Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WI
Posts: 25
Picked up a 2017 Sunset Trail super lite 270BH

We went through the inspection sheets here, really didn't find any issues, either got lucky or the dealer did a good setup job. We didn't find anything not working or major issues during the time before pickup and on our trial run saturday.

Until we got to the roof. There were some bubbles in the membrane, not huge but not tiny either. The person doing the run through did what one would expect and talked through it. All of them are like this, etc, etc. I'm not buying his explanation yet.

Granted, it was a 2002 but the membrane on my trade was flat all over.

I know there is a lot of stuff on the internet about this, just wondering what others have seen/done specific to the sunset trail super lites?

I'll have to get a picture too.

thanks
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper
 
sjk1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wi
Posts: 400
Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin and congratulations on the new Sunset Trail. We also have a 2017 Sunset Trail and friends of our have a 2016 Sunset Trail and both of our units have a number of bubbles in the roof membrane. We were both told that most are like that and it was not an issue. I did take date stamped pictures of ours. The dealer also said that the roof membrane was warranted for either 10 or 12 years, I can't remember which. I have it in my paperwork. Where in Wisconsin do you enjoy to camp?
__________________
Scott & Julie
Northern Wisconsin
2017 Sunset Trail 250RB
2015 F150 Supercrew w/3.5L EcoBoost/Max tow, w/
157 wheel base.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
Yes, the "membrane " is warrantied for a long time, but not the installation & that's what's causing the bubbles . Get/save all correspondence from your dealer with pictures, times, dates concerning this problem so you can hold their feet to fire when it all comes loose.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold my '13 Redwood 36FB
Currently rv & truckless
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin and congratulations on the new Sunset Trail. We also have a 2017 Sunset Trail and friends of our have a 2016 Sunset Trail and both of our units have a number of bubbles in the roof membrane. We were both told that most are like that and it was not an issue. I did take date stamped pictures of ours. The dealer also said that the roof membrane was warranted for either 10 or 12 years, I can't remember which. I have it in my paperwork. Where in Wisconsin do you enjoy to camp?
Also, you should send in the yearly inspection sheet located in the rear of your Crossroads manual. I don't know if everyone or anyone else pays attention to these, and I'm not a big fan of the inspections. They state that have to be done yearly by a Crossroads dealer, and then mailed or faxed to them. There are six items they will check off, mainly seal inspection. But one is to check the "cavity" of the roof for condensation. Dealer told me there is no way he can check the "cavity". I just sent my first inspection sheet in to Crossroads.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Full Time Camper
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
The Redwood division stopped the annual inspections a couple years ago, the sheet is more than likely still in the generic manual, but it's no longer required to maintain the warranty. It's recommended the consumer inspect the roof at least annually. I believe the reason that it was stopped was dealers were gouging folks for that inspection (+$200) just to walk end to end (maybe) on the roof & say "looks good".
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold my '13 Redwood 36FB
Currently rv & truckless
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The Redwood division stopped the annual inspections a couple years ago, the sheet is more than likely still in the generic manual, but it's no longer required to maintain the warranty. It's recommended the consumer inspect the roof at least annually. I believe the reason that it was stopped was dealers were gouging folks for that inspection (+$200) just to walk end to end (maybe) on the roof & say "looks good".
That's good news. Does that apply to th Sunset Trail also? Not sure what the "Redwood Division" means.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Full Time Camper
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
Redwood is a Thor 5th wheel product serviced/warrantied by Crossroads built in Topeka Indiana, before they discontinued Rushmores they were built on the same line & I don't know about any of the other Crossroads lines, but IMHO it was a scam.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold my '13 Redwood 36FB
Currently rv & truckless
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WI
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin and congratulations on the new Sunset Trail. We also have a 2017 Sunset Trail and friends of our have a 2016 Sunset Trail and both of our units have a number of bubbles in the roof membrane. We were both told that most are like that and it was not an issue. I did take date stamped pictures of ours. The dealer also said that the roof membrane was warranted for either 10 or 12 years, I can't remember which. I have it in my paperwork. Where in Wisconsin do you enjoy to camp?
Thanks for replying. Our trade in camper was so bad we hadn't camped in it as a family for probably 4 years at least. Before that the kids were young so we usually went to Jellystone's or a place that had scheduled activities. Of course there was grandma and grandpa's back yard as extra beds too.

Our dry run last saturday was the Eau Claire Dells east of Wausau. We are looking at Ashland and then looking for a place down by Jefferson for a family gathering.
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,683
Welcome aboard Mike, and congrats on the new camper.
We use to camp in Ashland a lot. Not so much the last few years.
Really enjoyed the City park down there by the ore docks.
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper
 
sjk1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wi
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaporte View Post
Thanks for replying. Our trade in camper was so bad we hadn't camped in it as a family for probably 4 years at least. Before that the kids were young so we usually went to Jellystone's or a place that had scheduled activities. Of course there was grandma and grandpa's back yard as extra beds too.

Our dry run last saturday was the Eau Claire Dells east of Wausau. We are looking at Ashland and then looking for a place down by Jefferson for a family gathering.
Very nice, I hope all goes well. We are headed to Mirror Lake State Park in Wisconsin Dells for a long weekend this weekend and and to Peninsula State Park in Door County for the first 10 days in October.
__________________
Scott & Julie
Northern Wisconsin
2017 Sunset Trail 250RB
2015 F150 Supercrew w/3.5L EcoBoost/Max tow, w/
157 wheel base.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
Full Time Camper
 
woodwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: ca
Posts: 529
Congrats on your new rig and welcome to the group
__________________
2015 Redwood 36RL pushing a 2015 Denali DRW
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #12
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WI
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Welcome aboard Mike, and congrats on the new camper.
We use to camp in Ashland a lot. Not so much the last few years.
Really enjoyed the City park down there by the ore docks.
Thats the one I want to go to, drove through it Geocaching 7-8 years ago, thought it was a neat spot. Have a nice fire and watch the waves roll in.
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 7,683
They tore the docks out 2 or 3 years ago. There is a lot of history in that place. I use to sit there watching the lake and just imagining all the ghosts walking around there.
When we first pulled into that place, the price to camp was only $5. I thought we had found a real gem. Then over the years they woke up to the fact that the place was full every night. Yup, the price went up.
__________________
2008 Cruiser CF26RK
2013 Ford Eco-Boost
Heavy duty payload - Max tow
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 76
Door County is one of our favorite places. If you are a golfer, be sure to play a round at the state park course. The scenery is terrific. Spend a Friday night at the Sister Bay bowling alley. They have a tremendous fish fry. Get there early because it gets crowded. Wish we were there.
__________________
Eric & Ginny
Daisy the Boston
2015 CR Sunset Trail Super Light ST 250RB
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper
 
sjk1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wi
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan View Post
Door County is one of our favorite places. If you are a golfer, be sure to play a round at the state park course. The scenery is terrific. Spend a Friday night at the Sister Bay bowling alley. They have a tremendous fish fry. Get there early because it gets crowded. Wish we were there.
You are absolutely right about the fish fry at the Sister Bay Bowl,it is great. Rowleys Bay Resort has a good fish boil and buffet in you like a fish boil. I hope the fall colors are at peak when we are there the first week in October. We really enjoy all of the bike trails at Peninsula State Park in fall.
__________________
Scott & Julie
Northern Wisconsin
2017 Sunset Trail 250RB
2015 F150 Supercrew w/3.5L EcoBoost/Max tow, w/
157 wheel base.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #16
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,216
Congratulations mlaporte, and welcome to the forum!
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
2016: 1 trip, 3 nights in 1 state, 316 miles
2015: 5 trips, 18 nights in 3 states, 2707 miles
2014: 5 trips, 14 nights in 3 states, 2426 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×