Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
New Camper

First let me give you some background. My wife and I have had--and actively used--anRV since 1959. We've had six 'pull trailers' (never a 5th wheel) and are currently in our 7th motor home. They have ranged in size from a 16' Trotwood to our current 40' diesel coach. We've pulled with an American Motors Ambassador, several International Travelalls and Chevy/GMC Suburbans. (We have not been just week-end travelers.)

Age and physical limitations tell us that we should settle down. ..... We own a lot in a Florida park which limits trailers to 36'11" --really room enough for a couple of 'old foggies' to winter in for 4 or 5 months a year.

The CT32FK seems to meet our needs--maximizes space and puts our living area up front.The questions we haveare: what options are all but essential (?) and which could/should one do without? We will not be towing this trailer other than to our lot for setup--about 1,400 miles. I appreciate you reading through all of this and will appreciate any insights and advice you offer.

Arbea
Arbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

first off welcome to the forum. i dont have that model and i dont full time but i would think

1)10 gal hot water heater(or larger if available)

2)largest refrig available

3)upgrade the mattress

i'm sure someone else with more full time experience will chime in.good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Welcome to the forum

Insulation upgrade

AC upgrade

Not a full timer but these are what I would go for in addition to above.
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Also the thermo pane windows. Slide out awnings.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
New Camper

Thank you all for the suggestions offered. I guess I assumed too much. For years in motor homes I've had insulated glass window slide awnings and a 4dr refrigerator. The mattress I forgot all about! You're right too, the AC & insulation upgrades would be important in Florida. Currently having acentral Coleman AC/Heat Pump is somthing I know we will miss. Finally, my narrative was, I guess, missleading. We haven't been full timer, just fortunate enough to have the time to travel extensively via RVs. Again,thanks! Arbea
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. With your experience...I was hoping that youwere Offering advice instead of asking for it!

As already mentioned, any and all thermal upgrades to battle that Florida heat. Insulation, double pane windows, 50 amp service w/2 AC units. Pros/cons about the slide toppers, so I'll leave that one up to you, but window awnings may be a viable option. Another thought that would benefit as much as all of the others put together; if you own the lot you will be setup on, can you build an RV cover over the unit? This would greatly decrease your heat gain. (Well, extra insulation, DP windows and awnings would still help)

One concern that I have (being from South Louisiana) is your statement that it won't be moved once you get it setup in Florida...what are your plans WHEN, not IF a hurricane comes your way? LynnEdited by: Cobra909

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
New Camper

Mmmm, more comments that provoke thought. Again I assumed that 50 amp would be standard. You see, all we have is the brochure from the corportion and it combines infomation on both 5th wheels and the travel trailer we're interested in. We have yet to personally view the travel trailer in any floor plan. The nearest dealer is 60 miles and we just haven't gotten to that yet. As for the question on hurricane risk--that's a very real concern. We'll insure as best we can and just risk it. Our community has very (too) restrictive rules and regulations. No additional structures beyond a prescribed storage shed. Thanks, Lynn.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Arbea, if you'll notice on the Cruiser website under Standards/Options, it indicates a 30 amp service as standard. Also shows the 13.5K A/C. We have a single 15K in our 30SK and she struggles in mid summer with no shade.(the window upgrade wasn't an option when we purchased ours)

07 Cruiser 30SK

&lt
Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I agree with Lynn about getting the most AC you can get. In the South during the Summer with the heat and humidity get the 15k AC, Thermo Pane windows, and I would see about having a second 13.5k AC unit installed. Since you are going to be living in it full time I would look at added about every option available.Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Arbea:
If you are going to set the unit up in this park and it will just set there---why not look at a park model? It will more then likely have all of the afore mentioned plus more. We had one out in AZ. for 2 years (then the wonder lust set in again) and it proved to be quite adequate.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Old Farmer, that was the same thought I had but he said he needed to stay under 36'11". I think most park models are 38' and up.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Site Team

I don't know if length is something that is set in stone on a park mod. I was under the assumption they were varying length. When we were in AZ. park models couldn't be over 400 sq. ft.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
New Camper

Hunter and Old Farmer.....This is basically a travel trailer park. Actually it is an Airstream park (you know how some of those can be--I had one back in '64) but when they couldn't fill it with Airstreams they let SOB's (SomeOtherBrands) in. I'm one of those SOB's. It's a great park--clean well kept but they have their rules based upon Airstreams, including maximum lengths. Were that not the case I'd have a 'park model' in a heart beat.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

We had a 32' Airstream before we bought or first Crossroads product. We use to call it the "Silver Twinkie".
Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #15
Site Team

Arbea:
We have some friends that have Air Streams, plus lots for them @ ST. Cloud, MN. Now I understand your needs better.
They summer in MN. and winter in AZ.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Well, being one of the few TT's in this group, I can only reflect what others have said about the upgraded options. When we ordered our CT31RL a year ago, we checked almost every option and have not regretted our decision. The 15k AC, upgraded insulation and thermopane windows have kept us cool and comfortable during the Illinois summers. I also put in those vent pads with the solar shields to help deflect the heat from the fan openings. As others have stated, 30-amp service is standard, but a bunch of us have done the "circuit breaker mod" to further separate out the breakers so they do not trip as easily during those summer days when peak demand is high. Another mod was the "hunter thermostat" mod, in which you replace the original t-stat with a the hunter digital one from walmart. The stat keeps a more even temperature in the trailer. You could always call the factory and inquire as to whether they can upgrade the trailer to 50-amp and a second air unit. Never hurts to ask, especially since they were offering this upgrade on the 5th wheel.
Old Farmer, I have inlaws REAL close to St. Cloud, where do they stay?

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
Site Team

[
Old Farmer, I have inlaws REAL close to St. Cloud, where do they stay?

[/QUOTE]
Gossamar:
There is an Air stream RV Park at Clear Lake, MN.

Both couples have a lot there. We stayed there a couple times when visiting.
They put the SOBs WAY off in another area from the Air Streamers.
It was nice tho. Quiet and peaceful. We had water, electric, and shade trees.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

"We had a 32' Airstream before we bought or first Crossroads product. We use to call it the "Silver Twinkie"."

Friends had one, we called it the..."Silver Suppository"

"but when they couldn't fill it with Airstreams they let SOB's "

Oh, and thanks to Markbet, it looks like our 2009 catch phrase is gonna be "SOB".

07 Cruiser 30SK

&lt
Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

If you think that you are going to miss the heat pump, you might want to consider a heat strip for your A/c, we have on and it keeps you toasty warm on those 40 degree nights.

Lots of lock

2017 Thor Windsport
36' Motorhome
Pulling 2018 Ford Flex
usolm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

I would maby go with the new 32 gr and have a spot that points the v nose in to the wind and if its just going to sit there maby you should consider asking about deliveryfrom your dealer

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote