Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
New Camper

New to the forum - but would appreciate any comments. Will be purchasing a Cruiser 30SK next year, but I have the opportunity to pick up a slider hitch NOW for cheap. The hitch is a Hijacker 24-SL-16, 16,000 lb. slider hitch. Our tow vehicle will be a 2006 GMC Duramax with a short box. Does anyone have any experience with this hitch and configuration, and could advise whether I should get it now or wait until next year and get something new??
Currently RVing with a travel trailer and have zero experience with a 5th wheel.

Savaryphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I'm not familar with the hitch but all hitches are built to last and if I could get it cheap enough I would go for it. Others may know more about the hitch.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Looks like a common hitch, appears to be a Canadian company. Inspect the hitch, non sliders are pretty straight forward. Sliders take a bit more inspection and cleaning of the rollers.

Either way if it isn't rusty and damaged and you can get a good deal do it. It appears the company is still in business and can sell you the mounting hardware specific to your truck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Just a closer look at that hitch - the SL model does not have a pivoting head/jaw. That would be a deal breaker for me, a pivoting head helps the trailer/pinbox move with your truck and non-pivoting heads can cause extra frame/pinbox stress, JMHO.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

A good hitch is not cheap, I put mine in and ,,,,, I actualy forget what I paid. I bougt thru a freind and was told he cut me a break.

Reese 18K

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a Hi-Jacker slider hitch but with the double pivoting head. It has a sliding bar instead of the jaws to secure the pin. A lot of times I am hitching up on un-level ground side to side so the pivoting head helps. I guess it depends on where you will be camping. RV parks with paved slabsare usually level but other campground might not. My parking pad in the back has a slight slope so when I hitch the trailer is level but the truck is tipped a little to one side.The hitch will pivot to the side during hitching, unhitching.. It is a lot easier on the equipment than if the hitch was fixed.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I would not purchase a 5th wheel hitch that does not have a pivoting head. If the head does not pivot, anytime you are on a surface where the truck leans one way and the trailer the other, you are causing the frame on the truck and the trailer to twist. That's stress on the trailer frame, kingpin and truck frame that can be avoided with a pivoting head. Not to mention how much easier it makes the hook up.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I'm not familiar with Hijack hitches, but are you able to change the head out? It still maybe a good buy if you able to switch to a pivoting head at a reasonable cost.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We have a highjacker. We bought it a number of years ago when we were on vancouver island they are made there. They are a good quality hitch built to last. We have had no problems neither have most of our friends. I have to agree with everyone a double pivot head makes things much easier if you are not on level ground. But if it is in really good shape and price is right go for it.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #10
New Camper

Thanks everyone for all of this advice. VERY helpful, and I will check if the pivoting head can be swapped in for the exicting one. BTW, guy wants $300 for the hitch.

Savaryphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Swapping to a pivot head may cost you as much as a new hitch. I tried to buy a new 16,000 lb reese head and the only way I could buy was a complete unit.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I was just looking at the Hijacker website. It looks like they have made some design changes since I got mine. In any case, they do list an upgrade kit to convert a single pivot to a double pivot.No MSRP given. Best would be to contact them I guess.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
New Camper

ok, i realize i'm a bit late posting. but for my money on a short bed hitch, check out the super glide hitch. i have the 14k model and i can not speak highly enough for this little piece of magic!

i tow my 2010 Cruiser 5th wheel with an '08 Ford F350 short bed and have had it at angles greater than 90 degrees and still had room between the cab and the trailer cap, all i had to do was turn the darn steering wheel!

check it out at their website. not sure what it is off hand but you can google it and come up with alot of sites for it. it would be well worth your time.

and just to answer any questions...i am not a dealer or rep for the company. just a very impressed and satisfied customer