Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
New Camper

My wife and I put a deposit down on the Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB. Unfortunately we are taking a hit on a trailer we bought only last year. The problem was the Sprinter we are getting rid of was really poor quality. It seemed like every time we used it, I was fixing something on Monday morning. It was also way too big and heavy for the sites we normally camp at and we lost about 4 of our favorite sites. Anyway, we have narrowed our search down to the 26RB but are now really hesitant on quality. I had a really good look at one yesterday and it seemed well built, but there were a few things that worried me. Two of the cupboard doors wouldn't close and the swivel mount on the top of the firplace had pulled out the screws and the fireplace was loose. Is this an indication of poor quality? I'm hoping I can get some feedback on what Crossroads owners feel about the quality of their trailers. The more, the merrier! Thank you in advance.
Diggerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
JMHO but before you jump into another trailer purchase get out to a few RV shows and start kicking tires on what's on the market. The manufacturers have put a lot of effort in that market segment. Forest River makes the Rockwood Signature Ultralight, Jayco has the Whitehawk, and KZ has the Spree. All three have a two year warranty and are well regarded for durability.

Best of luck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

First off welcome to the forum

Your going to get a wide range of answers. Some people are discouraged with Crossroads because of the change in warranty and others have had some major ongoing problems, but you will have that with any brand. There are a lot of happy people out there and remember people are more likely to post negative comments then positive ones.

I have had my 09 cruiser for a full year now. I have had one problem with the front of the roof getting an air bubble in it while driving. I spoke to Crossroads about it and they would fix it for free if I took it to the factory or I could take it to my local RV shop and they would pay for half. I was very happy with how I was treated.

Congrats on your new camper and I hope you have many years of happy camping. One thing is for sure this is the most informative forum about your Crossroads product and some of the best and nicest group of people you will find anywhere.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I love our Sunset Trail reserve. While there were a few minor quality issues, like caulking missed in a few spots. Nothing a good PDI can't cure. I looked at alot of other trailers and what I personally found was the Sunset line seamed to have alot of standard features that others called upgrades. Having all theseextras in a base price and weight is what really sold the unit for us.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
New Camper

We have spent the better part of a month looking at floor plans, warranties, customer reviews, etc. The 26 RB seems to be the layout we want. We found out something interesting, Crossroads also makes an exact same trailer called a Maple Ridge, but it's not on their website. The only real difference is the sunset trail has electric stabilizers and the maple ridge is 4 manuals. Any thought on electric vs manual? I've only ever had manual jacks.

We looked at the white hawk line, but they are too cheap and don't have an outdoor kitchen. The outdoor kitchen and no bunks is a must for us in the 26-27' range.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We are happy owners of a 2012 Cruiser. So far no real issues at all. Have done a few small "make it ours" changes, and a couple of "what's this for" questions. Our only failure so far was a stuck open (thank goodness not closed)black water valve. Replaced it myself and all is well.

I do think that the majority of the issues people have here and other forums are actually a small percentage of the RV industry. JMHO though (ducks and covers)
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

welcome to forum you will find out there are a lot of opinions the only advice that I can tell you is pick the camper that fits your needs and find a good dealer the dealer will make your camper no matter what brand you get we have been out in our new rushmore for the 3 time now and have only minor problems that were fix easy and are well satisfied Jim&
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I second what most others have said. We are one our second cruiser and have only had one major problem which our dealer quickly resolved. Find a floorplan you like, with a good dealer, and go for it. The dealer can make all the diffrence in the world. Ours is great.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Diggerz,
As Dale said, I tooam on my second CR. I had virtually no problems with my previous unit...and I attribute that to my dealer. I pick up my new unit tomorrow and I'm as excited as I was to pick up my first. Will there be problems...inevitably, there always are. How you drive, how you check everything out before you leave and after you arrive...the care you take...all those things have to do with how well your experience goes. I treat my unit like a baby, and care for it lovingly. I believe if you do that you will have many years of good camping.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in whatever decision you make. You've already made a good one by finding this site. Many helpful and caring people here...you will find that out quickly.

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Diggerz- hello and welcome. As stated above you will find people who are happy and people who aren't happy. The unhappy tend to be more vocal than those who are satisfied, that is true for any kind of business. All manufacturers have some trailers that make it out with problems that shouldn't have made it out the door. The key is in how the manufacturer stands behind their product. For the most part crossroads has a good history of standing behind things. the new warranty is still a black eye for them and it remains to be seen how good it really is or isn't.

All of that said, we have had our Zinger since we bought it new Jan 2011. During that time we have had a few minor issues that were all repaired under warranty. Our warranty has expired so we will see how things go but we are still happy with our trailer. Also we have had good support and made good friends on this website.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Jim- how's the leg?I guess you got your trailer dug out well enough to do the trade in. Enjoy your PDI tomorrow!!!!

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Thanks so much...the doc says the leg is healing...I start rehab this week...we are figuring on a 4 or 5 hour PDI tomorrow. Then to acounty park to try my hand at parking a fifth wheel LOL I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Thanks, travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We own a 2006 Cruiser and use it 4-5 months every summer non stop all over the country ,so we have a good idea about thequalityand performance.
Till last year we had no issue,last year (out ofWarranty)we had a problem with electrical connection of the water heater,we called a RV Doctor and it was fixed ,I sent the pictures of the bad connection that caused the problem only for the record asking them to improve it in the next models...they asked for the recite and payed the bill....in my opinion-Amazing.
We visited the factory twice and were treated like we are their only customer ,so what I am trying to say is: you need a good product + a good service and I found out that we have it in C.R.
If I trade it will be for another C.R

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshula
We own a 2006 Cruiser and use it 4-5 months every summer non stop all over the country ,so we have a good idea about theÂ*qualityÂ*and performance.
Till last year we had no issue,last year (out ofÂ*Warranty)we had a problem with electrical connection of the water heater,we called a RV Doctor and it was fixed ,I sent the pictures of the bad connection that caused the problem only for the record asking them to improve it in the next models...they asked for the recite and payed the bill....in my opinion-Amazing.
We visited the factory twice and were treated like we are their only customer ,so what I am trying to say is: you need a good product + a good service and I found out that we have it in C.R.
If I trade it will be for another C.R
This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear, haha. I think we have decided to go ahead with the Sunset Trail Reserve. Unfortunately we have to be patient since it has not yet left the factory. They figure we should be able to pick it up near the end of May. Can't wait
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
New Camper

Hi, in being really honest, this is our second Crossroads. We just purchased the Sunset Trail Superlite ST270BH. Our first Crossroads purchase was not a favorite discussion. We had many roof problems with the Slingshot and ended up returning it to our dealer. That being said, I fell in love with the floorplan on the Sunset Trail, hemmed and hawed and decided to give Crossroads a second chance. We have not been out for our first camping trip as of yet, however, I have had the camper home and done my own personal cleaning and testing. We have tested everything as far as the equipment goes (hot water, fridge, awning, slide out, heat, ac and fan). I am in absolute love with this camper so far. It is comfortable to be in and has given me everything I wanted for features. I agree with the others that this camper comes with many standard features that others only offer as upgrades. Our dealer has promised me that they stand by the Sunset Trail 150% especially having had dealt with our previous headaches.
Evan0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I am on my fourth camper, having moved backward in year model and price to a 2007 Cruiser. Like another poster has already stated, those who have had problems tend to be much more vocal than those who are satisfied. When you read these forums and see negative posts, keep that in mind. All models made by all manufacturers are going to have a few problems here and there. Granted, there are lemons in the RV industry just like there are in the automotive industry. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of recourse for someone who buys one.

As for the 2007 Cruiser, I just bought it the first weekend in March and I've taken it out twice so far. As far as I can tell, it is in very good condition for a 6 or 7 year old camper. The construction quality on this unit is as good or better than any I've had. I'm very impressed with the overall quality of it. There are some things on this unit that the other manufacturers could stand to learn from, like marine grade plywood flooring instead of OSB. The only negative I see is the Lippert suspension. It's kind of flimsy for a fifth wheel in my opinion, but then it has apparently given the prior owner 6 years of camping and still going, so it must be better than it looks.

The most important thing when buying a new camper, in my opinion, is making sure that you select a dealer who is established and has a reputation for taking care of the customer after the sale. RV warranties are not like car warranties, and a good dealer will navigate all the red tape and take care of you where a bad dealer will leave you hanging and wishing you'd never seen an RV. I think the dealership is more important than the brand.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I agree with Mike. The dealer is as important , if not more important, than the brand. If your dealer doesn't step up when you have a problem you will be hard pressed to get it resolved.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote