Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

It happens to all of them.

Just spoke with my in-laws last night and one of their friends just bought a Forest River Rockwood 5er to go RVing for retirement - fulfilling their dream. First trip out and they stopped at the end of the first day and opened the door to find their cupboards and all the contents on the floor - interior completely destroyed - now the dealer can't find them another unit the same as theirs and they may have to wait for another one to be built. I'm pretty sure they will just buy something different!
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
It happens to all of them.

Just spoke with my in-laws last night and one of their friends just bought a Forest River Rockwood 5er to go RVing for retirement - fulfilling their dream. First trip out and they stopped at the end of the first day and opened the door to find their cupboards and all the contents on the floor - interior completely destroyed - now the dealer can't find them another unit the same as theirs and they may have to wait for another one to be built. I'm pretty sure they will just buy something different!
A little off topic, but I *strongly* recommend that your in-laws find something other than a FR Rockwood for full-timing. I don't think that it is classified as a full-time RV. They really need something that is rated for full time use, because I don't think a Rockwood is going to hold up well for them. So perhaps it is well that this happened, so that they can find something more suited for their needs.

Now, back on topic. I don't want to sound like I am just picking on CR...I'm clearly stating that this is an industry wide problem. And I must say it is very unfortunate that I, as a prospective customer,
don't even expect to find a manufacturer who isn't putting out a
product without problematic flaws anymore. You would think as long as the RV industry has been around that everything would be down to a science by now.

There is a difference if the manufacturer is standing behind the customer, which it sounds like is the case with your in-laws. Like I said in an earlier post: it's not that there aren't problems across the board because there is - it is whether or not the manufacturer and dealer are standing by the customer.

It seems to me that CR used to have a reputation for doing just that, and that it was important to do so. Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but it doesn't seem that way now. And to make matters worse, they took away an outstanding warranty that made them an industry leader in that price range. And I do see posts on this forum that clearly indicate that people are not getting satisfaction or even a caring reply by a company rep. Look around at the Heartland and FR forums where you will find posts, replies and follow ups by company reps.

Edited by: Bobbi
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

The good news is this wasn't my in-laws but their friends who had this happen to them.And I don't think they did much research before buying the unit to go full-timing as my unit is way more built for that than the Rockwood and I wouldn't full-time in mine.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
The good news is this wasn't my in-laws but their friends who had this happen to them.And I don't think they did much research before buying the unit to go full-timing as my unit is way more built for that than the Rockwood and I wouldn't full-time in mine.
I'm sorry I misinterpreted whom you were referring to. My mistake.

But yes, you are right - Your RV is much more suited to full-timing than a Rockwood, for sure. If I were going to full-time, and we actually are considering doing that at some point, I would definitely do way more research than these folks apparently did. If I were your in-laws and I really cared about these friends, I would tell them straight up to get on the ball and do their research! I see problems, problems, problems down the road for them if they don't. I don't see how people can make a huge decision like that and not do their research first, and there's SO much more to consider than just the RV purchase - but that's a huge part.

Edited by: Bobbi
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on this topic. I purchased a 2014 Lincoln Rushmore 3 weeks ago. I do have a small list of issues that need to be corrected. I called my dealership Thursday and went over my list. They asked me when I was going camping again and I told them the 3rd week of August. They then told me to bring it in Tuesday and they would pull in bay Wednesday and get everything fixed. Happy with there response so far. Dealership is Boat n Rv in Tennessee. Also, I have used my camper once and had to stop at a truck stop. I found that a truck did hit the back of my new camper and scratched some paint of. This morning I sent an email to parts@crossroadsrv.com requesting the color code of this area. Within an hour I had a phone call and 2 emails from 2 different people from crossroads helping me out. So far the communication with crossroads and my dealership has been great. By the way, due to the 5 slides and all the various appliances and components I elected to purchase a 5 year warranty. Cost was $2000 but a significant issue could be alot more expensive.

Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestn
Just wanted to give my 2 cents on this topic. I purchased a 2014 Lincoln Rushmore 3 weeks ago. I do have a small list of issues that need to be corrected. I called my dealership Thursday and went over my list. They asked me when I was going camping again and I told them the 3rd week of August. They then told me to bring it in Tuesday and they would pull in bay Wednesday and get everything fixed. Happy with there response so far. Dealership is Boat n Rv in Tennessee. Also, I have used my camper once and had to stop at a truck stop. I found that a truck did hit the back of my new camper and scratched some paint of. This morning I sent an email to parts@crossroadsrv.com requesting the color code of this area. Within an hour I had a phone call and 2 emails from 2 different people from crossroads helping me out. So far the communication with crossroads and my dealership has been great. By the way, due to the 5 slides and all the various appliances and components I elected to purchase a 5 year warranty. Cost was $2000 but a significant issue could be alot more expensive.
Thank you for the positive feedback. I am always happy to hear of a positive experience!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

X2. Hope it continues
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote