Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Questions about the Sunset Trail Ultra-

Hi: I'm in process of purchasing this unit from a dealer that took it in on trade. I've noticed a couple of things and am hoping someone out there can set my mind at ease, regarding the following:

1) I've seen pictures of these showing a front fiberglass shroud. This link is supposed to be a walk thru of a 2015 ST240BH:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2015+sunset+trail+240bh+you+yube&view=det ail&mid=7DAD4801EFB5B43915EE7DAD4801EFB5B43915EE&F ORM=VIRE[/URL]

My concern is the unit I'm looking at has some differences, most notably mine does not have the front fiberglass shroud shown in the above video. I've seen pictures of units like mine that say they are the 2015 240 BH, so I'm assuming perhaps there were different versions made that year? See the attachment, this is what mine looks like.

Can anyone explain the difference in these two images? Also, the video shows solid wood doors separating the bedroom from the living areas, but my unit has fanfold separators. My unit has two small propane tanks, but the spec sheet indicates the standard was two 20lb tanks.

I assume I can chalk it up to the risks of buying used, but would feel better if someone could explain these differences. Lastly, nothing comes up when I search on my VIN #. Are these red flags, or am I borrowing trouble?

Thanks, I'm supposed to sign the contract tomorrow and would like some peace of mind first

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015st240bh.jpg (653.0 KB, 11 views)
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

yes , sometime in '14 or '15 they switched from the flat front end, that leaked,(i think) to the fiberglass front end. ( The gelcoated fibrerglass front will need to be clear coated as they will fade just like a coloured boat will fade) The small tanks are the 20# ers . the big ones are the 30 lb'ers.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The bedroom doors have changed over the years. On my model a year previous, they were folding, mine are sliding, and now there is one conventional door for the 2017. It's not uncommon to change some details mid-model year also.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks all, I feel much more at ease after seeing your replies. Part of the deal is that a full inspection of the vehicle is performed before it's mine, cause once I leave the lot, there is no warranty. I called the salesman and asked that I could monitor this inspection. I had asked earlier if they hose it down and check for leaks, and he said they do. He just called back and said the inspection is doen by dealer employees and customers aren't allowed in that area for insurance reasons. I politely stated that I was not trying to be a jerk, but I would prefer to be able to witness their inspection. I want to see that it doesn't leak for myself, not, simply take the word of someone employed by the dealership. He said he'd double check with the manager. They have been very accommodating to me so far, so I may or may not press the point. If it does leak, is it simply a straight forward re-caulk of the seams to fix it?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Good for you standing up to them on that. Water damage is one of the biggest things you have to watch for and signs arent always obvious. Soft floors, small brown spots on ceiling, dampness on the wall could hint at water.

Many leaks are a lack of caulking or old\failed caulking.

A roof inspection would be helpful. Look for bubbles in the material, missing caulk, tears and such.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks again all. I talked to the salesman again today, and he said we should take a shakedown trip ASAP. If we find any problems we should bring it in right away. They will not leave us holding the bag if we find something right away, just don't come back six months later with something... I felt much better after that conversation, so we are good to go. We are scheduled to pick it up a week from Sat (8/27). Plan to park it on the street in front of the house for a couple of days. I may hose it down myself to check for leaks and will definitely check the roof.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Be sure whatever they promised is in writing, word of mouth means absolutely nothing from a rv/car salesman.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Be sure whatever they promised is in writing, word of mouth means absolutely nothing from a rv/car salesman.

I totally agree with that statement!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Xs 2!

Does the dealer offer an extended warranty?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Xs 2!

Does the dealer offer an extended warranty?
Yes, but we opted to use the money for other things we want (2 6V batteries, an inverter, etc) So we are playing the odds...
Old 08-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Update: The dealer dropped the price and tossed in a couple of other "goodies", so we did get the 5 year extended warranty after all!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbs up.jpg (4.8 KB, 44 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Nothing showing Mark.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Now you got it.