Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Luc
New Camper

Possibly buying a 242BH

Hello All,

I am thinking about buying a 2019 Sunset Trail 242BH and have a few questions for current owners.

1. How well does the 13,500 btu AC work? Does it do a good job of cooling off he bunks where there are no ducts? I would hate to have the kids sleeping in the bunk area if its too hot.

2. I noticed in the model that I walked through that there is a ceiling vent in middle of the unit without a fan. How easy would it be to install a vent with fan? Is the wiring already there in the ceiling? If there is no wiring there how difficult would it be to run or tap off of another line? Also do the little fans on the front and back vents do a good job?

3. In the shower the skylight felt to be a pretty thin material. I was able to easily flex it with my finger. Does anyone know if this was just a "modesty" style internal cover on the skylight? My current camper has a pretty hard clear plastic skylight.

If anyone anything that they love or hate about this model please let me know. We are looking to upgrade from our Rockwood Roo 183 hybrid camper. Its time to sleep on a real bed..lol.

Thanks All, Luc
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. As far as the vent, I have installed fantastic fans and their pretty easy as long as you have access to power which I would think you would have but I’d check. As far as the AC my unit only has one and it does fine unless your in upper 90’s temp with no shade, then it could run continuously during the daytime but after sunset it usually will still cool down fairly quickly. As far as the thin skylight, I wouldn’t really worry about that unless you get a crack. Their tougher than they seem.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hi we have a 2019 Sunset Super Lite 289QB. I don't believe the vent in the main cabin is wired as ours was not but as was mentioned with the AC and Light wiring nearby it shouldn"t be too bad. They did wire for AC the vent in the Master Bedroom. So if I wanted to add a fan or 2nd AC I could pretty easily. (Note we have 50 amp service) We did as mentioned above put a fantastic fan in the main cabin vent and did have to hunt a little for some power. They are very nice.

Our skylight is a double layer affair with a thin modesty layer as you noted and then if you went up to the roof there is a hard plastic shell covering that.

For AC I can't answer as we have a 15K one. It has been fine in the very hot weather.

We like ours. I would mention you need to check often for any leaks and I don't mean the roof. Look at the seams around the side walls, everything very carefully. Our only manufacturing issues involved a seam by the front of the slideout. It wasn't big but it did let enough rain in to damage the floor inside. Remember the floor in the Super Lites is just a sandwich membrane of 1/8 or 1/16" luan covering the top and bottom of a piece of approx. 2" Styrofoam then a layer of whatever for the floor surface. So if water gets in there with the luan only being 1/8" thick it doesn't take much to rot it out.

Good trailer hunting.
Photobob is offline   Reply With Quote