Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

RFZ 27BH Pickup is scheduled - what do I need to know?

So we made the plunge and we are purchasing a 2016 RFZ 27BH. Our pickup is scheduled for the end of the month. We are making a big jump from a mini-van/popup combo to a RAM 2500/ 5th wheel. I think we are ready, but please let me know if there is something else we should be doing before or day of.

- Printed out the PDI provided on these forums: reading/re-reading to make sure we understand what is involved.
- Plan to share the PDI with our sales rep this week so they are prepared. CW told me they are "hiring" someone to go over the inspection with us, so I'm hoping for someone more knowledgeable than the sales crew.
- Childcare has been arranged, so we can focus on the inspection the day of
- We've been watching videos for tips and tricks on towing a 5th wheel since it's such a drastic change for us.
- Superglide 5th wheel hitch is scheduled for install the morning of. I've had many conversations with the CW service department and was told they're having their most experienced guy do the install for us while we inspect the trailer.
- Researching and receiving insurance quotes
- Set to receive some hoses and "starter package" items from a trusted colleague this weekend.
- printed out and reviewed the recommended tools to keep in your RV. My husband owns most already so we're putting together a tool bag to keep with the camper.
- scheduling a couple weekend trips within a month or 2 of pickup with the focus to be to press all the buttons and turn everything on and off. We might spend more time indoors than we typically prefer, but we want to make sure we put the trailer through its paces sooner rather than later and especially before winter hits.

Questions
1. What items should we plan to purchase or request be "thrown in" at the time of pickup? You know those MUST HAVES like hoses, leveling blocks, wheel chocks... are there other must haves?
2. Am I missing anything or has reading these forums made us well prepared?
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

On behalf of CrossRoads, welcome to our family. I'm sure the owners will have lots of things to say in regards to this topic and look forward to hearing their input.
If you should need ANYTHING at all, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Also- should you take any cool picture of your family using their camper, I would LOVE to put them on the CrossRoads facebook if you wanted. Just let me know!

Happy, Happy Camping!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like you are well prepared. The things you pick up later will be more preference. You may want a dogbone for your electric, a mini fan for the fridge and don't forget tp roller or stand. A bunk ladder may be useful also. Don't forget chairs and marshmallow forks.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would ask for vent covers. We always have them thrown in. One of those big level things that looks like a smile is a good thing as well. You can see it from the truck.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

X2! Yes I had to replace my vent covers when hail broke both. I now have the MaxxAir 2 over both.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

If you plan on dry camping, ask the dealer to "throw in" or at least give you a good deal on an accumulator. I mentioned this before in another post, have the tech run the fresh water pump. List to the noise - if you are happy with it - no problem, If not, have the dealer locate and deaden the noise shorts. The accumulator will prolong the life of your pump, plus smooth out the water flow. Tools: Electrical meter, various screwdrivers, 1/4 or 3/8 drive socket set, small air compressor (12v kind), residential extension cord, various electrical adapters (30 amp to 15 etc).....

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Good thinking on there. We get a lot of hail in this area.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you have it well covered. Most endeavors have a learning curve you are prepared so now have fun! Best of luck. Go Well.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

We picked up our new rig on Saturday. Everything went great for the new trailer. Our PDI guy was really knowledgeable, patient and thorough. We opted to go through the trailer on his preferred order and process and then returned to the PDI checklist we got off these forums to make sure nothing was missed. That meant checking some things twice just for our own peace of mind and this guy did not mind at all. The only items on our PDI checklist that he did not go through were a roof/seal inspection and testing of tank sensors. Glad we did. Looked like there was a couple air bubbles in the sealant for the front cap that popped right around the screws (got them refilled), and the gray tank sensor was not working (simple fix that the ground wire was not grounded). My husband got to witness how to access inside the enclosed underbelly, so the problem with the gray tank was a great opportunity to see that.

Thanks to all who post in these forums and have shared their knowledge with the PDI checklist. I felt like we were well prepared for delivery and are happy with our decision and cannot wait to take it out on our first trip. In the meantime I think we'll be doing some more practice towing in local parking lots. My husband is pretty comfortable with forward, needs to perfect backing up and I need work with both.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Congratulations!!
Also, it's very nice to hear that somebody actually took our advise and stuck to the PDI list. Good job.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Congratulations!!
Also, it's very nice to hear that somebody actually took our advise and stuck to the PDI list. Good job.
We made a HUGE jump from a popup to a 30ft fifth wheel. We did a lot of research about what would be best for our family, our travel plans and our travel style before deciding on this size, layout, etc. But we definitely don't know the details of purchasing/maintaining a rig like this. I figured there's a reason folks that have been through this at least once put these items on the PDI checklist and I wasn't about to question their expertise and skip over it.

It made for a long day going over every little detail. But it also meant we left there feeling confident about our trailer.

I highly recommend anyone about to make a purchase utilize the provided checklist.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Glad everything went well. Shows that this forum is beneficial to many. Glad you're aboard and best of luck with you new Crossroads.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Congratulations. I went with the RFZ31bh. That one was on the list of a possible purchase, when we got ours.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
Congratulations. I went with the RFZ31bh. That one was on the list of a possible purchase, when we got ours.
Thanks. We briefly considered the 31BH and the 32BH, but when we started looking into our upgrade plans we talked about keeping the length as short as possible while fulfilling our "needs" list. Plus we were sold on the triple bunks, having 3 kids and all.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We were basically full timing it this year. We were/are a camp ground host and part way thru the year I had to get the new trailer. We only have two kids so the three bunks and shorter trailer would have worked. But for us what made our mind up was having a separate room for the kids and the spot for their own tv.
When your living in it and the weather keeps you inside I wanted some seperation. So the kids can play in there room. But at the same time the unit is linger and heavier and will be harder to get in some of the small spots around here.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote