I would like to know what mfg. you have found in doing your homework that doesn't have any issues / warranty claims and or a level of service that is far better than CR?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

I obviously struck a nerve with my update. Let me start with saying I traded in a Forest River (Rockwood) TT for our new ST30RE. We purchased it new,owned it for three years and it never saw a service bay. It was a great experience. We never had a single problem with it. So I guess I can't attest to the quality of service or lack of provided by Forest River.
As for my vehicles. Yes I have purchased many vehicles in my years and some had there share of problems. However, when I have a mechanical issue with a vehicle under factory warranty I only have to take it to one place. The dealer takes care of all warranty repairs regardless of who made the defective component. In the rare event I do have a problem they don't leave my a foot. The dealer makes sure I have a loaner car to drive if mine has to stay over night. I personally don't know anyone that had to send their car back to the factory to be repaired or the dealer sent them to the component manufacturer for a warranty repair.
Quality of service after the sale is extremely important for any company. However, this is not what makes a company great. To someone's point in an earlier post, this is just what seperates the bad from the worst. Building an inferior product and selling it to a family that expects it to operate properly knowing there are problems is less than reputable in my opinion. Those that purchase these products with their hard earned money and expect their purchaseto perform at an inferior level when brand new and tell folks this is just the way it is are simply enablers to the manufacturers. I simply believe the RV industry has a long way to go in the area of quality.

For those old enough to remember. There used to be a television manufacturer who's slogan was
"The Quality Goes In Before The Name Goes On". Words to live by,

Thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback.

Equal-I-Zer Hitch
DW ,Daughter

Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

The one thing I agree with is we shouldn't have to go any futher than our dealer to get something fixed. Don't tell me to call lippert if I have a frame problem lippert didn't sell me the camper. I'm not picking on any one but crossroads here. I bought our 5er in 07 had a great dealer for repairs but was still told to I had to go to frame man. my self to get it factory lifted to stop my tires from hitting bottom of trailer. My dealer agreedwith me and did all repairs and they went to factory for their money.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
I obviously struck a nerve with my update. Let me start with saying I traded in a Forest River (Rockwood) TT for our new ST30RE. We purchased it new,owned it for three years and it never saw a service bay. It was a great experience. We never had a single problem with it. So I guess I can't attest to the quality of service or lack of provided by Forest River.

As for my vehicles. Yes I have purchased many vehicles in my years and some had there share of problems. However, when I have a mechanical issue with a vehicle under factory warranty I only have to take it to one place. The dealer takes care of all warranty repairs regardless of who made the defective component. In the rare event I do have a problem they don't leave my a foot. The dealer makes sure I have a loaner car to drive if mine has to stay over night. I personally don't know anyone that had to send their car back to the factory to be repaired or the dealer sent them to the component manufacturer for a warranty repair.

Quality of service after the sale is extremely important for any company. However, this is not what makes a company great. To someone's point in an earlier post, this is just what seperates the bad from the worst. Building an inferior product and selling it to a family that expects it to operate properly knowing there are problems is less than reputable in my opinion. Those that purchase these products with their hard earned money and expect their purchaseto perform at an inferior level when brand new and tell folks this is just the way it is are simply enablers to the manufacturers. I simply believe the RV industry has a long way to go in the area of quality.

For those old enough to remember. There used to be a television manufacturer who's slogan was

"The Quality Goes In Before The Name Goes On". Words to live by,

Thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback.

X2

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote